PDA

View Full Version : Metro?

LawnBoy89
08-22-2004, 09:06 AM
So I was out yesterday and while I was out my mom and dad decided they were going to go talk to someone about lawnmowers. So they went to the nearest dealer (Giant Oak) and talked to some kid there.

He told my parents that I should get the metro because the TT is alot more expensive and it has alot more problems that are alot more expensive.

So now my dad wants a Metro. I've looked at the stats and it says 6.2 mph with reverse assist. All the others just say 2.2 mph reverse. So I don't understand. Does it have reverse? What is reverse assist?

Also, looking at the metro, I didn't notice a handle that was for putting it in gear. So how exactly do you put this thing in gear. I coudln't see all angles of the mower, so is the gear changer below the handles?

Thanks guys.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 10:24 AM
i don't know about putting a metro in gear but the assist reverse is just what it says...
when you put it in reverse the mower will help you back up but not do all the work. you will have to pull it back your self.
i was thinking about getting a metro also but i opted for the viking hydro. yes it is more expensive and will cost more when it breaks but being able to sit on a sulky all day and never have to worry about any thing is well worth the extra $1500 - $2000 price tag. also if your going to spend the money on a hydro, get the tthp.
i wish i got the floating deck :mad:

GrassBustersLawn
08-22-2004, 10:37 AM
I have a METRO HP. If you get a METRO, get the HP!!! (Has floating deck & height is easily changed by pulling 4 cotter pins.) THe TT is almost as expensive as a Lazer HP, but it DOES HAVE REVERSE. The REVERSE ASSIST on the METRO is a JOKE. I don't even bother putting it in reverse anymore. Just leave it in forward gear and pull the brakes until it goes into neutral, then PULL it backward. I'm 6'5" and 285, so it is not too bad to muscle around, but smaller people may have a problem. Also, you learn real quick to not get stuck in a bad position, like having to pull it backwards UP HILL, it is much harder!

Overall, It is a GREAT MOWER. Stripes as well or better than my Lazer HP. I would still get it, especially if you don't want to spend the $2,000 EXTRA to get a hydro TT.

Mike

Josh18
08-22-2004, 10:38 AM
I have a metro also. It's a very good mower for the money. It's deffinately not the most luxurious of all the commercial mowers, but its a great place to start making money. With 15-20 accounts you can have that thing paid off in a couple of months, then it's all profit from there.

ihatestumps
08-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I got the metro this year as a backup. Looking back I wish I had just got another TT.
Between the fixed deck ripping everything up, the so called reverse assist, belt slipping off and this new steering system they've got, this thing has a permanent place in the back of my shop. I'd rather use my 1982 Toro.

My advice, If there is any way to upgrade do whatever you can. Maybe a used TT would be good to start with.

BTW you shift with your knee by sliding a lever .

s and s mowing
08-22-2004, 11:40 AM
im wanting a metro too,i have a laxer 60 but have 4 yards that have a lot of trimming with 21,and im wanting to cut down on the push mowing time.how much is a metro and which one do i need for my use,might use it 1 hr to 2 hrs a week.

MTR
08-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Lawnboy89, I have both a 36" metro and a 52" TTHP. I started out with the Metro back in '02 and my advice is spend the money as worthy as you can when you start. Here is 2 options.

#1. Get the 52" TTHP/ECS now and learn your experience from it cause in future it will help you tremendously due to its productivity and the dual hydro system.

#2. Get a used 52" TTHP/ECS now if you can find one with decent price and condition. Explanation is the same as #1.
There is no other choices.

Nothing else matters if you have that 52" to start. It takes so much time and effort to crawl to that size and drive system that will seriously make money for you. Forget Metro cause you will sell it later as soon as you get hydro floater later, and the 52" will come in your brain again. So why don't you get the right one to start?

hope this help, just my 2 cents...

LawnBoy89
08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Yea, I the first time I saw it say reverse assist I knew it was a joke, what could it possibly be if it doesn't push it back.

I can't get anything bigger then a 48'' as of right now, because of tha fact that I don't have a trailor yet and I will just have to use the back of the truck. I'm definetly considering a used TTHP now and I'm hoping my dad will consider it.

One more question. Is the only difference between a floating deck and a fixed deck the way you highten it? Because I don't see how it is any better.

Thanks for all the help guys.

MikeLT1Z28
08-22-2004, 07:57 PM
the trans drive belt with the improper tension will also cause the reverse assist to not work too well. adjust that and it will pull better. i am a small person, 5' 7 and 135 and i really have no problems backing mine up, with or without the assist. the reason the other says 2.2mph is it's a hydro machine, with true reverse.

MikeLT1Z28
08-22-2004, 07:59 PM
the floating deck has rollers that allow it to articulate over obstacles (uneven spots, roots, etc) where the fixed deck is rigid and won't budge. anything over a 36" fixed deck tends to scalp more.

LawnBoy89
08-22-2004, 10:50 PM
Yea, then I will definetly get the floating deck because just my lawn would have problems with it, never mind others.

I think that I have been doing my lawn the same way for so long in this certain spot, that if I ever get backed up and have to go over it again the opposite way, it gest scalped because the tractor actually made dips in the lawn. Maybe not but I think that might be the problem. Well anyways, thanks alot, I'm probably either going to get the metro floating deck or go for a used TT HP. Thanks for the help guys.

Itsgottobegreen
08-22-2004, 11:01 PM
I have a metro only due to the fact at the time I bought it no one made a 32" hydro. I bought mine used. But buy a viking or the turf tracer. Belt drives are great starter machines, but hydros will run circles around them.

LawnBoy89
08-22-2004, 11:38 PM
If I go used, is this a good decision? Or are used mowers usually really beat up and not worth it?

Itsgottobegreen
08-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Find you self a person that has been around walkbehinds for a long time before you buy used. Let them run it around and check it out. They can help out, by finding a problem that you wouldn't even know is a problem. Since they would know what to look for.

Some times you can find dame near new mowers (guy didn't like it, sold business, etc.) other times you can find one on it last legs and should be taken out back and shot. I have looked at tons of used equipment. There are good and bad stuff. You just need to know when to walk away from stuff. I get dragged to look at equipment for friends. I have to talk them out of a lot of stuff.

LawnBoy89
08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Hmmm, I don't really have anyone like that. I'm friendly with the two guys that mow the guys across the street's lawn and he want's to sell his 2 wb's. They are kinda old and beat up though. I know they are both eXmark's, just not sure which kind.

I would get the new Metro but the fact of no reverse bothers me when it comes to turning around. Also when I put it on the truck I might back it on, and without reverse that might really be hard.

Itsgottobegreen
08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Backing up a ramp is not a good idea. Always go forward.

I have belt drives and have had hydro walk behinds. If you know what your doing, you can avoid needing to back up with belt drives. I was 13 when I bought my first belt drive. So you shouldn't have a problem with it.

First time I ran a hydro I dame near ran over the sales guy. (The funny part is that, when the sales guy was first shown how to run one, he ran over the guy from the disruptor)

It takes so practices to run either belt or hydros correctly. Belt drives are easier to run.

Only the snapper belt drives can run in reverse by themselves, because they have two idlers pulleys gripping the belt.

khutch
08-24-2004, 07:41 AM
What's a "disruptor"?

LawnBoy89
08-24-2004, 09:41 AM
One more question. When you turn around on your w/b (if you have one) you do put one wheel in reverse? I heard if you don't you'll tear the grass. That is another thing I am worried about.