PDA

View Full Version : Winter work

PROCUT1
08-22-2004, 08:24 PM
I did a search but the results werent very clear...

Im in the northeast and our general workable time is from about March 15th to around Nov 15th.

I dont do snow removal anymore due to the enourmous increase in insurance premium.

Im looking for Ideas to keep my guys busy for 3-4 month regardless of snow and also to make some money for myself.

tiedeman
08-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by PROCUT1
I did a search but the results werent very clear...

Im in the northeast and our general workable time is from about March 15th to around Nov 15th.

I dont do snow removal anymore due to the enourmous increase in insurance premium.

Im looking for Ideas to keep my guys busy for 3-4 month regardless of snow and also to make some money for myself.

a way around the snow issue high premium is the method for which you take care of the snow. Ask for the price for using just snow plows. And then ask about just using snow blowers. You will see a huge difference.

PROCUT1
08-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Not to mention I hate snowplowing. Talk about the nastiest people you'll meet.

fga
08-22-2004, 08:52 PM
us north east guys go through this all the time..

what i've done on top of the snow work is, put off as long as i can some of the odd and ends work that customers want done. I've done gravel jobs in the winter, grading jobs if the ground isn't completely frozen. cut trees down.
the customers request work alot around thanksgiving until the the middle of december... i usaully stall as long as i can, and have work in january, february. not full time, but enough. can't you extaed your season until the middle of december? my last cut is around December 15th, weather permitting. do you know anything about minor home improvements? or christmas decoration install, (and take down-- work in january:) ). i haven't done that too much, no need, but its an option.

you could always eat it, and give the guys some hours around your own property in between the slow work...

rodfather
08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
My snowplowing insurance is $50 per $5K of revenue. Since we only do like 40K each year , to me that is peanuts...check with your agent IMO.

PROCUT1
08-22-2004, 09:05 PM
I was thinking about some treework myself but I see all the tree companys trucks sitting all winter...... I havent mowed a lawn myself in a couple of years but i think I should start making some home visits and taking notes on things around the clients properties that need to be done and see if i can sell them for the winter.

Brush removal

Grading

Pruning

Tree work

LwnmwrMan22
08-23-2004, 01:09 AM
If you think snow insurance is tough, try tree insurance.

Plus, if you haven't mowed a lawn yourself in a couple of years, that's something that you could do off and on in the summer, stack that money away for living income in the winter, then just let the guys get unemployment.

Either that or sell firewood.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by PROCUT1
Not to mention I hate snowplowing. Talk about the nastiest people you'll meet.

what in the heck was that all about?....i plow snow and im about as clean-cut as they make em

chevyman1
08-23-2004, 09:50 AM
I am starting a Christmas tree delivery service in the winter this year for extra cash. I give the sheet to fill out to the lawn customer, says what kind of tree, the shape, the height etc, I go pick if up at a farm I know where I can call the order in each Friday and they will be ready and bailed with the customer name on them on Saturday morning, and I bring them to the customer and put them in a stand...$20 a tree cost, $60 delivered.

jbell113
08-23-2004, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PROCUT1
[B]I was thinking about some treework myself but I see all the tree companys trucks sitting all winter...... I havent mowed a lawn myself in a couple of years but i think I should start making some home visits and taking notes on things around the clients properties that need to be done and see if i can sell them for the winter.

Thats would I do also like planting flowers , landscaping round air conditioners and cleaning out some gutters

walker-talker
08-23-2004, 10:23 AM
I have a friend that does Christmas lighting and makes an extra $13K a year. Not a lot, but it helps.

chevyman1
08-23-2004, 10:26 AM
that's a lot of money dude for hanging lights, especially if thats his profit. If you make 50-60k profit as a 1-2 man operation that's good money for 8 months of work

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-23-2004, 10:45 AM
tree work is very lucrative in the winter if you know what your doing.....i have an employee whos father owns a decent sized tree service in the area and they have some huge contracts with golf courses and they go in durring the winter and do all of the pruning and removals....its hard work and you have to know the right people to get good winter work for tree removal.

IMPACT
08-23-2004, 12:09 PM
We schedule renovations and removals over the winter. It may be January or February, but we'll go rip out trees, shrubs, cut in new beds, etc., as long as the ground isn't frozen. It never hurts to have some year round commercial checks coming in over the winter months, too. I also try and stash away extra $$ in the savings account for winter while I'm making hay while the sun is shining:D I parked my snowplow rigs in March 2003, and sold them to boot. Too many unlicensed "snowplow scrubs" here in Morgantown. With the big storm last Feb., most HOA's blew thier budgets for 03-04, and were wining about costs. All reopened to bid, and some came back to me with prices like $ 50-65.00 for a $ 200.00 job.Never mind the timeliness of service to these people, or the plethora of anti icing and de icing chems we used to get their roads black by 6AM... I said no thanks, and pulled my landscape maint. contracts with 3 of them as well. Steve from our local plow shop told me they sold 55 plows in 2002, and in Oct. 2003, they had already sold 101, and had an install backlog of 6 weeks.

fga
08-23-2004, 12:27 PM
for me doing the snow work, i just do 3 lots for this one guy (plowing). i make an average of 300 a lot... plus salt costs. and then a small list of residentials with the snowblower/shovels, for about 50 each plus salt costs.. I don't take on anymore lots even though i've been asked so many times. did some plow work for Dunkin Donuts..... bastards, tried to burn me for money, taught me a lesson. but i agree, if i didn't have to plow, i certainly wouldn't.

walker-talker
08-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by chevyman1
that's a lot of money dude for hanging lights, especially if thats his profit. If you make 50-60k profit as a 1-2 man operation that's good money for 8 months of work I don't know exactly his profits, but I know he offers to store them over winter or they can keep them. He told me that he buys his lights in large spools. He will sell them, sell them and put them up and sell them, put them up and store them. I dont think he's too much into the decor other than lights. It's him and 2 other guys. He told me he grosses around $145K a year all together. He also has about 30 chem app jobs.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 03:42 PM
my biggest worry for the lighting industry, which is one of the reasons I never got into it is because of two things:

1. fire liability
2. electricians license