PDA

View Full Version : did i make the wrong purchase ?

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 01:43 PM
i just bought a exmark viking last week.
i finely went out and used it on all 8 of my account's. i now have 5 accounts left and probably one more going after i put down grass seed tomorrow. this thing scalped the hell out of EVERY yard !!! i have the deck hight set at 3 inches and even the smallest hill it scalps and cut's uneven. i went and used my 21, mower to fix all the yards to make them look some what respectable. even on on some parts of the yard that are completely flat the cut looks like s*** !!!! i can't believe i spent 5 K on a worthless mower that i can not even use.

when my dealer said i would be fine on mostly flat lawns, i had no idea he meant a 2 inch bump would be completely taken out by the blades.

I'm hoping they will fix this problem but I'm worried i just wasted 5K and I'm stuck with this POS !!!

sorry just needed to vent
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

grrr should have put this in the exmark forum. sorry.:o

MTR
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
At 3"? what is your deck size? a 48" will scalp with fixed deck only 3" height, even a 36" will in some degree.
You spent 5k on a fixed deck mower? I am not sure about this.

Why don't you get a floating deck like TTHP? For 5k you can have a 48" TTHP with sulky. The 6 anti-scalp rollers around the deck is priceless and you can adjust both deck height and roller height accordingly to prevent severe scalping.
I hope it is not too late to swap to TTHP, could you talk to dealer about this?

best wishes.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 02:04 PM
$4700 and some change with tax + catcher and sulky put it over 5 K.
my dealer said i would be fine using a 36 fixed deck. i decided to save about $500 and take his word for it .
he was as wrong as can be ! i brought it back to have him raise the deck. it doesn't scalp as badly but still scalps in 3 spots on my lawn. the cut is terrible now that we raised the deck also.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-22-2004, 02:16 PM
I kinda know the feeling, I have a scag fixed deck with less than 50 hours on it sitting in the garage. I was gonna trade it in but they only offered me 1/3 of the price of it with 50 hours, before i would give it away I have it sitting collecting dust

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 02:48 PM
sorry to hear about your mower grass_cuttin_fool. i can't believe fixed decks are that bad, i guess it's all fixed decks are like this ?
i wish i could just let this one sit on my garage and collect dust but it was going to be my main lawn mower. not very many of the LCO's around my area cut gated yards.
it was a niche market i was hoping to get my foot into. with this mower , these people would be better off letting their grass grow to 8 feet tall. it would look better then if i went over it.

:( :(:angry:

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 03:00 PM
MTR I'm going to try and get my dealer to fix the problem and i hope switch to a tthp. I'm scared to buy another exmark after this now, but I'm guessing this mower is just a lemon and something is wrong with it...my dealer knows i am new and that is the part that is worrying me about them helping out. i do have 2 back up plans. i bought it with a credit card so i have there backing and a friend of the family runs a fairly large landscaping company< 25 - 30 trucks / crews > that buys from this dealer. i can't say he will stop buying from them or anything but I'm sure if he went in there with me i might have a little more say in what happens with this mower.

lol i should have asked this guy more about what mower to buy but I'm hard headed and have to do things my own way. + i didn't want to sound stupid asking him all this stuff. :(

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 03:16 PM
fixed decks are not that bad really. I have no problem with fixed decks.

imograss
08-22-2004, 03:18 PM
When I first started 8 yrs. ago, I started with 3 Deere fixed deck belt driven w/b's and rarely had any scalping issues. It takes awhile to get the feel of where the mower should and should not go (mowing ditches ect.). I do prefer the Hydro Floating decks, but we made it fine back in the day.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 03:35 PM
oh no this sounds like I'm whining ???? /sigh

something is wrong with this mower . i might be able to get pics of this .... before the deck was raised, a small incline that rises 6 inches over 3 feet in length. all grass is completely removed from the top of this hill with blade marks in the mud.
since the deck was raised it is no longer scalping in this spot . i have other areas of my lawn that are like this and just about every one of my accounts do also.
since the deck was raised it's not as bad, but i have areas that get cut at about 1 inch while the rest of the lawn is at 3.
also since the deck was raised to try and fix this problem the cut looks horrible !

edit ...
i still have a lot of spots that scalp down to the mud.

Forest
08-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Too bad you're having problems with the Viking. Perhaps you could demo the TTHP before puchasing something else. That is, if he'll extend you credit for the Viking. Myself, I'm an Exmark fan and haven't had any problems with them, but whose to say. Knock on wood! Good luck Doc. -Forest

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 04:04 PM
i have only heard good things about exmark. it's the main reason i went with them. the viking i could not demo , it was the only one he had in stock at the time.
i did demo a tthp for a few hours. my dealer claimed there would be no difference on small hills.
grrr this is driving me nuts right now. :(

chefdrp
08-22-2004, 04:04 PM
yes try and demo some other mowers before you actualy PAY for them.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 04:05 PM
i demoed a lot of mowers. only the viking i couldnt demo and I'm kicking myself for it ! :(

Envy Lawn Service
08-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Check the purchase laws in your state. They may have no choice but to accept your return for a full refund. Then you slap another $500 down with it and you have yourself a TTHP.

65hoss
08-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Something somewhere isn't right. Its in the setup or something. I would highly suggest you call eXmark customer service on monday morning and talk with them.

ProStreetCamaro
08-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah something isnt right with that mower. All of our W/B's had and have fixed decks. 36" bobcat, 36" scag, 52" bunton, 50" Gravely and not a single problem with any of the mowers scalping. You also have to get a feel for fixed deck mowers. When you go over bumps or are cresting a hill you have to slightly push down on the handles to raise the front of the deck so it doesnt scalp. Jesus for only $3,700 you could have gotten a Gravely 34Z and not had to stand behind on a velky. Heck for $4,500 you could have gotten a 44Z. Man you got ripped a new one!

Fareway Lawncare
08-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Check your axle setting-You Want Position D...check your Blade Spacers-You want 3 Above Blade....Check Your Caster Spacers-You Want 4-1/2" Below Casters....

There's No Way it's Scalping Like That @ 3"....

GeeVee
08-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Let me relay a couple of things.

I don't know what would make a person think that a sticker applied to the metal truly means you will get that height of cut. Consider the height adjustment sticker (or stamped increments) a mere suggestion.

Do you have your Gator blades on upside down?

Realistically, I think you have your blades spaced too close to the ground.

geogunn
08-22-2004, 07:45 PM
something seems wrong in the setup........or the operation of the mower.

I have used a fixed LESCO for years and when I scalp and cry foul..............I have to raise my hand and claim it.

scalping in my case is operator error. sounds like you need to be aware it could be in yours also.

good luck.

GEO

Patrick.B
08-22-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a pm144z Gravely and the first week i cut with it ...I wasn't to happy cause it wouldn't cut smooth ..i wash my mower the first weekend i bought it and started to look at the deck ...rollers on the deck didn't look right so i look up on the manal and it said for lower cut pick the rollers up ...its made a big derffernt i was like WOW so if you guys mower not cutting right Look at your rollers .,..Dealer won't tell you that cause if you bring it back they will charge you for them to pick the rollers up LOL pretty sad huh ...Thanks (( Bayou Lawn Care))

Fareway Lawncare
08-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by GeeVee

I don't know what would make a person think that a sticker applied to the metal truly means you will get that height of cut. Consider the height adjustment sticker (or stamped increments) a mere suggestion.

You May also Want to Consider that there is no Stickered or Stamped increments on a Viking.....

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Fareway Lawncare
Check your axle setting-You Want Position D...check your Blade Spacers-You want 3 Above Blade....Check Your Caster Spacers-You Want 4-1/2" Below Casters....
i have that exact set up except 3 - 1/2 spacers below on the casters. i had 3 before and i just tried 3 and 1/2 . getting better but still coming very close to the ground on small hills. also the cut is completely different and not nearly as good as when the deck was in position A < this was set by the dealer > i was told this would be a 3" cut .
i also noticed just before i loaded it on my truck tonight. there is a hole drilled in the top right of the deck. there are also 3 small creases leading up to this hole. they are hard to see under the paint but if you run your hand over them you can feel them.
I'm not sure if it is operator error, it very well could be ! but something seems very wrong with this machine.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 08:23 PM
ProStreetCamaro
Man you got ripped a new one!

lol i think you are right :(

DLCS
08-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by GeeVee

Realistically, I think you have your blades spaced too close to the ground.

I was thinking the same thing.;)

Fareway Lawncare
08-22-2004, 08:28 PM
You can't get a 3" cut in aXle position A....

This is Not a 21" Mower....You have to Pop the Deck Occasionally to Avoid Scalping.....

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 08:29 PM
lol if my blades are upside down ... thats my dealers fault. i didn't put um on.

and no they are not upside down. if they are the dealer i got this from needs some new mechanics , they have had this mower on a lift 2 times already.

Doc_77
08-22-2004, 08:38 PM
You can't get a 3" cut in aXle position A....
this is what i told the dealer when i brought it back after looking at the manual. i didn't remember exactly how it should be when i told him about this , then again he was claiming the deck should be lower in the back.

Andyinchville2
08-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems with the fixesd deck....I ran Vikings before I switched to tthp's ....There are a few things you must do in order to minimize scalping with a fixed deck . First and foremost, you must be very aware of the terrain....fixed decks will scalp if you are niot very careful (when we had them we raised them up higher than 3 " (Have to adjust using either one or more of the following methods....front wheel caster spacers, blade spacers and last but ont least and probably the most difficult splitting the deck off the engine /drive assy and rebolting for more clearance......Raising the height of cut will help alot....Also learning to manually "float" a deck helps too....As in your example when you are about to crest a hill you have to pop a small whellie and keep the deck up and gradually let it down so as not to scalop the crest of the hill.....Also, sometimes, depending on the terrain, it will not be easy or possible to make straight lines with the unit....you'll have to follow the conmtioura of the land but you can go straight over alot of stuff but then again tyou will have to manually "float" the deck by holding a wheelie.....yes manually floating the deck can be tiring after awhile....My recomendation is like several others, see if yoiu can trade it in without too much loss, or else you could tough it out and bulid alot of muscles.....By tghe way, when we switched to ttph...it was like night and day....soooooo much better and very little scalping (blades will last way longer between sharpenings another oplus),Also, since you'll be easily be able to change mowing heights easilt withe the tthp you'll be better abl;e to do ovewr grown yards if needed since you can easily raise the cut height and make it alot easier on the mower. Well good luck to you and to put your ming at easy...Exmarks are really good machines.....we run nothing but exmark walkbehinds (We run nothing but Ferris zero turns since I think they are beter than the Exmarks, but for walkbehinds Exmark is the way to go in my opinion.

Andrew

walk behind
08-22-2004, 10:21 PM
I would check and see if you could trade it back to him for a floating deck model, it is worth it. Exmarks cut very well. I have a 52" 17hp KAW floating deck, tthp, and a very bumpy and hilly yard (2.5 acres) and it has never scalped any part of it and it is set at 3" height.

jajwrigh
08-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Should have got a floating deck...

statman
08-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Doc, why don't you put a post on the Exmark site of this website? Their guy (Terry) is excellent about getting to the bottom of problems.

geogunn
08-22-2004, 11:36 PM
I havent read every reply word for word because it is late, I am tired and wouldn't matter to me anyway.

BUT LET ME SAY... if the unit is scalping under the center of the deck...ie: between the casters...then there is a major problemo somewhere.

when I spoke Earlier of scalping with my LESCO, I should have indicated that I have only scalped on the extreme outside edges of the unit.

of course, the rear wheels could drop in a hole and cause a scalp from the rear of the deck but that again is operator error.

I say there is something wrong with the setup on that machine that is exacerbated by the newness of the operator which is causing the problemos.

GEO

Precision
08-22-2004, 11:46 PM
I have a fixed deck and don't have problems that aren't user induced. I usually cut at 4 or 4.5 inches.

Check tire pressure, check deck angle. More importanly get your mower all set up put it on a flat piece of concrete. then cut a 4 in piece of wood to use as a guage. manually move the blade to the wood and mark it with the edge of the blade.

take the wood out and measure to the line. this is your cut height within 1/8 to 1/4 inch.

HOOLIE
08-22-2004, 11:50 PM
I would try raising the cutting height in quarter inch increments to see how that affects the cut. I've used fixed deck machines for so long now that its second nature to me to push down the handles to avoid scalping. But any scalping problem should really only occur when theres a sharp change in terrain.

If your dealer has an area where you can mow, have them "demo" your machine on their grass, sometimes you gotta run something to get a good feel for the problem.

Gilla Gorilla
08-23-2004, 12:03 AM
I dont have any suggestions for the scalping but as far as the poor cut at 3.5 inches, I would say to get a set of the Exmark Excalliber highlift blades. When I go my 02 36" Metro HP at the beginning of the season it did not have a good cut at 3.5 inches compaired to my 36" metro at 3 inches. I went to the dealer and they sold me a set of the excalliber blades and it has a awsome cut at 3.5 inches now.

Just a thought especially if you have a set of low lift blades that 1/2 inch higher could be loosing the suction of the grass.

Good luck and try to get the TTHP or TT

Doc_77
08-23-2004, 01:32 AM
this has been driving me absolutely nuts all day ... every one that says I'm scalping because I'm new, you are probably right.
i am new and a big hydro 36 is a hell of alot different then a 21'' self propelled mower. i was not pushing down to float the deck over bumps / hills so I'm sure that is part of the problem. maybe a big part.
still something seems wrong , i know every thing on this mower is set at 3 inches and I'm still digging into the mud. not just the grass but the mud below it ! I'm not even going to get into how s***ty and uneven the flat areas look.
if it is operator error i am absolutely screwed , there is no possible way to float the deck in reverse and the tight areas i bought this mower for. :angry:
this is one of the things i specifically asked my dealer about.

one last thing. even if it is me, something still does not feel right about this machine. i demoed a wright stander on my lawn and did not have any of these problems. but it did have anti scalp rollers.

Itsgottobegreen
08-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by tiedeman
fixed decks are not that bad really. I have no problem with fixed decks.

Same here. I actually prefer fixed decks. (all but one machine are fixed) I don't get "I want my lawn cut lower and every two weeks." Which they get "sorry the machine has a fixed height, I can't change it with out taking the machine apart. I cut at 3.5" and every 7 days."

Floating decks have a heck of lot more parts and added weight. Fixed decks have less parts. So its has less things you can break or go wrong. (same goes for electric start, I have one machine that is electric start and I have more problems with the battery being dead or electric clutches not engaging for that matter) Pull start and manual clutches work every time. I am old school (kind of funny since I am only 19), so fancy options just seem to be a waste to me. If it works, don't fix it.

One other thing coming from a guy who own a 32" eXmark fixed deck and fixed deck 52" Wright standers. The standers have a much shorter wheel base than a fix deck eXmark. Which causes the standers not to scalp. Also those little two front rolls don't do much. I know some will get pissed at me saying this. But trade the viking in for the standers. You will be much happier in the end.

l1011100
08-23-2004, 03:16 AM
I have a 48 viking and the only time I have scalped besides the side of a hill is when I got in a hurry changing blades and didnt have the same amount of spacers on each blade. As far as the side or hills goes I think it will always cut a little deeper on the downside of the hill, I dont think you can help it.

op4_camper
08-23-2004, 06:36 AM
It does't matter if its the mower or if its you, Theres a problem.

How long have you had the mower?
If its less then a wk with less then say 15hours on it I don't see why they would't give you 100 credit on it against a floating one.

They might want to try and work with you and setting up the fixed deck mower. Which is fine but make sure they know if your not happy you want to trade up. Just don't put to many hours on it in ether case.

geogunn
08-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Doc_77
... every one that says I'm scalping because I'm new, you are probably right.
i am new and a big hydro 36 is a hell of alot different then a 21'' self propelled mower. i was not pushing down to float the deck over bumps / hills so I'm sure that is part of the problem. maybe a big part.
still something seems wrong , i know every thing on this mower is set at 3 inches and I'm still digging into the mud. not just the grass but the mud below it ! I'm not even going to get into how s***ty and uneven the flat areas look.

DOC--with a 36 inch fixed unit it is virtually impossible to scalp anything. period. ????????????

GEO :confused:

SpudsM15
08-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Doc with the way your describing it, the front of the deck would have to be digging into the ground on level terrain???
When you have this machine on level concrete how much clearence do you have at the front of the deck and the rear of the cutting deck????
I have a 32" viking I scalped the first day i had the machine then got the hang of it, my cousin who I thaught to use it this year scalped like a mofo for a week or so then he finnially got the hang of it.
From the way it sounds there is something wrong with the setup of the machine but i feel that your inexperiance is only amplifing the problem.

Oh and you can float the deck in reverse and turning just get yourself a bullrider sulky, but then you'll have a traction problem untill u get the hang of that.

Try this, get somebody that knows how to operate the machine to use it on your lawn, see if they are messing up as much as u, then thats a sure way of seeing if the mower is a lemon, Who knows maybe you deck has a serious bend in it!

65hoss
08-23-2004, 10:08 AM
You keep saying the blades are not upside down because its been to the dealer twice. SO? Have you looked?

Is there a big vibration when the blades are engaged? Maybe a badly bent blade.

Put the mower on level ground, turn both blades to the cutting edge in the front middle ( I I ) and see how high they are from the ground.

John Gamba
08-23-2004, 10:25 AM
After you checked everything. Try and raise the mower UP a little and see if it gets better or stays the same.
John

dishboy
08-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I cut at 2.75 inches and yes you can scalp very easy with a fixed deck around irregularities. You compensate by riding the handlebars which will be difficult with ECS.

36 in a TTHP with a striping roller will lift that deck up over almost everything and also maintain the right deck pitch at ALL cutting heights. If it were me I would be begging your dealer for a swap before you get any time that machine. I used fixed decks for 23 years before going to the floater and I would NEVER buy another fixed deck machine as cut quality is the number one consideration and I always cut at least two different heights every week.

Doc_77
08-23-2004, 06:39 PM
i went to the dealer this morning , he said the same thing as every one else, i need to learn how to use the damn thing. that was until he tried it for himself. he will be looking it over tomorrow. he said something has to be wrong with the adjustments. even when he was floating the deck he scalped the grass in front of his store. the scalping seems to mainly be on the right middle of the deck.
if he can't find any thing wrong , he started saying some thing about raising the engine from the frame ???
if thats the case he can keep the damn thing.

oh BTW floating the deck helped a lot ! scalping wasn't as bad over steeper hills then i used it on.
but even my dealer said something is wrong.

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
didnt read all the posts,

but your blades may not be high enough in the deck... Your blades may be level with the deck and could be causing this

Mine is fine

Trevor

dvmcmrhp52
08-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by geogunn
I havent read every reply word for word because it is late, I am tired and wouldn't matter to me anyway.

BUT LET ME SAY... if the unit is scalping under the center of the deck...ie: between the casters...then there is a major problemo somewhere.

when I spoke Earlier of scalping with my LESCO, I should have indicated that I have only scalped on the extreme outside edges of the unit.

of course, the rear wheels could drop in a hole and cause a scalp from the rear of the deck but that again is operator error.

I say there is something wrong with the setup on that machine that is exacerbated by the newness of the operator which is causing the problemos.

GEO

I have to agree.
We have a 36 fixed deck,we have no scalping issues.

HOOLIE
08-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Doc_77
i went to the dealer this morning , he said the same thing as every one else, i need to learn how to use the damn thing. that was until he tried it for himself. he will be looking it over tomorrow. he said something has to be wrong with the adjustments. even when he was floating the deck he scalped the grass in front of his store. the scalping seems to mainly be on the right middle of the deck.
if he can't find any thing wrong , he started saying some thing about raising the engine from the frame ???
if thats the case he can keep the damn thing.

oh BTW floating the deck helped a lot ! scalping wasn't as bad over steeper hills then i used it on.
but even my dealer said something is wrong.

Don't let the dealer jerk you around on this one. If there's a major problem with the machine, DEMAND a new one. You've already wasted a lot of your time going back and forth to the dealer. They should see the wisdom of providing you with great customer service.

scottishmaximus
08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I can't seem to get over the price. Even with the accessories it shouldn't have been that much. I paid 4800 for a 48" tthp with tax. With the problems you have had I'd take it back and get another mower a lot cheaper.

mkwl
08-23-2004, 09:46 PM
My Bob-Cat 48" WB with a fixed deck set at 2.5" never scalps, not even on a really bumpy lawn. It leaves a beautiful cut and stripes fantastically. I love my Bob-Cat!!!!!!!! If you can, trade in your pos exmark and get a Bob-Cat!!!!

Fareway Lawncare
08-23-2004, 10:05 PM
There isn't much Difference in Scaling w/a 36" Viking than w/a 36" TTHP...Don't Forget the 36" Tracer only Has 1 Gage Wheel in the Rear...

dishboy
08-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
There isn't much Difference in Scaling w/a 36" Viking than w/a 36" TTHP...Don't Forget the 36" Tracer only Has 1 Gage Wheel in the Rear...

But if you add a stripeing roller you get great scalp protection.

If your machine is scalping center right I would tip that machine up and measure the distance of the blade tip to the top of the deck all the way around the circle, if the numbers are not all the same junk that deck.

I have a 96 Viking that came srewed up from day one and I was to busy to deal with it while on warrenty, deal with this issue NOW the information is out there to diagnose your problem but I doubt any dealer will take the time to find a problem if you don't show it to them. Tom

65hoss
08-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by mkwl
My Bob-Cat 48" WB with a fixed deck set at 2.5" never scalps, not even on a really bumpy lawn. It leaves a beautiful cut and stripes fantastically. I love my Bob-Cat!!!!!!!! If you can, trade in your pos exmark and get a Bob-Cat!!!!

Even though you still have no clue what you are talking about, at least this time the post was more than "bobcats are far superior".

dvmcmrhp52
08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Even though you still have no clue what you are talking about, at least this time the post was more than "bobcats are far superior".

Exactly..................

John Gamba
08-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Whats a Bob-Cat??? :D

PMLAWN
08-25-2004, 08:06 AM
Put your mower on flat concrete and take a few pictures. Let us see the unit. Something is very wrong as it should not be that bad. My proline 36" does not scalp that bad and they have the same deck. As said before--my guess would be the blades are too low in the deck. Take close ups of your spacer set-up. maybe you have them set up up-side-down. That unit should be a good unit for you so keep looking for the problem. Good luck!

Doc_77
08-25-2004, 11:04 AM
it's at the dealer now so i can't get any pics. an exmark rep is coming to look at it today from what i understand. we tried a new set up and the scalping is not nearly as bad. even when cutting slightly under 3". still no one can find any thing wrong with the mower yet. i have been over it , the dealer and 3 of his mechanics have been over it at different times.
I'm starting to think maybe I'm wrong and it's a combination of 3 things...
lack of experience and not floating the deck over hills, wrong set up and the wrong piece of equipment for what i am using it for. even the salesmen who sold this to me got this machine to scalp on smaller hills then i use it on. so i don't know. it also seems to scalp on the back right side so even floating the deck wont help in alot of situations.
i do have to say one thing that is making feel like such an @** for starting this thread.
my dealer is working his @** off to fix this problem for a small first year one man operation. even more surprising ... an exmark rep is working hard to get this fixed as well. thats something i never expected to happen !
the exmark rep seems to be stepping up to the plate to help with this problem.

premiereman
08-25-2004, 01:58 PM
sorry to hear that you have a mower thats not peforming like you were hoping it would. sounds to me like the yard was just used to being mowed with a different mower. give it some time to adjust to the width as well as the height of the new mower. good luck man!

fubunics
08-25-2004, 03:09 PM
sounds like the deck is bent, and or the spindle(s) are not perpendicular to the ground. I've used 36" fixed deck mowers over the last few years almost exclusively (was encores, now my lesco 36), and they really don't scalp that easily. And yes, you got ripped off. Almost 5k for ANY 36" wb is too much to be paying.

PMLAWN
08-26-2004, 02:40 AM
Good luck with it and glad to hear that Exmark is helping.

If all else fails, just use it for a year or so and you should have the yards leveled out. J/K

mkwl
08-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Whats a Bob-Cat??? :D

The best commercial mower!!!!!

John Gamba
08-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by mkwl
The best commercial mower!!!!!

OH:D

op4_camper
09-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Come on Doc you have to let us know what ended up happing.

coastallandscapesolutions
09-04-2004, 10:06 AM
We have several fixed decks and we had a similar issue with one of them whe we first purchase it. It turned out the dealer did not really set the deck heights correctly and two, there were washers behind one blade and not the other two. Finely, one blade was bent 1/2 inch. Put it all together and we got the problem that you are having. Now that it is fixed it works great.

Doc_77
09-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Come on Doc you have to let us know what ended up happing

well this is still a big mess, the exmark rep the dealer said he was getting to look at the machine ... turned out to be the 3 foot tall bald headed owner of the dealer. i didn't realize it at first but he was using a 2 way radio to talk to the so called exmark rep.
the last time i brought the lawn mower in, the dealer did NOTHING to try and fix it. they just let it sit out in the rain with the junked parts mowers for a week.
all i can say right now < the dealer reads this site > is i am so glad i payed with a credit card ! :) my cousin/lawyer is also getting ready to bring legal actions against the dealer for a few things as well . buyer protection laws are nice :)
there is more to this story but i can't say to much until it's done and over . but it basically boils down to i won't have to pay and if the dealer wants to to keep this going , he will end up losing a lot more then he would for just taking his losses.
i was willing at first to lose a few $$$ and trade the lawn mower in or if it could just be replaced for the same model. that all went out the window when the owner of the dealer started yelling and hung up the phone on me when i asked what could we do to fix this problem.

John Gamba
09-13-2004, 07:32 AM
buyer protection laws are nice :)
They are.
John

ironhead
09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Why haven't you taken this to the Exmark forum yet? It makes me kinda suspicious if you've been having this much trouble and haven't let them know about it. I've been reading this site on a daily basis for about 2 1/2 years and seen them directly get involved with alot of situations. Just ask Mr. Gamba, he might not be satisfied with his situation but he can't say they haven't given his problem alot of attention.

Doc_77
09-13-2004, 01:54 PM
i didn't try to hard to get in touch with exmark at first. i was under th impression that the place i bought it from had a exmark rep coming out to look at the machine.
at the time i didn't see the need to contact them on my own.< i did try calling once but got no response back > i honestly thought this problem was going to get taken care of by the dealer. after i found out they did nothing with the machine other then leaving outside for a week then calling me back and telling me to pick it up, the first people i called was my credit card then my cousin < a lawyer > . basically i was told to leave things alone. if the credit card CO can't take care of it my cousin will. it's most likely done and over with now but until the finale verdict is in i can't say exactly what is happening.
i would like to add ... i have nothing against Exmark. i don't think i will buy another one but i do not believe all of there mowers are like this. i got a defective unit... it happens , it's no big deal .

Turf Dancer
09-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Call Terry at Exmark !
He can and will do something! Terry is Awsome ! If Terry is tied up then someone else will do something to help fix this mess! I think you would be better off trying to fix this through Exmark then going the Legal route, it could take a while. I would call Exmark and ask for Terry, then explain the situation and see if they can arrange for you to trade it back in on a TTHP! I have had a couple issues and I have called Terry and the problems have been solved !

Doc_77
09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
i don't think it's going to go any farther then it already has. my credit card company is confident they can take care of it. i wan't to say why but i can not yet .
once i can say why , i will . i think it will be helpful to alot of people that have been in my situation. my cousin is a lawyer so i talked to him about it. he basically said if things get dragged out he will step in and put a VERY quick end to this situation .
i don't want to go the legal rout and exmark will be contacted before i would do that also. I'm not the type of person to sue people just because i can, I'm also not the type to take getting riped off lightly. i did put my orignal post in the Exmark forums and was basically told by i believe terry ??? that it was operator error.
i believed this to be true at first also. this was untill the dealer tried the machine and had the same problems as i did.

Turf Dancer
09-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah I understood that you talked to them when you first had the problem based on the Exmark forum where youposted the question ! But if there is still a problem you should call terry and see where he can get you! He could help! Based on the origional post I would have guessed the same thing as everyone else! But there still appears to be a problem and I think it should go to the Manufacturer first before going the other routes. I think you should follow the chain up !

Dealer, then Manufacturer, then Creditors in some cases, then Legal Routes!