PDA

View Full Version : I just messed up big time!

rmdane2000
08-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey all! I just mixed up some bottles and put Ortho Ground Clear all over a yard I was spraying for basic weeds (broadleaf, crabgrass, etc)...

Is there anyway to nutralize the Ground Clear? Water it? Something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

olderthandirt
08-22-2004, 01:53 PM
look on the bright side at least you eliminated the weeds. lmao
sorry could not resist.

Mac

Shoreline Lawn Care
08-22-2004, 01:54 PM
1. Read the label and read it quickly. There is sometimes a 2 hour window as with round-up.

2. Call and get prices on new sod.

3. Go to the fridge and grab a cold one.

GOOD LUCK!!
:o

dkeisala
08-22-2004, 01:56 PM
If it is systemic then water would probably help to neutralize it but some damage may still be sustained depending on how much time it has been sitting on a lawn. Otherwise, you're probably screwed. How 'bout giving the 800 number on the back of the bottle a call?

Ryan Lightning
08-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Did that 2 years ago, We always had one backpack for round-up and one for lawns. I took the one for lawns home on a Sat. sprayed the lawn then mixed round-up and was going to clean it later. Went by my partners house on Sun, and dropped it off, Showed up Mon. morning and it was empty, My partner decided to do a account on Sun to get ahead. Well he sprayed about 1000 sq feet at a really nice account in early summer, Had no choice had to resod.
Your probally better off, you can water alot, and reseed for free in a few weeks.

rmdane2000
08-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Yeah, ortho isn't open until monday morning...don't have the bottle anymore, I was spraying at a duplex I own, and it sat on a shelf for a few weeks, do you think that might make it lose some potentcy?

BCSteel
08-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by rmdane2000
... I was spraying at a duplex I own, and it sat on a shelf for a few weeks, do you think that might make it lose some potentcy?

No, your hooped. But at least you own the prop :(

khutch
08-22-2004, 06:12 PM
If you applied too much of the wrong product, you might want flush the area with 1 to 2 inches of water daily for 3 to 4 days. Maybe more important - spread 3 to 4 pounds of granular, activated charcoal or liquid activated charcoal over the affected area. Activated charcoal helps absorbs whatever you put down, but TIMING is key....better do it ASAP!

khutch
08-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Also, couple of weeks on the shelf makes no difference......

rmdane2000
08-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Darn...I was hoping somebody would say, yeah! Just pour sugar on it! :rolleyes:

Alright, I'm watering it right now...will keep doing that for a couple days

BCSteel
08-22-2004, 06:36 PM
How long has it been since you sprayed and you started watering?

muddstopper
08-23-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm not firmilar with Ground Clear but if it is glyphosate, you are just wasting water trying to flush it out.

James Cormier
08-23-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeh I agree with mudstopper, dont bother,

however the good thing about round up or maybe ground clear, you can seed now, So go out and rent a slice seeder, and then water

As the old lawn dies, the new one with start to grow in.

GroundKprs
08-23-2004, 03:09 AM
Forget trying to fix it now. GroundClear is a sterilant - label says it prevents weeds for up to a year.

Perhaps Ortho can give you an idea on what to use to neutralize it, so you can get lawn back before a year from now. Or you can just dig out and replace all soil in treated areas.

rmdane2000
08-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Just got off the phone with Ortho...they said not to water it, that it will work the ground clear into the soil and activate it more quickly. They said to apply 1lbs of activated charcoil per 100 SF (I think somebody already suggested this). Basically, your already in trouble. I only spot treated stuff so I guess I'll just dig them up and either sod or seed the areas...At least the weeds will be gone!

Thanks for the help

NastyStang113
03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
I know this is a old thread but found it completely relevant to this issue.

Yard was completely dead, full of weeds, no existing St. Augustine - Floratam. We tilled it, raked it, etc to get it ready for sod. One of the guys grabbed a sprayer of Ortho Ground Clear, thinking it was Round Up. Only used it as a spot treatment except one spot that is no more than 20 sq ft. :hammerhead:

It's raining here for the next week which I know doesn't help me one bit. The plan was to lay sod this coming weekend. Now what should I do?? Am I going to be okay in the spot treatments? Should I lay charcoal on the 20 sq ft area, remove and replace the soil? Or just go ahead and lay sod? The area was not drenched with it, just a quick spray.

Any suggestions and opinions are completely welcomed and appreciated.. :drinkup:

tlg
03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
The ground clear is a soil sterilant. Meaning nothing will grow there unless you remove the soil and replace it with new soil. If you lay down new sod over the bad soil it's gonna die. These type of products can have up to a one year residual.

RigglePLC
03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Maybe the guy didn't mix it strong enough--or put it down heavy enough. I would go with the charcoal and lay the sod. Nothing to lose. You will probably have to remove a few inches of soil and replace it, and resod. I should point out that you can possibly smell the stuff. (To detect it.) You can perhaps test soil samples to see how bad it is by planting annual rye in a flower pot sample of the suspect soil. You can also bare root transplant say a tomato plant that you bought at a store. If soil is toxic, effects would probably appear within 24 hours. Compare with clean soil of course.

Keep a close eye on the weeds. Are they dying fast? Is the St Auggie dying fast? If not, there is hope...

NastyStang113
03-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Where can I pick up the activated charcoal?

The ground clear is a soil sterilant. Meaning nothing will grow there unless you remove the soil and replace it with new soil. If you lay down new sod over the bad soil it's gonna die. These type of products can have up to a one year residual.

Exactly how deep would I have to go to get rid of the bad soil? Obviously answering that is going to be hard since you don't have an exact idea of how much was used but it wasn't much. A second spray on each weed, nothing more than that. Other than the 20 sq ft area which was just coated and the ground probably only received a mist.

Keep a close eye on the weeds. Are they dying fast? Is the St Auggie dying fast? If not, there is hope...

Nope, they look no different than yesterday. It was mixed according to the directions but was used sparingly. There wasn't much missing from the tank. There is no St. Augustine now, it's just bare soil.

NastyStang113
04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Well I don't know what happened. I don't know if the rain saved me or what but there was no change in the weeds. The sod was laid and so far has been taking very nicely.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/NastyStang113/House/Grass/Frontcopy.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp322/NastyStang113/House/Grass/RearCopy.jpg

Popeye77
04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Hurricane really messed up those pine trees WOW

LawnoftheMonth
04-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Hurricane really messed up those pine trees WOW

That's what I noticed first!

NastyStang113
04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Sand Pines. I despise them. Worst root system around and you end up with that. I want to just go back there myself to chop them down. Now to figure out the landscaping...