PDA

View Full Version : Best fertilizing program you have used?

Husky
08-22-2004, 05:32 PM
What is the best fertilizer program you have found with your customers and how do you charge for it???

Do you do pellet and liquid apps,,or just pellets,,,,curious ,,I have not had huge success with my pellets...

and how many steps...??? lime??

ProStreetCamaro
08-22-2004, 05:53 PM
To be honest we have found that 3 app's of slow release 10-10-10 granular works very well here in Maryland. In early winter we put down a mild amount of urea which really makes the lawns jump come spring time. For the weed's we have found speed zone works fairly well. If the lawn has never had a lime app then it would be a good idea to apply a very heavy app of pelleted lime.

Cutters Lawn Care
08-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Do a soil test before putting any lime out.

Who's on first
08-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Definitely do a soil test before liming. You can cause yourself some problems if you don't.

We use an organic product blended with synthetics for our applications. We get a steady release of nutrients that way. Try to get a ratio of 4-1-3 over the year.

You'll get a bigger bang for the buck with a good fall application as opposed to an early spring application. The only concern here is that you better be certain you will have that account next year.

nfisher330
08-22-2004, 07:22 PM
What exactly does lime do? I have my own personal lawn that is in shambles... Want to try to get it going and looking top notch. Seems that if I am taking care of other people's lawns, that mine should look good too...

Who's on first
08-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Lime corrects the soil's pH. A soil test will tell you if you need to correct the pH. Also observe the calcium/magnesium ratio to identify the type of lime to use.

To go much further than that would take a few hours to understand pH and proper liming.

Do an internet search, check a land grant university website, or contact your local extension office for more info.

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 08:13 PM
what has worked for me is a 5 step granular application method

Grassmechanic
08-22-2004, 08:30 PM
A combination of both granular and liquid. The best of both worlds.

Husky
08-23-2004, 03:33 PM
What kind of charge are you giving your customers when on a 1/4 acre lot? residential community for these applications guys? i think im usually 50$ per application 5 step program,,so 250$ annual per customer...what about you all?

Grassmechanic
08-23-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm $48/app, but raising it for next year.