PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier+ trailer

michindi
08-18-2004, 08:18 PM
This is the 2nd time I have seen this in the past month... The one I saw today was at least a 2001 chevy cavalier pulling a small trailer. It had a side rack w/ a trimmer and an edger...The mower he has was a non commerical ridding mower...The kind you can buy at Home Depot. Has anybody eles seen anything like this??

BSDeality
08-19-2004, 02:07 AM
all the time. i had a guy approach me with a shitbox S10 with a utility box pulling a 5x8 trailer with a 38" murray rider on it after he cut the wheels to the curb and chocked the back ones he asked 'you doing this here account?' (i was there doing some landscaping, not the mowing.) i said nope. so he unloads; read "dropped" his mower off the trailer and proceeded to cut the place in 1st or 2nd gear on his murray. it must have taken him 2 hours to cut an acre. I figured it would only be a week or two before i got a call asking me to take over the account from the owner but while mowing last friday i saw him go by with not one, but two murrays on the trailer, evidently he hired one of his inbred friends to help him mow this 1+ acre place for a whopping $30. I guess he thinks he's makin money....

michindi
08-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Its a wonder how these people get the jobs

BSDeality
08-19-2004, 10:46 PM
its people that don't care about the lawn, the cheaper the better (for them).

rockandroller
08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
You guys are a little harsh!! Everyone's got to start somewhere. More power to em. If they're getting accounts they must be doing something right. This is my second year, 1st full time and I'm doing alright w my 4 banger, 5x8, and 2 commercial 21's. I won't upgrade until I absolutely have to.. I've got about 25 small accounts and no overhead...making good money. Growth will come in due time. Maybe this guy's got his sh.. together like I do.. You never know?

BSDeality
08-24-2004, 10:21 AM
ok, so you have "no overhead". lets role play here..

you charge $25 an acre now cause you have no overhead to pay for.

now, 2 years down the road you buy a new truck, trailer, bigger mowers, more efficient pieces of equipment, and you add a helper. suddenly you have $50K of 'overhead' plus the salary of a worker to pay for with your $25/acre yards.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but its people that have no idea of what their overhead is or at least should model are screwing the industry. we're one of the only services industries where the prices have been going down! People come in do it for cheap, even at a similar quality level, but they go belly up in a season or two. then they screw the market.

meathead1134
08-24-2004, 01:31 PM
How about a 2002 elantra pulling a 5x8 foot tilt deck trailer with a JD GS45 on the back along with other goodies THATS ME. First year I've got to start somewhere.

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by meathead1134
How about a 2002 elantra pulling a 5x8 foot tilt deck trailer with a JD GS45 on the back along with other goodies THATS ME. First year I've got to start somewhere.

At least you cutting with a quality mower.

I do some landscape work for an Inn, but they use someone else to mow (too far away for me). I sent him a bill last week for a fence we installed, at my normal rate of $45/hr. He flipped and said his mowing guys charge him $15/hr.

Well, I guess you can get there one of two ways.

1. Run cheap equipment, thereby maintaining little to no overhead.
2. Don't carry insurance, pay taxes, etc. In other words, don't operate legitimately.

I didn't think to ask him why he didn't use his mowing guys for the fence installation....

Funniest part is, I could probably mow the property 3x as fast, thereby equalizing our rates:D

meathead1134
08-24-2004, 03:09 PM
for my first year if I'm not averaging at least $30.00 and hour solo I am not happy

jlewis
08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by rockandroller
I've got about 25 small accounts and no overhead...making good money. Growth will come in due time. Maybe this guy's got his sh.. together like I do.. You never know?

:rolleyes:
No overhead?? Taxes, Insurance, etc count as overhead. Does your auto insurance co. know you use your car to tow a mower for commercial business?

Lets see..I had $200 to get a zoning variance to run a business from my house...roughly another $200 for the LLC...Liability runs about $400...Registration runs about $100 a year..Truck/trailer and tool insurance run $1000 a year...That does not count fuel, repairs, consumable parts (bits/blades etc) uniforms or taxes!

Nobody ever said being legal was cheap, but if you have no overhead, you don't have your sh.. together.

LawnBoy89
08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by BSDeality
all the time. i had a guy approach me with a shitbox S10 with a utility box pulling a 5x8 trailer with a 38" murray rider on it after he cut the wheels to the curb and chocked the back ones he asked 'you doing this here account?' (i was there doing some landscaping, not the mowing.) i said nope. so he unloads; read "dropped" his mower off the trailer and proceeded to cut the place in 1st or 2nd gear on his murray. it must have taken him 2 hours to cut an acre. I figured it would only be a week or two before i got a call asking me to take over the account from the owner but while mowing last friday i saw him go by with not one, but two murrays on the trailer, evidently he hired one of his inbred friends to help him mow this 1+ acre place for a whopping $30. I guess he thinks he's makin money....

That close to one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

BSDeality
08-25-2004, 02:09 AM
lawnboy, i wish i had my camera on me that instance, seeing him standing there in his sweat pants, nascar shirt and half laced up hi-top sneakers was quite teh site.

he also discharged the first two perimeter passes (going counter-clockwise) into my freshly edged and mulched beds.

moneyman
08-25-2004, 05:21 AM
Who cares what type of equipment a person runs? Some of you are worse than kids in high school ragging on some one clothes or shoes.

rockandroller
08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Alright you veterans. I hear ya, but I stick to my guns. Go with what you have in the beginning. If you have no cash to invest in new top of the line gear, be resourceful and get what you can afford. The guy with the Murray will soon learn that investing in better equiptment will save in the long run, and will turn out a better product. My point is, maybe this guy's savvy w'/customers and does a good job on their lawns. You guys don't know for sure what he is charging...If he is charging too low, he will also learn another lesson the hard way, and will be kicking himself in a couple of years. As far as my condition right now, yes I do have overhead, but I'm not paying a new truck payment, or bogged down with debt from mowers I don't yet need. I'll have to buck up at some point, but as long as I can get new clients taht pay my price, and I'm still making good cake, I'll stick with my 21's...

rockandroller
08-25-2004, 07:50 PM
B.S.
A sidebar here...I hear your complaint about all the lowballers out there, but remember, the low ballers will eventually weed themselves out with poor quality, or unreliability. I'm just starting but I understand this concept. If people complain that I'm charging way more than the boy next door I tell them to stick with them cause they've got a good thing. But 9 times out of 10 they'll call back because that guy didn't show up. It's darwinism. The cream will always rise to the top! Just my 2 cents....

BSDeality
08-25-2004, 09:19 PM
rock'n: i fully understand the low-budget approach. i started with a used 50" WB and it payed for itself many times over. however i never did work cheaper (intentionally) than the market should bear, i would much rather see a guy with the "low overhead" but still charges an professional price over someone who may also have "low overhead" but charge 1/2 or 1/3 of the market price!

we know they'll weed themselves out, but the HO's don't. they only remember one thing: price.

as for the price thing, i know he was charging $30 to do this property. i bid on the property @ $65/cut and the lady damn near had a heart attack as she gasped "my last guy did it for $30" i asked what happened to him and she said "i don't know, his brother said he went south". I politely told her to call me if she has any problems with the next guy not showing up.

Scraper
08-31-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by jlewis
:roughly another $200 for the LLC...

Why even waste the money? The courts will break thru that even if you have a couple employees. Only sure way to protect from liability is to incorporate.