PDA

View Full Version : Not enough water??

2k1yzfr1
08-21-2004, 12:52 AM
I have good lawncare client that has been complaining about her sprinkler system for the past few months about how she has very little pressure. Today after I finished mowing I turned on her system and found that she barely had enough pressure to raise 4 rotors and they were barely putting out any water. She had a spray zone with 10-12 8' and 10' halfs and you could push the head down with 2 fingers. I hooked my pressure gauge up to her house and found that she had 65 PSI. What should I start looking at first?? I thought she might have had old galvanized from the meter to the double check, but it is 1" pvc. Any ideas what could be wrong??

Justin

Green & Clean
08-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Check to see if that valves VOLUME control is restricting water flow.

jerryrwm
08-21-2004, 01:47 AM
Justin,

How old is the system?

Also, rather than just reading the static pressure at the hose bibb, turn on a sprinkler zone and check the pressure then. Also, check the pressure on both sides of the DCA. You may have a fouled check.

Is there a Master Valve, or manual valve that may be partially closed.

Check the Point of Connection. If they cut into the supply and used a compression tee they may not have cut enough pipe out, or they may not have centered the outlet over the cutout.

Has there been any construction near the water meter or possibly any utility work done where the city side supply line may have gotten kinked or bent? (Had this happen to me a few years ago on a new install - but that's another story for another time)

Also check to see if the corporation stop on the meter is open all the way.

Are there any possible areas that may have had some kind of new digging, planting, fencing etc that may have damaged the mainline and the leaks are not readily apparent?

That's a start. Let us know what you find out.

Jerry R

DanaMac
08-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I have found many homes where the supply line to the house is not open completely. Either a ball or gate valve in the basement by the meter, or the stop-and-waste at the street.