PDA

View Full Version : A sad day for me....

CRUZMISL
08-22-2004, 07:22 PM
I have an ash in my yard that is about 5 years old. The tree was given to me by my inlaws and I found an ash borer in the bark today:( Earlier in the year I used the Bayer (Tree/Shrub) insecticidal soak but I guess it didn't help or I was too late. It's weird too, some of the bark looks almost blistered. Anything I can do to save the tree or chalk it up as a loss and plant a different species?
Thanks,
Joe

Grassmechanic
08-22-2004, 08:26 PM
If it has Emerald Ash Borer, cut it down and burn it. Insecticidal soap is worthless to this pest. Merit, either injected into the cambium layer or soil injection, is the only known cure for this pest. Also, you should contact your local Dept of Agriculture to advise them that you have this pest.

CRUZMISL
08-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Grassmechanic, it is the emerald ash borer. Ugly bastard looks like a green earwig. The BAyer insecticidal soak isn't a soap though, see here
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/garden/products/details.cfm?id=12

I thought it killed the emerald ash borer. I'm afraid if I call my local extension they'll make me chop it down. Only slight visible damage at this point., worth trying some Merit?

JOE

CRUZMISL
08-22-2004, 10:10 PM
(it's actually the same active ingredient as merit but a lower percentage. I don't know how much merit has to be diluted for a soak so I'm not sure we're comparing like with like.)

Tscape
08-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Try a MAuget injection with Bidrin at this point. Then Mauget Imidacloparid after that, in spring.

You have seen Dr. Roberts' website on the pest, right?

D Felix
08-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Joe-
If you've found ONE, there's surely more. They start at the top, so unfortunately, unless you were climbing the tree at the time, the tree is doomed.

Call the local authorities, and notify them. I can understand the loss you will feel, but removal is the only way to kill the things at this point. It won't matter if you've treated it or not, once the authorities find it (and they will), it'll be gone...

And AFAIK, nothing has been proven to kill EAB thus far. I believe that Merit was showing some hope, but I haven't heard any more on it.

FWIW, check the Residential Forum over on http://www.arboristsite.com and find the "EAB news and info" thread that I started. There's a LOT of info in that one thread....

HTH.

Sorry to hear that you've got it. We aren't dealing with it yet here, but it may just be a matter of time....

Dan

Grassmechanic
08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Cruzmisl - If you have identified the adult borer, the damage has already been done. They kill the tree during the larval stage. I should clarify things a bit. If you already have the borer, Merit will not work as a "cure". As a preventative, Merit works quite well. Your tree needed to be treated BEFORE the borer layed it's eggs, probably the previous or even 2 season ago. There is nothing that will save your tree at this point. You must contact the proper authorities so that they can inspect neighboring ash trees to help prevent the spread of this pest.