PDA

View Full Version : fetilizer issues

jsfrk
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Does anyone use Natural/Organic fertilizers?

All other fertilziers seem to be harmful to our health, not to mention the enviromental. Read this larticle if you think I am crazy.

http://www.cqs.com/elawn.htm

Hamons
08-19-2004, 03:45 PM
I uase natural/organic fertilizers. However I use them for the quality of turf they produce as much as the environmental benefits.

Right now I ma using nature safe products

Neal Wolbert
09-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Interesting how some of those "scare you into submission" articles can do just that sometimes. It seems to ask a question that doesn't have an answer, i.e. "...just how much ----- is leaching into the water table?, puts the one posing the question in a superior postion without proving anything. I suggest you look for balance in information such as you will find on www.pestfacts.org for factual, non-emotional, reliable, "non-scary" information. Neal

timturf
09-15-2004, 04:23 PM
problem with MOST sythetic fertilizers is the high salt index and the chlorine level! These two things can kill soil micro organism, while an organic will feed them. Why not use the best of both!

TurfProSTL
09-16-2004, 02:46 AM
problem with MOST sythetic fertilizers is the high salt index and the chlorine level! These two things can kill soil micro organism, while an organic will feed them. Why not use the best of both! timturf, you're the man! OK, Hamon, you are too. I've used organic-based fertilizers for the past 3 seasons. Makes me feel like the great environmentalist (that I can assure you I am), but more importantly, my lawns look great! No fungicides needed. Sometimes I get a little rust when Mama Nature doesn't accomodate me with a little rain. As a matter of fact, I haven't watered my lawn in 2004. Although if we don't get some rain soon, I'll have to do it, just to get the aerator to pull plugs. Greenest lawn on the block - no water - organic based fertilizers only.....

I use organic-based blends for the most part, containing SOP (not that high-salt & high-chlorine MOP) and small percentages of other N sources. NutrientsPLUS fertilizers for the last 1-1/2 years. My customers and I couldn't be more pleased.....

HazyDavy
09-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I generally use Alfalfa pellets or Espoma Organic Lawn fertilizer. Except in the spring when I use CGM for it's pre-emergent value.

NCL
09-20-2004, 08:25 PM
TimTurf what type of fert. would you recomend to replace a synthentic fert???

timturf
09-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Most of my fertilizer are a combination of an organic and sythetic fertilizer, and I don't use the chemist definition of an organic!

Hamons
09-20-2004, 10:01 PM
ureaformaldehyde has a low burn potential with a salt index of .3 -- which is even lower than miilorganite at .7.

These are compared to Urea 1.6 and ammonium nitrate 3.2

timturf
09-21-2004, 08:58 AM
what is the salt index of sop and mop?

dishboy
09-21-2004, 10:28 AM
what is the salt index of sop and mop?

MOP 1.9 per unit
SOP 0.9 per unit

According to turfgrass management by A.J. Turgeon