PDA

View Full Version : Aerator Cam vs Drum ?????

Five Diamond Lawns
08-22-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm looking to get another aerator and have been reading threads about the Plugger and the Ryan which have cam driven tines. Talked to my local dealer and a lot of local people but no one uses cam driven aerators in this area NW.
I hear the Plugger has problem with hills and that scares me a little as we are not shy on hills in my area.
I did call and receive the promotional info from the Plugger, it looks interesting.

So I ask you--- Plus and minus -- Cam vs Drum

By the way I am currently running an BillyGoat aerator, like it but would not buy another.

Cutters Lawn Care
08-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I have a tow behind drum. Filled with water it weighs about 375 lbs. Only problem I have with it, is if it hasn't rained in a while there is barely any penetration. A few months ago I bought a walkbehind bluebird with 4 hp honda motor. It handles hills well. No problem with penetration even when it hasn't rained in a while.

walker-talker
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I just ordered my Plugr and it should be here this week, but then again, I live in Kansas. I also have a Bluebird with the 4hp engine, but looking to get rid of it.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80904

Spanky64
08-22-2004, 02:01 PM
I purchased a plugr 600 last Spring, and there is no comparison between a day of aeration with a drum, and a day with the plugr. I was beat at the end of the day with a drum, but the plugr is much easier to operate. As for hills you will have to transverse them sideways. We are fairly flat here is Southwest Kansas. I haven't regretted getting the plugr.

khutch
08-22-2004, 05:32 PM
I have only used my PlugR about 5 times. On flat ground I don't think a drum can match in in productivity, and you will be much fresher at the end of a day. Hills, yes, a different story....But again, I have not used it enough on hills yet to be too critical.....

BENTLEY'S L. C.
08-22-2004, 06:30 PM
I've had my plugr for a year. Very easy on the body. It' harder on the hills though. If you have a lot of hills I would look at some other brands.

Five Diamond Lawns
08-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Any one out there run the Ryan's cam driven aerator? If so are they any better on hills?