PDA

View Full Version : Getting back in soon and need advice on mower.

KathysLGC
08-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I've done searches but still looking for more direct advice. Going in again solo for next year. I have my Ferris which i may sell to help with the cost of the new mower. For solo what is best zero turn rider or hydro wb? I was thinking a wb because they now have the same hp as riders and with a Velke it's basicaly a rider.

Next I am looking at brands. There are very few variaties i can chose from locally. We have here Scag, Exmark but i want to demo the hustler. I can do most of the repairs myself so should i worry about a dealer close by?

IMPACT
08-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Do you have a Wright dealer close by? A Stander may be the ticket for you, and it will leave you more room on a ten foot trailer for other equipment.

KathysLGC
08-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Not that i know of but I'll do a dealer search. I never thought it would be this hard selecting a new mower. Sure I can test drive mowers but I am versitle and can adapt to many differnt type of mowers. I used the t bar on the toro and a bunch of pistol grips. I would like to see why every one like the ecs of exmark.

I basicaly want to know what guys in my area are using and how it's working for them.
FYI around here there is mostly bluegrass/fescue/ryegrass.

cward
08-23-2004, 04:24 PM
All the brands you mention are top notch. If one model doesn't sway your opinion, let the dealer. I use Gravely. Why? Because my dealer will come and get my mower if there is a problem, if he can't fix it the same day, he will bring me another unit to utilize. The support you get could be the deciding factor.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 04:32 PM
I don't want to step on anyones toes here that use this, but I have heard from a lot of Scag users around here that they hate their Scags. One of the worst investments they ever made. Now that is from 5 to 6 different companies here, because I asked around because I was going to get a Scag at one time.

KathysLGC
08-23-2004, 05:16 PM
I've heard that about the scag wb's but not the riders.

puppypaws
08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
I think you will like the Hustler if you give it a try and they have a very good warranty.

RobH
08-23-2004, 06:21 PM
I bought a new hydro w/b this year and love it. It cuts great and stripes great. I guess there is good and bad with every manufacturer.

I'd probably still choose a dealer that is nearby even if you plan to do the repairs yourself. He may offer you a loaner if your machine needs parts and it would also be easier to get parts if your dealer is nearby.

I think there are a lot of good machines out there. Guys will argue for days on what they think is the best and why. However, one thing that most guys here will agree upon is the importance of dealer support.

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman
I don't want to step on anyones toes here that use this, but I have heard from a lot of Scag users around here that they hate their Scags. One of the worst investments they ever made. Now that is from 5 to 6 different companies here, because I asked around because I was going to get a Scag at one time.

kinda heard the same thing as Troy. Didnt give it to much thought, until i heard it again from a guy that runs scag AT THE SCAG DEALER...I am heavily considering a scag, but demoing i think will be the best bet.

Thats what you need to do.

DEMO DEMO DEMO

trevor

BMFD92
08-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman

yea I have a scag w/b that I bought last year. I really wish i sticked with bobcat or got an exmark. Next season I am selling both my w/b. I am probably going with the 48" tthp and 52" tt and get proslides on both.

HOOLIE
08-23-2004, 08:32 PM
You'll get so many different opinions on this one that the info is almost useless. Best bet is to demo a bunch of them. Even if you are good at repairs, I'd make dealer support the deciding factor. Even if you can fix them, you still gotta buy the parts from somewhere. And if they offer a loaner, thats golden.