PDA

View Full Version : Turf Mag

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 01:05 PM
More and more that I get this magazine I am turned off by it. I don't know if it's the editor from his article two months ago, or what. Has anybody else changed their feelings for it since then?

Just curious

specialtylc
08-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Well sort of. Its mostly just advertisments. Same as the Lawn & Landscape magazine. I wish they would do more product testing and reviews.

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Well sort of. Its mostly just advertisments. Same as the Lawn & Landscape magazine. I wish they would do more product testing and reviews.

I have to agree with that. There is only a handful of articles that I read in there. The rest is just ads!

fga
08-22-2004, 01:16 PM
guys, the magazine is free........ take what you can from it, and disregard the rest.

CJ GreenScapes
08-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Yeah, how dare they GIVE me a magazine and put those advertisements in there. LOL

I agree that there are more ads than articles. Most of the articles are not related directly to me and my business, but I have found it very informative just the same. To me its worth it just to see what Lawnsite thread they choose to put in there...

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 03:08 PM
but they never part everything in the thread article. They cut & paste who they want in the article

dkeisala
08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Trade mags are free because they are supported by vendor advertising. They need to pepper them with articles to get us to turn the pages and look at the ads. Most of it is useless garbage but I always find I walk away with some useful tidbit of information.

Randy Scott
08-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Landscape Management is my favorite magazine. Helpful articles about the business end of it. The others just focus on the stupid equipment. After 6 months in this business you can pretty much know what equipment is good and which is bad. Shoving it down my throat everyday does nothing.

Acute Cut
08-23-2004, 12:37 AM
I have to disagree with yall. I think TURF's field test articles are great! I think that Acute guy should write more!:D (Disclaimer: I may be a little biased though!)

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 12:38 AM
so it really didn't have a good throttle then Acute?

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I was actually thinking of getting one until I read your article. I need the lower speed on the trimmers a lot of times so that kind of threw me off with what you said. Maybe I will stick with my 2 cycle a little longer.

Acute Cut
08-23-2004, 11:07 AM
My opinion is this. Demo one and keep an eye on that point. Some people say it wears in eventually. My bigger stihl did. But i have to write what happened on the trimmer i had. Thats all i am saying.

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Acute Cut
My opinion is this. Demo one and keep an eye on that point. Some people say it wears in eventually. My bigger stihl did. But i have to write what happened on the trimmer i had. Thats all i am saying.

I have two FS85's and two 4-mix's and have to agree with Acute. Both are great but for edging/trimming purposes the ability to better control the throttle on the FS85 in crucial, especially in close quarter residential zones and other areas where you don't want/need speed and torque. The FS85 is noticeably lighter as well making it far more comfortable to use. Plus, the FS85 is a more affordable trimmer. Given those variables, I'm gonna stick with the FS85 however I'm not totally unhappy with the 4-mix. It has it's uses.

odin
08-23-2004, 12:59 PM
two years they been saying my subscrition is running out resubscribe ...i didnt and it keep's a comming.

Just more garbage to throw away .I have the 4mix and fs85's .Both or good i love the the 4 mix ....and the stick edger 4/mix powers tho those walks that aint been edged in years .Like a hot knife though butter.

Being heavy i could care less the 4 mix is well balanced and comfortable to this scottish brute lol.

LawnBoy89
08-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Where do I get this FREE magazine?

fga
08-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by LawnBoy89
Where do I get this FREE magazine? what happen to the link that used to be up at the top? or was there one?

odin
08-23-2004, 01:19 PM
try here should be able to sign up online

http://www.turfmagazine.com/

LawnBoy89
08-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks. Hopefully that will decrease the amount of stupid questions that I ask you guys.

Acute Cut
08-23-2004, 06:07 PM
Lawnboy:
I have been here for years and still find an abundance of stupid questions i can ask everyone.:D

As for the stihl edger:
YUP! Best eger i have ever used. Even better than the push ones.

Four C. Landscaping
08-23-2004, 06:40 PM
I have had a (dare I say it?) FREE subscription to Landscape Management for four years and have found it very helpful and informative.They always have product info and test results as well as ALCA updates and business advice columns.These magazines are free becouse of the ads and the ads are info as well.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Acute Cut
Lawnboy:
I have been here for years and still find an abundance of stupid questions i can ask everyone.:D

same with me. I always learn something new on here. And you can't learn anything without asking stupid questions

Blessed 1
08-23-2004, 11:20 PM
I enjoy them myself. I actualy put them in the bathroom and eventually read every article. I have learned a lot.

txlawnking
08-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I got one for the first time at the Houston expo this weekend.. Mostly adds, but very interesting still... I liked the Landscape one too.

naturescape
08-24-2004, 12:49 AM
I think the editor, David Cassidy, is a complete idiot. Of course, my political views are 180 degrees from his. I need to cancel my subscription soon. In his latest editorial, he laments the lose of DDT! What a maroon! LOL

fga
08-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Blessed 1
I enjoy them myself. I actualy put them in the bathroom and eventually read every article. I have learned a lot. my wife hates my bathroom "clutter" magazines. jegs, summit, turf, harbor freight. aaaahhhhhhh quiet.

Acute Cut
08-24-2004, 11:01 AM
Ahh....The arsenal of a man's throne. I have three bathrooms all of them have lawn mags of different sorts in every one of them.

I think that honestly some people are too hard on these mags. Personally, and i know i am sick here, i love looking at the ads in these magazines. I get to see extremely innovative machines and tools. I have botten some and some i just dream about. (boughten?)

I think it is mags like this that have propelled some products onto the market. Meg-mo, Ferris, Magna Matics, Edgit, etc, etc. I dont see it as a junk filled mag. I see it as a catalog for Big Daddy Landon.:D Now we just need a few more girls in bikinis in there and i bet alot of you would "read" happily.:eek:

Next month they have my 60" Lazer article coming out and i think the wright stander after that. I am biased as my articles are in there so i really look forward to reading these magazines every month.

Honestly though, some mags have turned me away with thier in depth coverage of bugs and pestecides. I have a sub for that kinda stuff. Not my bag baby.