PDA

View Full Version : Good Chipper

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 01:01 AM
Ok, looking for a good quality chipper that can handle 2 to 3" diameter tree limbs. Not looking for anything huge, just something small. Is they anything out there that is small that can handle something like this without the huge price tag???:confused:

alpine692003
08-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Vermeer, troy.........

Wreak
08-23-2004, 01:09 AM
I saw a Troy Bilt at Home Depot yesterday that looked pretty good but it didn't have a price. Then I keep seeing those DR Chipper (http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/TwoStepCategory.aspx?p1Name=DRPowerHome&Name=Chipper2Step&BC=0%3AHome&LinkType=2) commercials all the time and drool everytime. I signed up to get a video tape...man, those things are pretty strong. But expensive.

Yard Perfect
08-23-2004, 01:30 AM
Problem with the DR that I see is that they don't self feed. Once you get into a self feed, the price tag really goes up. Without the self feed, you will have to pay someone to bay sit the machine. I also am looking for a chipper. HELP Please

txlawnking
08-23-2004, 01:39 AM
I've used everything from the Bandit's up to some Gorrilla that has a 4-53 Detroit diesel on it ( can't remember who made that one, Wood Chuck maybe? )...The self feed is deffinately worth every dime you pay for it, even if you don't use the thing all the time...and the more hp the better.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 01:43 AM
like I said something not big. I know Bandit and Morbark, right here in Michigan. Been down to the Morbark factory many times, but those are too big for me

txlawnking
08-23-2004, 02:02 AM
Maybe a dosko then? they are on the small side...look tough. I also saw a Bearcat at the Houston expo this weekend, it looked pretty good too, but it too, is probly bigger than you need...

Itsgottobegreen
08-23-2004, 02:27 AM
There is one name when it comes to chippers. BANDIT. I have used a couple of chippers. Bandits will out chip anything. But even their 6" model is probably way to much machine for you.

grasswhacker
08-23-2004, 07:38 AM
I bought a Tomahawk chipper a year and a half ago and it is great. 12 hp B& S and takes up to 4" limbs. Paid 1250. from northern tool co.

Liberty Lawncare
08-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by grasswhacker
I bought a Tomahawk chipper a year and a half ago and it is great. 12 hp B& S and takes up to 4" limbs. Paid 1250. from northern tool co.
Does it have self feed? Self feed is great for vines and prickers. That is what I wind up having to chip alot of the time.

GeeVee
08-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Better to make a purchase that is more than you think you need, than to make a purchase that is inadequate.

Self feeding is a must. 20hp is a minimum.

This is also a "new" purchase, don't buy used.

Something new and large enough to open a segment of biz is warranted. Try a three year plan to get it paid for. Much to important to make one smart purchase here or not purchase at all......... which is a factor for us in this industry.

You may even want to look at leasing such a device-?

Grassmechanic
08-23-2004, 11:13 AM
Do you have a tractor? There are some 3pt hitch chippers out there that work very nice for those that don't want to spend a ton of money.

IMPACT
08-23-2004, 11:53 AM
GeeVee and GrassMeechanic both said basically what I was going to offer. Another option to offset the overhead would be renting from a rental co. when you need to . We get a 30HP towbehind for 165.00 a day when we need it.... But the best thing I found to work for us is to get involved with a dedicated tree service. I am friends with a guy here in town who does an outstanding job with large trees, stump removal, and chipping. They have probably over 200K in grinders, chippers, and large box trucks ,and I call them and let them know where the debris is that I need removed, and they are there within a few days,.. and it's ALOT cheaper than renting a machine and sending two guys to do the clean up, plus I still make money from it. The other benefit from this is if you have a service the tree co. may need from you. They do our large trees and stump grinding, and we do all their re grading and hydroseeding. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I thought I'd offer it anyways.:D

GeeVee
08-23-2004, 01:57 PM
IMPAAAAACT makes some fine points.

When you crunch the numbers on owning a certain size piece that would force you to work it once a week in order to bill its ownership out- you may need to just rent it.

Personally, we tried to not handle the debris that way. If we were doing a ton of regrade, and complete new irrigation, landscape and tree and sod packages- a roll off container worked best. Green waste with sod and soil spoils on top. Deals were made to make it a profit center for us.

If we trimmed out and mulched a Concrete Jungle (Shopping Center, Office Park, Retail Village) we laid the debris in the Parking lot and had our networked tree service chip it and haul it, due to the volume. They were perfect.

My tree service handled everything tree related I would not, with their claw trucks, bucket trucks and chippers. They would send me the light work. They take them down, I only trimmed.

Knowing the company had many workers that couldn't make it to work on Mondays, but still live hand-to-mouth, Saturday was a great day for the company to send a chipper to clean up my mess. (and other odd jobs) Simply hourly, I learned quickly how long it would take them to chip and clean up the area, and factored it in to the price. For thirty yards or more- it was a Friday trim out for us, and by the next noon the lot was clean again.

ed2hess
08-24-2004, 10:16 PM
A small chipper like Troy is worthless...you can bundle and tie up branches faster. It just takes to long to run stuff through the Troy we had one. It is a solid homeower unit....if you want to make mulch. If you are going into tree business get a used Vermeer 620.....it will run about $3- $5K.