greg6775
08-23-2004, 08:28 AM
i like my truck it works well will take alot to pump this out

greg6775
08-23-2004, 09:21 AM
what you all think

TSM
08-23-2004, 01:06 PM
thats what, a 600 gal tank?? (hard to tell the picture is kinda small)

if you are doing mostly liquid apps that is a nice truck. This industry is, it seems, going the granular route more and more. With the ride-on type machines available why not??

We use the machines that allow us to apply a granular fert with a liquid weed control. Before we got into box trucks and these machines we used flat bed trucks like yours. We had 300 gal main tank and two 50 gal tanks on each truck. Still had room to stack any granular product along the side of the bed.

Not a bad set up. But with a box type of truck you actually become a warehouse on wheels. You can carry all sorts of product for any specialty application that may come up during the day and not have to reschedule the application because you dont have the product with you.

Personally, i feel the liquid app is a better way to go. (even though we have moved away from liquid apps, i leave the door open because i might steer us back into the liquid application business)

One other thing about your truck....watch out for the DOT. 600gal fill and you are over weight limit. This weight can also be hard on the suspension and brakes of the truck as well as the motor and tranny.

James Cormier
08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
That looks like the first lawn trucks I started with in 86, that worked fine when every lawn received the same thing, ( fert,prem, weed, dursban ) but those days are long over.

Sometimes I miss those days, seems like granular rd1's are the main reason for crab problems, remember blanket apps of dursban? I was doing them up until 99 with rd 2. OR even a company in Portland Maine use to use a liquid lime.

I can just imagine the soccer mom's faces when they see one of those old tankers pulling up and spraying those horrible chemicals all over the lawn:angry:

Now just hide that tank in a box truck and a trailer and you'll be all set

greg6775
08-23-2004, 08:27 PM
if you looked good my truck will hold about 70 bags of dry and do you think that dry weed control or fert is any safer then liquid most company do dry now cause they only have 200 gal tanks you would pump out 15 yards so if thats all i had that what i would do is push all the time and its a 99 truck dont think it was around back in then when you was spraying

Enviro Green
08-23-2004, 10:25 PM
TSM,

So, if you go granular for the first two rounds of weed control and pre-emergent, what do you mix in the tank for fertilizer? I am trying to go more liquid where I am, but I am having a hard time figuruing what liquid ferts to use, and am thinking about the more granular ride on, but would prefer the liquids....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

EG

greg6775
08-23-2004, 10:52 PM
46-0-0 ureah fert

TSM
08-24-2004, 07:31 AM
greg, first let me say that i'm on your side. you understand by posting on any message board some folks will disagree with ya?

We ran similar trucks as yours and some years ago i worked at a company that ran the exact same truck as yours. And going back even further, when i worked for chemlawn we ran 1200 gal tank trucks.

I do disagree with James when he says "when every lawwn recieved the same thing, those days are long gone"

Vast majority of our lawns recieve the same thing today. Granular is definately quicker to apply AND with the new ride on type of machines not only are they quicker but now you can apply a liquid control product at the same time. Pulling a hose all day can be a moral killer and if you need to do, say $1000 of production per day your in for a long day. (been there, done that, didnt like it)

AS for my personal opinion, a truck like yours is bound to do a better job at getting uniform results. This is my opinion based on 20+ years of experience.

However, James has a very valid point when we talk about the perception of the 'soccer mom'. Perception that a truck like yours is a "chemical truck" and my box trucks are more friendly to the environment. We know they are wrong, but thats the perception.

Very good likelyhood that I will go back to the hose pulling days of old. Maybe next season, maybe the season after that. But I will never go back to a flat bed truck. Our flat beds, like yours also used to carry many dry bags (not 70 bags, but we could get 35-40 bags on) This also 'looks bad' for the environment. I believe an enclosed thruck camoflages (sp?) those issues of perception.

TSM
08-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Enviro...i'm a bit pressed for time right now but i will send you some info for liquid fert. in a day or two.

cantoo
08-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Around here looks are everything, that tanker truck would be like a magnet for the soccer moms.
I spray ball diamonds and soccer fields and I know that there would be a big uproar if I pulled up and started pumping out of that tank. They made the guy before me spray it using high concentrate and a backpack just so it wouldn't look like they were spraying much.

greg6775
08-24-2004, 09:36 AM
well i no around here i have picked up 150 cust in just 1 year so i dont see anybody complaining i hope these landscapers running around pushing dry fert have there licence and insurance to be doing it alot of landscapers doing lawncare now dont have a clue on what there doing the epa is starting to check everybody out now that i have seen iam glad to see it its about time is all i can say bring on the finesssss

James Cormier
08-24-2004, 01:46 PM
My post was mostly tounge-n-cheek, about the spray trucks, Ive spent many years pulling those hoses, I dont miss the work compared to the ride ons, but I do miss the results.

As far as results go, I do feel many more people ( customers )out there are willing to accept a few weeds or problem spots and have far less pesticides applied. Its just smarter for everybody.

Back when I worked for chemdog, I had the 1200 gallon truck, I use to spray that baby out everday, that was when you sprayed 4gal per k, and every lawn got , 3way & dursban, even if it didnt need it. So I do stand behind the statement of those days are long gone ( every lawn gets the same spray ) granted all lawns get fert & dimension, but thats about it for me, If I was to go back to pulling hoses how would you not be able to spray all day and practice IPm?

As a business owner I would never want the liability of a truck driving around with several hundred gallons of juice in it, sure its 99% water, but the general public doesn't know that. Park in a nice neighborhood and drop one drop of that spray on the road and when you drive away you'll have soccer moms rioting in the street.

these are just my thoughts, and opinion's, I dont mean to offend anybody's way of doing business

greg6775
08-24-2004, 01:54 PM
i no james i was lashing out at you

Runner
08-24-2004, 03:57 PM
I'll never pull hose again! A 200 gal. tank for refills, and that's it.

grassguy_
08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
James,
I sprayed along with you back then and don't miss it one bit, well ... maybe... that wonderful odor from the Betasan that our old company got a deal on to spray! MAN, that stuff , as well as the dursban could definitely wake you up every morning!