PDA

View Full Version : Grubs this time of year

Planter
08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
I've been in Greece for 8 months working on the Olympic project and will be home August 30. My wife tells me that I have a grub problem in the lawn. Since I've let my pesticide license expire 10 years ago I'm at a loss as to what is best this time of year to handle the problem. Any suggestions from the pros on the board?

Thanks,
Planter

PS I can't wait to get on my tractor and move a little dirt!

cemars
08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
There are two ways to address grub control, one is a preventative application before grub hatch (usually applied in May-July) with Merit or Mach 2, the other is to use a product such as Dylox to kill grubs that have hatched and are in sufficient quantity to damage turf. When your wife says a grub problem, does she mean visable damage caused by grubs or did she see a few when digging in the garden? Grub damage is usually visable mid August-October so you will know soon.

grassguy_
08-20-2004, 05:48 PM
As cemars said, best to hit with Dylox now since they are already actively feeding at this stage, otherwise early on then use Merit or Mach2. Some damage will be noticeable now ut most of the damage will come from the skunks, crows and raccons that dig everywhere for them.

philk17088
08-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Checked 8 lawns in one development today. 10-12 grubs per square foot in each lawn, spread all over the entire lawn. I put down dylox and now i hope it rains. Customers are no help with watering. It looks to be a bad year this year.

dishboy
08-21-2004, 01:40 AM
I am over in Idaho, billbug are still in the larva stage in some lawns. I would guess that is what you are seeing over there also?

Planter
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I know that it is grubs, they are everywhere in the area. I just couldn't remember what was the chemical of choice for fall control.

Thanks,
Planter

Wolfie's L&L
08-21-2004, 11:57 AM
If I may ask, what are you doing down at the Olympics?

Jason

pben
08-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I have a similar problem with big grubs actively feeding now and birds and animals digging for them. Dylox doesn't work for me on big grubs. What else can be used successfully at this time of year?

Planter
08-22-2004, 11:25 AM
CTHLandscaping
I was working as a security consultant. Out of work now (as of Aug 29) and the summer landscape season is near an end. Looks like a cold and tight winter at my house.

Thanks for all the help.
Planter