PDA

View Full Version : bob

Mowerboy04
08-22-2004, 10:07 PM
i was just putting away my bobcat for the night when it started to backfire and run relly choppy like it wasen't getting fule. it has done this before but i had my dealer fix it. it has 75 hours on it with a kawisiki engin in it. just wonder if any one out there would know what caused this to happen. just for your infor my dealer says that nothings wrong and since i'm only 15 he treats me like crap and he can't work on my machine for three weeks but other commerical guys he can work on now and that the deal i had with him he makes me mad:angry: well thanks for your input

force350z
08-22-2004, 10:12 PM
buy a universal fuel filter and replace it yourself... it'll save you a lot of aggrevations and time loss. it's very simple and easy to install and only cost about $2.00.

Good luck!

LawnBoy89
08-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I would check your gas lines, you might need to replace your spark plug.

Littleriver1
08-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Look at the choke. Kows run funny if the choke is even a little closed. It may not be opening all the way.

dishboy
08-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Also check that all your operator pressence and blade shut off switches are making good contact or not corroded.

gvandora
08-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Check your gas tank. Any water? Any debris?

How about your airfilter? Are you cleaning it? If so, is debris getting into the carb?

FrankenScagMachines
08-22-2004, 11:30 PM
if it is backfiring, then you're getting fuel, and too much of it for the engine to burn properly. Backfiring is caused when the engine gets too much fuel or has a faulty spark, and raw gas or unburned gas/gas vapors make it into the exhaust and explode in the exhaust system. Thats a backfire, so you're definately getting fuel if it's backfiring. I would first check the choke as mentioned. If you take off the air filter cover and the air filter, you can see a little flap-plate. When you move the choke lever this flap will close and open. When your choke is off, you want that flap open so it doesn't restrict any air in that passage. By the way, keep this part of the engine very clean this is very important. Then you adjust the cable if needed to change the position of the flap. This might be covered in the owner manual for the mower or the engine, or it may be in the setup manual, maybe not in there at all. If not, I can get a pic of mine to show you how it goes together and tell you how to do it.
by the way, i didn't know you drove all the way to greenwood, indiana to get your mower, my dealer treats me the same way but not cuz my age, he just treats everyone that way :mad:

packmate81
08-23-2004, 12:15 AM
tap on tha bottom of the carb where the float is.....when equipment bounces around on the trailer all day or across yards, the flaots tend to stick open or closed, mowers, edgers, and this that isnt 2 strike will do it, might save some of you service costs in the long run

FrankenScagMachines
08-23-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by packmate81
tap on tha bottom of the carb where the float is.....when equipment bounces around on the trailer all day or across yards, the flaots tend to stick open or closed, mowers, edgers, and this that isnt 2 strike will do it, might save some of you service costs in the long run
never once had this happen on ANYTHING. Not even old equipment old garden tractors or anything. It CAN happen and i have had floats stick but not during transport. This shouldn't be a problem. Again if it is backfiring, you are getting fuel.

Forest
08-23-2004, 12:42 AM
True FrankenSkag, he is getting fuel, but a back fire will 8 or 9 times out of ten come from a timing issue. As uncommon as it is in lawn mower land, a leak in the exhaust will also cause a backfire.
There are a few different variables that one could play on. Good luck with it MowerBoy!

IMPACT
08-23-2004, 11:33 AM
I am going to offer a simple peice of advice..check your throttle control while in operation. Make sure it isn't even a hair past the point of full throttle, or it will run richer(with the choke partially closed) and cause the problems you stated.If that's not the case, take it back to the dealer. I am guessing it is still in warranty with only 75 hours on it, so tinkering with it may void your warranty.