PDA

View Full Version : How do you teach your elderly clients???

Critical Care
08-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Okay, I give up! I have some maintenance clients who are always thinking that they're using too much water and it's costing them a fortune.

This one particular lady doesn't want to water more than twenty minutes per zone, and it doesn't matter what heads are on the zone, what type of nozzles are being used, or what the precip rate is. I can't get it through her head that she's not putting down enough water. The grass is a mix of semi green in shady areas to crunchy brown in other places. To tell you the truth I don't like being seen doing maintence at this place. She's a nice lady, but... But how do you teach them???

gusbuster
08-20-2004, 01:30 PM
You don't!

Document that you recommended increased watering.

When she complains about browning, you have proof that you recommended increased water.

My clients are predominately seniors. Fixed income and such. Water cost in my area has increased dramatically since they didn't want to pay for upgrading infrastructure back in the 80's and 90's.

I always tell them, you water or the lawn dries period.

A lot of times they want me to fert, but refuse due to watering pattern. I tell them that the fert will do more damage if proper watering isn't maintained.

You can preach all you want but if they know better, they won't listen.

Critical Care
08-20-2004, 07:21 PM
You're dead on about the fertilizer, and I reminded this same lady that her lawn hasn't had any fertilizer applied to it at all this year. You know, I just remembered... I did an irrigation and bark install job at her son's place, and guess what. Ditto... same thing.

IRS
08-21-2004, 12:56 AM
Try quoting county extention agent or state agencey older people
have lots of respect for what they have to say, or you might get some of there publications and give to older folks it works for me.

DanaMac
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Elderly can be very tough. They tend to get stuck in their ways. had one lady who's Rainbird RC mechanical timer went out. I replaced with a RB ESP timer. First, it is cheaper than a new RC. Second, she could get a rebate from CS Utilities for the ESP. After a week she called and wanted it replaced with a new RC due to not understanding how to use it. She couldn't figure how to manually run it. All you have to do is push one button that says MANUAL and it starts. How much easier can it get?

Critical Care
08-22-2004, 11:46 AM
IRS... as ironic as it is, but I worked at the extension office.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, DandMac! Kinda funny in a way, isn't it?