PDA

View Full Version : give them an inch, they WILL take a mile

bobbygedd
08-23-2004, 10:51 AM
had a very unusual request. the lady has many flower beds, and many trees. she requested i mulch one of the beds, and 3 of the trees. i found this odd. i explained that it would look unusual for only part of the place to be mulched. she said this is what she wants. i didn't get a signed contract, it was a peanut job, but i DID write it up as "mulch front bed only, cut 3 tree rings and mulch same." with a price, and handed her the carbon copy. before i did the job, while i was there mowing, i saw the husband, explained his wifes request. he said, "just do exactly what she asked for." ok, fine, done. she sent a check for payment in full, with a little note:" you forgot to mulch the other 2 trees in the back, you have not fulfilled our agreement, please do so." my first reaction was to unload on her, but i said to myself, i'll be like the lawnsite guys, just this once, and i'll bend considering she's a great payer, and never complains. well, i went this am, as i was doing the other 2 trees, she came out and said, "what about the rest of the trees, and the rest of the beds?" i said, "scuse me, let me get my estimate book." i showed her my original write up, she said, " well, i don't know where you came up with that, but our agreement was to mulch the entire property." i stopped right there, left a mess in the street, the mulch in a pile around the trees, and told her to have her husband call me. drove off. my first mistake was giving in and doing the extra 2 trees. would any of you have done the extra 2 trees?

ElephantNest
08-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Sounds familiar................

GBCS
08-23-2004, 11:13 AM
"would any of you have done the extra 2 trees?"

Only if that would have satisfied her completely. I would have told her that the two trees will be free of charge, but the beds and trees that are not mulched would have to be paid for if she wanted them mulched. It is hard to be on your toes at all times especially with good customers.

meathead1134
08-23-2004, 11:36 AM
you got to love people that try and take advantage of you. Before I start a mulch job I go over the write up with the customer and explain everything that will be done to the T.

jbell113
08-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by meathead1134
you got to love people that try and take advantage of you. Before I start a mulch job I go over the write up with the customer and explain everything that will be done to the T.

Same here.Go over it to the T I have been burned a few times

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I have an impeccable memory. I would have explained the estimate as written, reminded them of the conversations we had (including how you told her it would look odd only partially mulched) and told them the job was done to their stated specs. Any additional work will require more $$ and another written estimate or change order.

Oldtimer
08-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Sounds like too much valium or prozac to me. Bored housewives get all valled up and their mind goes away.

Just my observation from a few years of mowing for the wealthy.

Oldtimer

Dwan
08-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I think it should have required a admenment to the origional est.
or if you are writing an est. that could go beyound then include aditional work as a lineitem on that est.
Like $$ for front flower bed.
$$ for 3 trees
all aditional work to be preformed at cost + 20%

Then do anything thay want and bill acordinly
the aditional work clause should be on all est.

MMLawn
08-23-2004, 12:54 PM
If you went over the original work to be performed with her on the Written Estm and had her sign it agreeing to the work and the charges there is no way that I would do the additional work for free. If you lose her as a customer because of that so be it as she is more of a PITA than she is or will be worth anyway then.

GeeVee
08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Its MEDICATION, in more ways than one.

1. Either she is dosing too high,

2. Not taking enough,

3. Or not taking any when she should be.

-Or-

Bobby is 1, 2, or 3.

We won't even mention why he posts these threads........

Or why they all sound the same, kinda like ZZ Tops same three chord hits........

They must be all needing the same meds?

Or all they all already taking them?

Why he did two more when it clearly wasn't part of the original agreement.......

No, I would not have done two more.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 03:49 PM
I would have done the extra two trees Yes, but all others no. I would have told her it would cost that much more

Ol'time Lawncare
08-23-2004, 04:35 PM
this is a joke, you can't get up in the middle of a job and not clean -up and just walk alway. totally unprofessional,i would have done the 2 trees ,but nothing more,thats coming from one of those lawnsite guys!!!

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Bobby,

YOu posted the same situation a while back...only a couple months ago. Must not have crossed that off your list of "great made up stories for the boys of LS."

Trevor

ElephantNest
08-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
Sounds familiar................

Like I said ^ ^ ^

Maybe he just forgot that he already posted it.

Oldtimer
08-23-2004, 05:27 PM
MEDS

TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE?

Oldtimer

Cutters Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 05:32 PM
It appears Bobby's memory is fading.

MMLawn
08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Trevors Lawn Care
Bobby,

YOu posted the same situation a while back...only a couple months ago. Must not have crossed that off your list of "great made up stories for the boys of LS."

Trevor

DOUBLE DANG and right when I started to have about 25% faith in bobby's stories too!! I guess he should repost his Penthouse Forum story again too. Maybe he just started drinking earlier today:alien:

GeeVee
08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
You guys dissin him ought to be careful. He'll put you on "ignore"

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:33 PM
haha GeeVee.

And all the people that rag on Mark (premierlandscaping) because of his lies. If bobby's stories wernt so amusing i am sure he would have been long ago as would his fan base.

Trevor

GBCS
08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Where is that picture of Bobby at? I need a refresher. :D

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:53 PM
i tried looking for the link to the last thread, but wasnt able to find it...Didnt try to hard...maybe one of us can find it.

Trevor

jim dailey
08-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Ya know, he's starting to wear on me. I go out each and everyday, work hard, solve all the major yard problems for all 71 of my customers (all by myself), come home to the keyboard...and there he is, again. And with some more of his problems. LOOK AT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD! If the shoe fits, Bobby, wear it. They can't all be that bad in Jersey, I lived there for awhile and never met any of the idiots you deal with. Bobby, you have to go to bed some nights, and wonder. Stop beating your head against the wall, and try something else. Take care.

HOOLIE
08-23-2004, 08:43 PM
C'mon, you make some of these stories up, right...

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm.

Funny thing is...He is still browsing the forums....Must be embaressed that his reign for funny man on LS is coming to an end.

I still wasnt able to find that last thread of the SAME SITUATION...I know as well as everyone else...WE read it

Trevor

bobbygedd
08-23-2004, 09:10 PM
scuse me? me, embarresed? ha ha ha ha, impossible! say whatever you want about me, i don't care, fact is, you can post a thread about anything on the planet, and get minimal hits. i can post a thread about dirty underwear, and get 2,000 hits by morning. btw, ALL of my stories are 100% true, and never repeats. if the same story was previously posted, it must have been an imposter, and i will certainly speak to the management about it. thank you for bringing this to my attention

dvmcmrhp52
08-23-2004, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobbygedd
[B]say whatever you want about me, i don't care, fact is, you can post a thread about anything on the planet, and get minimal hits. i can post a thread about dirty underwear, and get 2,000 hits by morning.

And there you have it.................
Maybe just a freudian slip....................?

specialtylc
08-23-2004, 10:25 PM
If I had the same problems or even a fraction of Bobbygedds problems I would have QUIT and went to work for Burger KIng.

Ray & Karen
08-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Resident comedian, and all around good guy.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
i can post a thread about dirty underwear, and get 2,000 hits by morning.

LMAO!!! That is so true:D

Lbilawncare
08-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
If I had the same problems or even a fraction of Bobbygedds problems I would have QUIT and went to work for Burger KIng.
I have to agree, or at least move. Although some people seem to have their problems follow them wherever they go.

crawdad
08-24-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
.......... would any of you have done the extra 2 trees?

No. She probably read the post about you doing 3 jobs with one yard of mulch, and wanted to get even.
Crawdad

gunner27
08-26-2004, 02:20 AM
am i the only one that wonders where bobby is? i guess he is right, haven't seen any new intereresting stories......

lawnprosteveo
08-26-2004, 07:12 AM
No way! I would only do what was agreed upon. I am finding that "going the extra mile" doesn't gain as much loyalty as I once thought. People will try to use you.

greendave
08-27-2004, 09:10 AM
..........hmmmmmm.......I wonder........ how many other internet forums does Bobby write and post fantasy stories on???? How does he EVER find time to do landscape work while dreaming up these stories????