PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Blower - - - Backpack vs push

bmorgan917
08-23-2004, 01:26 PM
Hello - I am Looking for some advice on Leaf blowers. I am looking to buy something to clear my yard (1.5 acres) which is surrounded by trees on all sides. I have used a sweeper on a tractor but it takes way too long and isn't the best on wet leaves.

I got the thumbs up from the Mrs. and would like some recommendations or pro/con on backpack vs push blower. I would like to move a large volume of leaves quickly. I plan to blow leaves onto a tarp and haul it into the woods/to street with my tractor. I bought a electric and it is good for cleaning the driveway, no help on the lawn. I like the Little Wonder push with the honda, but I would like to hear some opinions from the pro's as I want to get this choice right the first time!

Thanks for your help.

Itsgottobegreen
08-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Your need one of each. The back pack for getting leaves out of the beds and the little wonder to moving them off the lawn. Any of the echos back packs are a good choice.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 02:45 PM
I have to agree, that you really need both. Backpack to get out the beds, and push for the everything else

KathysLGC
08-23-2004, 04:24 PM
If you can only get one and dont have either i would say go with the back pack.

CJ GreenScapes
08-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Playboy
If you can only get one and dont have either i would say go with the back pack.

I agree, but either one is going to be better than the lawn sweeper you were using.

Good luck...

dlandscaping
08-23-2004, 04:45 PM
If you could only get 1 I would get the push. Its 1.5 acres, it takes a long time to do 1/4 acre with a bp. If its surrounded by woods then you can just rake out the bushes if you even have any and then blow them all into the woods. A bp will not move nearly as much as a push blower. If you like manual labor, rest up, buy the bp, and then get a tarp out.

FrankenScagMachines
08-23-2004, 05:19 PM
If you could just get one, get a push! Any backpack blower will start to drag your height down a few inches in just a half hour, and it's gonna take a while to clear 1.5 acres with a backpack. If you get a push blower, say 8 or 10hp, I'd bet you could just about push it all into the woods without touching a rake or tarp.

if you get a backpack blower, don't get anything less than 60 cc. The Echo PB650 that I bought I consider a very good purchase. Haven't tried it in leaves yet, but it is flat-out awesome in comparison to my old 46 cc Kawasaki. The model numbers usually have nothing or little to do with the actual engine size. If you are comparing blowers and looking at the CFM's and MPH numbers, make sure that you're comparing them at the same spot. For instance, these numbers are usually measured at the blower housing and at the end of the tube. This number changes somewhere in between. Make sure you compare identical measuring locations. Anyway, I would go for the push blower. For what you do, you could consider a Cyclone Rake to go behind your lawn tractor. They have a vac hose attachment for it to clear out flower beds and they hold alot, you can dump at either the curb or in the woods, and you can use it to bag grass in summer. They also have an attachment to put the grass/leaves into trash sacks. For what a real nice push blower would cost you could get the Cyclone Rake. They also have good reviews from what I've seen, even by commercial users. Just something to think about, and it all depends on your needs. The website is www.cyclonerake.com
Research lots before you buy so you'll get the right thing. I love when i get something and did my research and was confident it was the right option, then when i use it i know it was right :)
Happy hunting,

Four C. Landscaping
08-23-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a Red max 7001 back pack blower and It works great on wet and dry leaves.I have used but do not own a push type blower and have found that if the ground is not level it was a pain to push.They do have nice self propelled ones that are good for uneven terrain.I do agree that if you can only buy one then the back pack blower is the best choice because it is much more versatile.And on the years when you do not need the push blower and the leaves are fewer you still have a power tool that you can use all season.Hope this helps.

kemmer
08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
you gotta have both, it would seem impossible for me if i didnt have my backpack and push blower. if your short on money i'd say get a decent push blower and go to like sears or home depot and get a handheld or a cheap backpack just to hold you over until you get the money. just some advice.

mkwl
08-23-2004, 09:04 PM
I have a 10 Hp Little Wonder blower and it is a fantastic machine!!!! I would also reccomend you get a back pack, I have a Stihl BR320 and it is also a great machine!!!

Fareway Lawncare
08-23-2004, 09:07 PM
You Need a Push to Move Large Piles... Ideally 1 guy on BP & 1 on Push on Smaller Props....or you can run Both @ the Same Time Yourself !

KathysLGC
08-25-2004, 10:06 AM
or you can run Both @ the Same Time Yourself ! Yeah I've done that more then once....

A strong back pack will do the job of a wb blower but it also depends on the hp of the wb blower. If you want to spend over $1000 then get a 13hp little wonder. If this is basicaly for your house and time doesn't matter much then i would say go wqith any top name brand bp but get the most powerful one which should keep you under $550 and will leave you with something that can be used on more then just leaves.

We lived in New Canaan and where on 1/3 acre. I know it's alot smaller then 1.5 acres but I preferred do do the leaves with my bp over my 13hp little wonder. With the push blower you have to keep moving it and push/pull it up hills etc..

The trick for me was to start where I was going to put the leaves and go back and forth in sections keeping the pile of leaves low enough that the bw could push it into where i wanted. After wards I started in the back and cleaned up and straglers left behind. Yes It sounds like alot of work push leaves over what you just cleared but it really isn't because once clear new leaves just float on by..

kemmer
08-25-2004, 11:06 AM
or you can get a backpack and a sheet of plywood, stick it on the front of you mower and u got a leaf plow, i have all 3, i use the backpacks to get the stuff outa the bushes and then hit it with the push blower and use the backpack at the same time to the the small stuff it doesnt get. then if im in a confined space and dont want the leaves to go everywhere with the billygoat and the redmax cant handle it i push them out to the street with the leaf plow. u can do that or spend a lotta money on the jrco leaf plow...

gunner27
08-25-2004, 03:06 PM
i agree that you need a backpack and a push blower. then you can also get a 60 inch ztr and and a good commercial trimmer and truck and trailer and you are ready to go! (joking) for homeowner use, a really good commercial backpack blower would probably be you best bet. won't move leaves as quick as a push blower but has more uses for someone not in landscaping full time. works good to blow off drives, patios, clean gutters, blow out garage or shed, plus many more uses. i would have to agree with some of the others though that said get the most powerful backpack you can afford. it should last a long time for you.

locutus
08-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Playboy
If you can only get one and dont have either i would say go with the back pack. This is correct. You can get a Redmax 8000 backpack blower. It has enough force to handle your lawn easily. I wouldn't wait for all of the leaves to come down before using it. It would be much easier if you removed the leaves on a regular basis.