PDA

View Full Version : Dump body kit

Liberty Lawncare
08-21-2004, 11:28 PM
I am interested in getting a kit from northern tool catalogue. The kit will be for my 3/4 ton HD gmc 4x4. This kit uses your existing truck bed into a dump bed. Load capacity of the kit is 4000 lbs. The cost is $869.
Does anybody have one of these kits?
I would appricate any info on this kit. I am tired of unloading stuff by hand. With fall coming and all those leaves:eek:

bnrhuffman
08-22-2004, 09:52 PM
I have no personal experience with them but I will say that I wouldnt want one. You must raise the bed to put fuel in on the ones Ive seen. God forbid you have to fuel up with a load of mulch, trash, dirt, whatever. You would just have to dump it right at the pumps. Maybe that wont bother you but it would me.

LLandscaping
08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
I would look at a dump insert, because the factory truck beds are not made to hold up to the abuse of putting a lift under it.
www.ezdumper.com

BSDeality
08-23-2004, 01:46 AM
i've heard that those kits will twist a stock bed unless you strengthen them.

Liberty Lawncare
08-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by BSDeality
i've heard that those kits will twist a stock bed unless you strengthen them.
I also have heard this. But if The bed is reinforced and its not overloaded it may be ok. The inserts are about 800 lbs. That is alot of weight to have on the truck all the time. 800 lbs = more gass use IMO.
I wish I knew someone who has one.:confused:

bligh61
08-28-2004, 10:22 AM
i have a truck craft aluminum dump insert. best purcase i ever made. i can change trucks and switch the bed.

kc2006
08-29-2004, 12:44 AM
You have to re-route the filler neck into the wheelwell or down below the bed. Alot of people say they'll make the bed twist but I talked to a couple people that have them and have had them for years with no problem. A p/u truck bed is made to twist, thats why if you don't have a tailgate on you can actually see the bed sides move whenyour driving (alittle, they don't flop or anything) I'll be buying on for my 96 ford, I think some kits even come with a reinforcing kit, i remember talking to that northern tool place and i think they said it came with some extra bars.

Liberty Lawncare
08-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Kc I just seen one it looked verry sturdy it was reinforced with a 1/2 in thick by 2in wide piece of steel down each side (under the body). The owner said it worked great and has had it for 3 years. I also like the fact the kit and reinforcement only weighs about 300 lbs not 800 lbs like an insert.

googles
12-22-2005, 02:06 PM
I have the dump kit on my silverado pickup. i dont like it because it weak. they make it seem like you can dump a lot of weight. you cant. i cant dump more then a yard of dirt. its only good for leaves and light mulch. plus everything gets hold up by the wheel wells. plus if you are loaded with to many wet leaves or just too much weight you still have to dig it out of bed plus you can put gas in the dump because you have to now lift the bed to do it. buy a dump truck

beautifullawns
12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I think with those kits you have to lose you hitch or remove your bumper and relocate it. You might want to look into it. I bought a used EZ-Dumper insert for $750 and it is great. I've put 3 yards of loam in it and it still lifted it!

The Cowboy
12-22-2005, 03:52 PM
I got my Northern Tool catalogue yesterday, and was wondering the same thing. If I did have that kit installed, would the bed be setting a bit higher than it was before? I don't want my F-150 to lose its clean lines.

Anyone have a picture of one? What brand is it?

googles
12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
I think with those kits you have to lose you hitch or remove your bumper and relocate it. You might want to look into it. I bought a used EZ-Dumper insert for $750 and it is great. I've put 3 yards of loam in it and it still lifted it!

yes you are right i had to loose my hitch have a rewelded and extended and then they had to move the bumper up and weld it. looking at a lot more expenses going with the dump kit plus you and pump gas the normal way. go with the ez dump

hosejockey2002
12-22-2005, 05:58 PM
I think your choice of insert vs. dump kit depends on your intended use. There's a guy who posts on LS who makes a dump kit that maintains the factory look without interfering with the rear bumper or hitch. His kit costs about the same as a dump insert. I prefer a dump insert because the insert takes the beating rather than the truck bed itself. It also has a double acting tailgate that you can set up to spread gravel, and if you can fabricate, you can put a coal chute in the tailgate for unloading small quantities. You can't do either one with a dump kit. A dump insert is also easier to move from one truck to another. A dump kit is more or less permanently installed. The downsides of the insert are more weight, a higher load height and loss of the factory look.

The Cowboy
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
I think your choice of insert vs. dump kit depends on your intended use. There's a guy who posts on LS who makes a dump kit that maintains the factory look without interfering with the rear bumper or hitch. His kit costs about the same as a dump insert. I prefer a dump insert because the insert takes the beating rather than the truck bed itself. It also has a double acting tailgate that you can set up to spread gravel, and if you can fabricate, you can put a coal chute in the tailgate for unloading small quantities. You can't do either one with a dump kit. A dump insert is also easier to move from one truck to another. A dump kit is more or less permanently installed. The downsides of the insert are more weight, a higher load height and loss of the factory look.

Which guy is he? what company?

hosejockey2002
12-22-2005, 08:55 PM
StealthDumptrucks.