PDA

View Full Version : Florida house with 4 feet tall grass?

contourbs
08-22-2004, 06:38 PM
i have a rental property that the grass is 4 feet tall with liitle trees now growing in the yard. what do i use to cut this yard. it already has a code violation on the house

walker-talker
08-22-2004, 07:45 PM
I did one like this the other day for a real estate mang firm that I do a lot of work for. I discharged and went over the property many time. I then tried to collect, but kept clogging the discharge chute. I just mulched the best I could and billed him my time. I could of then raked it to make it look a little better, but he wants to spend the least amout possible since it is just a rental.

contourbs
08-22-2004, 08:15 PM
but what about the weeds that are thick like 1 inch in diameter. i dont want to ruin the ztr on a rental property.also whats the going rate. the property is in florida, 1/4 acre with 4 feet of grass. id say it will take 2 hours to do. what would you charge?

dljon
08-22-2004, 08:38 PM
What is the hourly rate you must have to make a profit? Travel time included? Charge by the hour. If after doing, you didn't make rate/charge more next time.

IMPACT
08-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Wait for a hurricane to take care of it for you.Just kidding..:D
go to your local rental store and rent a Billy Goat Outback brush cutter. It will cut it and lay it over and not make a big mess afterwards, then clean it up , and then cut it with the Z after you check for obstacles, etc..Can't say about pricing differences from WV to Florida, but I wouldn't touch it for less than 300.00+

KDJ
08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
If in fact.... it is four feet high, I would pass on it. There is no way he will pay what it is worth.

contourbs
08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
the hurricane didnt touch it, its in cape coral and looks just like the woods next door. anyone now the price on renting

contourbs
08-22-2004, 08:54 PM
its already in code vialation, so if its not cut the city will charge 400 dollars to do so.

KDJ
08-22-2004, 09:12 PM
[Originally posted by contourbs
its already in code vialation, so if its not cut the city will charge 400 dollars to do so.

Then let him save 50.00 and pay you 350.00 or just walk.

contourbs
08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
might have to just tell them that. i mean it looks bad.

Precision
08-22-2004, 10:26 PM
code violation work is an easy sell. Find out what code charges then show him on their letterhead. (have them fax it to you). Give him a $25-50 discount on that. And tell him about the great quality job they do, yeah just like the power company cutting tree limbs.

If code is less than $250 just tellhim to let them do it.

I would get the brush cutter for your line trimmer and quick cut it down with that. Just like weedeating but way faster. Then mow over it twice at the highest setting with 50% overlap per pass..

DennisF
08-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Precision has it right. Find out what the city/county is going to charge him to clean up the property. Tell him you'll do it for $25 less than that.

As far as cleaning it up...first weed whack everything that you can then try to pull all the big weeds ( they do get big down here in Florida) or use a brush cutter if you have one. You'll probably have to cut it 3 or 4 times to mulch up all the cuttings. Make sure that you get a signed work order from the owner before you start. Sometimes people will try to stiff you on these kinds of jobs. If you have a piece of paper in your hand stating the price you'll have something to fall back on if there are any "mis-understandings". Good luck.

Olylawnboy
08-23-2004, 11:11 PM
So what's the end result to be?

contourbs
08-23-2004, 11:25 PM
wanting on responce from manager, quoted them 250 dollars. i really dont want the job. but i guess for 250 dollars ill take it

Wreak
08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Watch out for snakes and cover yourself with long sleeves and pants along with some deep woods off. You never know what you'll find in there.

Get one of those weed torches and torch the weeds. LOL After cutting all of that you will have a lot of stuff laying around.

Precision
08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
$250 and you don't want the job, you will probably be cursing yourself after your finish. Jobs you don't want need to be way over bid. That way the Pita factor is paid for. I would have gone $50 over the Code enforcer if I didn't want it.

jbell113
08-25-2004, 09:36 PM
hers a couple of b4 and afters 4 ya

jbell113
08-25-2004, 09:37 PM
after let me know if the pics show up

Wreak
08-25-2004, 10:38 PM
Excellent job. Looks awesome.

Palmer Lawn Care
08-25-2004, 10:57 PM
Looks much better :)

Excellent work by the way. :P

Olylawnboy
08-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Sorry Contourbs. I meant what's the final outcome to look like? I would base the price on that. Go for 375. and do a great job! Even put down some fert to speed up the green up as I'm sure you know it will look pretty brown after you knock down that tall stuff.
And KDJ, remember it's in a code violation situation so they have to pay what it's worth. The 400. is what they(code enforcere) will charge to do it for them. And of coarse it will be contracted that out at that price. And they want it done now!
Do it, and do it well, and you'll be remembered:) I get several of these jobs every year and most of them generate more jobs. As long as you do them really well. Oly