PDA

View Full Version : North vs. South

ken50
08-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Boy, after reading these posts, it sure seems like the profit potential is much bigger up north. You have more leaf jobs, lawn renovations, seeding, snowplowing....the list goes on and on, with things you guys have up there that we don't have in the south, or so it seems at least. You guys must be getting RICH!

Randy Scott
08-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ken50
Boy, after reading these posts, it sure seems like the profit potential is much bigger up north. You have more leaf jobs, lawn renovations, seeding, snowplowing....the list goes on and on, with things you guys have up there that we don't have in the south, or so it seems at least. You guys must be getting RICH!

Yeah :rolleyes: I make so much money it's sick.

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Probably advantages to both but I've never worked in the South or the NE for that matter. All I can say about my little corner of the world, the Pacific Northwest, is that we have very little extreme's in temp and weather, work pretty much year round, everything is almost always growing and green. It's been said that in the PNW you could stick a pencil in the dirt and grow a pencil tree! It's a great place to live, work and play with plants.

GeeVee
08-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Service for service, dollar for dollar, COLA.........

Not easy to compare.

More likely an understanding of being a service business, and being good or bad at it, combined with the owners intent for said service business is what drives"success" no matter where you are, or what you are doing.

Since we're a particular trade of service and we are all doing the same things- you must then really only wonder whether a particular person desires to contiually grow his solo -op up to the point of fifty trucks and hundred emplyees or is quite successfull and happy to be a solo op that will be able to retire someday?

MONEY, is not necessarily the driving force.

I have had a headache or two in my life that noone could pay me for.

Intangibles.

rodfather
08-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by dkeisala
Probably advantages to both but I've never worked in the South or the NE for that matter. All I can say about my little corner of the world, the Pacific Northwest, is that we have very little extreme's in temp and weather, work pretty much year round, everything is almost always growing and green. It's been said that in the PNW you could stick a pencil in the dirt and grow a pencil tree! It's a great place to live, work and play with plants.

Yeah, but doesn't that working in the rain alot kind of bum ya out???

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Yeah, but doesn't that working in the rain alot kind of bum ya out??? Not really - besides, with global warming it's almost tropical around here these days! Yeah, it rains plenty here but you gotta take the good with the bad. More rain = more growth = more work!

rodfather
08-23-2004, 06:39 PM
More rain = more growth = more work!

You forgot the "more money" part...lol

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
You forgot the "more money" part...lol You'd hope that would be the case!

jim dailey
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I am getting filthy rich up here. A house lot of 22K s.f., in my town, costs you a minimum of $225K. That's just the uncleared lot. The minimum a house sells for here is $360K. Sister-in-law is a real estate agent. She knows.Lucky me, I own 8 house lots, and am sitting on them for a few more years...then BINGO. Real estate is where the money is up here, not in the lawn business.

HOOLIE
08-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by jim dailey
I am getting filthy rich up here. A house lot of 22K s.f., in my town, costs you a minimum of $225K. That's just the uncleared lot. The minimum a house sells for here is $360K. Sister-in-law is a real estate agent. She knows.Lucky me, I own 8 house lots, and am sitting on them for a few more years...then BINGO. Real estate is where the money is up here, not in the lawn business.

Real estate IS the ticket. Prices around here have doubled or more over just the last few years. And realtors get a percentage of that. And they sell so fast around here, the agents don't really have to "work" like they used to.

You gotta admire an industry that you can get into with a minimum of training and easily pull in 6 figures.

SpudsM15
08-23-2004, 10:11 PM
geez, I dunno about u guys but property taxs are insane up here, for a 15k property you pay close to 6k a year....
oh and yes real estate is crazy over here, people keep buying houses then ripping the old one down and building a mansion on it, leave little lawn left so everything is 25 a cut!!!!!!1

CJ GreenScapes
08-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Way too many things to consider to arrive at a definitive answer to this question - cost of living vs. mowing season lengths vs. competition in a given area...

I am sure some areas are better than others for our line of business, but I have no complaints where I am.

specialtylc
08-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Well obviously you live on the coast.:eek:

dkeisala
08-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Well obviously you live on the coast.:eek: Close but not quite. Vancouver to be exact - not quite as arid as Spokane but definately not the coast.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2004, 01:34 AM
You guys get a lot more lawn cuts per year down south not sure if they pay as well but you do get more of them. Leaf season does not make us rich its just part of the year and the money is the same or less then in cutting season since I need 2-4 more guys per day working it eats into the profits. Plus the days at that time are so short I know some guys work 8 hour days so they would not even notice. But we prefer 10-12 hour days in spring and summer so fall kills the hours. Snow plowing let me put it this way I did it all last winter and this spring I made more in the first 3 days of spring clean ups then I did all winter. I like plowing so much I am NEVER doing it again. I can go broke sitting home.

IMPACT
08-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
Snow plowing let me put it this way I did it all last winter and this spring I made more in the first 3 days of spring clean ups then I did all winter. I like plowing so much I am NEVER doing it again. I can go broke sitting home.

That's what I did last year. .....GeeVee makes a good point , too. It is the desire of the owner(s) to make their companies what they are and can be. Service diversification and quality control are key motivational tools for increasing your field time, thus increasing your $$$. I don't think one seasonal climate matters any more than the next as far as where you can make the most money. It's key for you to have a service people want, and are willing to pay for, or else all the equipment, good / bad weather, trucks, employees, etc., are all useless.JMO

42homers
08-24-2004, 08:15 AM
I think I've worked myself broke!

PNW..........sounds like a nice place.

I think my property taxes last year were $150.00 on 1.5 acres and an 1835 sq ft home.

Not too bad!

It's hot.........it's humid.........but it's home!

Roll Tide!

PMLAWN
08-24-2004, 08:33 AM
If you can make more in one area than another it is because the overall cost of living is higher. If you live where you work than sure you will be making more but you will also be spending more to live and more to make the money. I believe it all washes out in the end, and how you run your business has a lot more to do with it than where you are.
If you are happy with you living environment you will be a positive person and things will work well for you. If you are unhappy with where you are than you should look to change.

Gravely_Man
08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
PMLAWN nailed it on the head. The cost of living is far higher in the north then it is in the south. As a result the wages paid in the north are higher then in the south. Yes, there will be exceptions to the rule but generally this is true.

Gravely_Man