PDA

View Full Version : What Grassy Weed is this?

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Every year when our grass in Wisconsin goes dormant from the summer heat some of my lawns have this grassy weed that stays green and makes the whole lawn look bad. All I can tell you its not crab crass and it is a perennial. Same stuff year after year same spot.

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 03:49 PM
One more, from the side.

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 03:50 PM
And one with it's toes showing.

chevyman1
08-23-2004, 03:52 PM
it is Crabgrass, or that's at least what we call it here

barnard
08-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Is it dalis grass?

GreenQuest Lawn
08-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Tall fescue........

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 05:05 PM
Todd, big blade fescue is what I was told by homeowner. I think you may be right. So how do you get rid of it.

MMLawn
08-23-2004, 05:09 PM
YEP...that's Tall Fescue alright.

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 05:20 PM
So when Tall Fescue is in a lawn like this. Cool season grasses. How do I get rid of it?

imograss
08-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Yep, it's tall fescue. It's a delicatessen down here.

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Well I would like to send a "bunch" down south right now!

Pecker
08-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Pomeranian? Just kidding, but it does look alot like my dog. Anyhow, although it is a northern weed, we have a weed that resembles it alot. The bad thing about it is that it is stronger than the grasses.

i_plant_art
08-23-2004, 07:28 PM
good ole shot of round up is what i use on it here

Sooners
08-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by PR Fect
Well I would like to send a "bunch" down south right now! I trade you some for my Bahia. LOL!

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Chevyman, just wanted to show you some crabgrass. Got some of that in the same lawn. Along the road where my pre emergent barrier is broken.

PR Fect
08-23-2004, 09:26 PM
The two side by side.

HayBay
08-24-2004, 06:50 AM
Yep, have that here too.

You need to use a non selective herbicide on it, like roudup.

Then reseed the dead area.

GroundKprs
08-24-2004, 08:16 PM
There is a selective control for tall fescue. It is now manufactured by Riverdale, name is Corsair. It was originally marketed by Lesco over ten years ago as TFC.

But BE AWARE: Corsair will also kill ryegrass. I have used it more to get rid of rye than tall fescue. TF will take a few apps to clean up completely, but rye is usually just one app.

For just a little tall fescue in a lawn, an artists type paint brush with a 30-35% solution of Roundup is another selective means.

lawnboyCO
08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
i tell all my customers there are 2 ways of getting rid of tall fescue, either dig it out or kill it with roundup, then you will have to reseed the area with what ever you want coming up there or weeds will come in there

LawnBoy89
08-24-2004, 09:14 PM
That weed looks alot better and greener then that grass that is surrounding it!

PR Fect
08-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LawnBoy89
Still not much rain here in north east Wisconsin. Mowing twice a month. Thanks for the help. I think I like the idea of the paint brush over the shovel.

farmer_lab
08-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Just mix up some roundup hit it because it sure looks like TF to me.

eclipselawn
08-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Correct me if im wrong but Tall Fescue is a form of grass around here. It is actually preffered. Obviously it is doing much better than the other grass. This stuff is very drought tolerent and good for the cold. I would suggest replacing the lawn with the tall fescue. That is just how it is here in Colorado.

MMLawn
08-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by PR Fect
So when Tall Fescue is in a lawn like this. Cool season grasses. How do I get rid of it?

Fescue is a Cool Season grass also.

Like the others said, Roundup and wait until it is coompletely dead and reseed.

Chris Wagner
08-25-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't think I would advise it for larger jobs (unless the money is there), but if I encounter this, I just dig it out and replace with sod or seed.

BladesAway
08-25-2004, 03:21 PM
we call it field fescue. grows year round here. really makes a yard look shabby. roundup works good.

GroundKprs
08-25-2004, 06:45 PM
What a bloodthirsty group replying, PR. Seems the only real way for anything is Roundup -
kill ! :blob3: - kill !! :blob4: - kill it all !!! :blob2:

muddstopper
08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
I would have to agree with eclipselawn.
Fescue makes an excellent lawn. It is pretty evident that your area preferrs the fescue to the other type of grass that you have planted. Why not just overseed with fescue seed. While the picture that you posted showed a wide bladed grass, fescue will actually have thinner leaves the thicker it is planted. Rates of 300lbs per acre of common K31 fescue will result in a lawn that is thick and produce a finer grass blade than the thinner stands of the same grass. Proper mowing with heights of 3 to 4 inches will produce a drought resistant durable turf that will feel like a carpet when you walk on it. While fescue does go dormant in hot weather, it will retain its green color and stay green in the winter months as well. Fescue has been found growing in every state in the U.S. includeing Alaska and Florida and desert states such as New Mexico and Arizonia. It is a hardy grass to say the least so why fight it.

I aint sure that is tall fescue you showed in your picture, looks more like johnsongrass which is actually a sorgum

Critical Care
08-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Here is a good key to identifying tall fescue:

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/edmat/html/pnw/pnw504/id.html

Used to have an account that had a tall fescue lawn. It always looked good, but the grass grew fast and produced a lot of clippings to bag.

PR... I notice that you have some spotted leaf spurge mixed in with the grass. Nice little summer weed that's all too common out here this time of year.

MOW ED
08-26-2004, 08:46 AM
PR,
I just got back from vacation and found your thread. Ahhh my friend tall fescue. I have the same problem as you would expect. The spurge is an easy kill with Speedzone, the crabgrass is done with drive but the tall fescue just laughs unless you give it the round-up or the round point. I could make lots of money if there were an easier way to irradicate this crap. The problem is that most customers that have this become a problem don't water their lawns. Its in every lawn but it really jumps up in the dormant ones.
I have never tried Corsair as Jim mentioned because I am a little afraid of the rye situation. I am thinking back to my class and vaguely remember someone talking aboout a product called Fusilade II but I do not believe that it is labeled for lawn apps so in that case it won't do. Jim do you have any insight to Fusilade II?
Hopefully our luck has changed, I actually saw some rain yesterday. Now I won't have to avoid those 1 foot cracks in the clay. Take care.

PR Fect
08-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Are, you all relaxed now ED? I just had a 4 day vacation my self. To the guys in the transition zone, a bluegrass- perennial rye grass lawn is the preferred and " normal " lawn in this area. Most have a fine fescue verity in the mix also. If we where to put in a TF lawn here we would get many looks or even complaints. You need to know that the TF only show's its ugly head for a few weeks in mid summer when we do not have regular rain and/or mowing's. I'm going to mow this property today so its all the same height. We the rain last two days, the color should blend. I sure am glad my customer does not have the same eyes as you guys! Wow, one little piece of spurge and you think its a infestation!

Critical Care
08-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh man, one little piece of spurge leads to another... quickly. Good name for it, eh? Of course 2-4D takes care of it nicely.

Now about the fine fescue... back when I was using a Toro 44" wb with a catcher on it... One lady had a fine fescue lawn and I really liked the appearance of it, but that ol' Toro kept spitting out these fine blades all over the place. It had a devil of a time bagging the stuff. Anyone else ever notice that problem?

eclipselawn
08-27-2004, 01:00 PM
In hopes to clearing things up a little. I just wanted to show a lawn that I do that is all tall fesce. Around here I would rather cut this lawn over any with bluegrass. I also think that it looks better. I do also have tall fescue for my lawn. Anyway, just wanted to show an example of what it could look like if it is well taken care of (with normal to minimal effort i might add).

Steve9
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by LawnBoy89

You should ba asking how to make it spread and kill the other stuff!

PR Fect
05-01-2005, 12:22 PM
There is a selective control for tall fescue. It is now manufactured by Riverdale, name is Corsair. It was originally marketed by Lesco over ten years ago as TFC.

But BE AWARE: Corsair will also kill ryegrass. I have used it more to get rid of rye than tall fescue. TF will take a few apps to clean up completely, but rye is usually just one app.

For just a little tall fescue in a lawn, an artists type paint brush with a 30-35% solution of Roundup is another selective means.
Jim, took your advice. Got the corsair. Here is the results.

PR Fect
05-01-2005, 12:52 PM
This is first part of September last year. Put down a mix of Corsair with Threeway for fall aplication. This is what the lawn looked like that day.

PR Fect
05-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Corsair works! Here is the same lawn this late April.

PR Fect
05-01-2005, 01:06 PM
This area of the lawn is shaded by those buckthorn hedges. I believe it had a large amount of ryegrass in that area along with the mostly bluegrass lawn. The corsair took out the ryegrass also. I applied some 32-3-8 fertilizer first part of April and a second application of Corsair & Threeway late April. Now, how about reseeding? or Overseeding? Any suggestions? PR

TMlawncare
05-01-2005, 01:54 PM
it is Crabgrass, or that's at least what we call it here

Thats not crabgrass. Crabgrass won't even appear till later in the season. What this grass is in a tall fescue clump. You can dig it out. Spray with Roundup (if licensed), spray with corsair (if licensed).

BareFootLawn
05-01-2005, 03:10 PM
This is not the tall fescue that you like. Yes, some folks prefer tall fescue, but this type is a gargantuan problem and not the "nice pretty" tall fescue that folks like.

For what it's worth. I cut several soccer fields and one of them was overun with this. The Athletic Director and the coach were concerned that athletes were going to trip over it (once it's mature, it actually forms a root clump that is higher than the surrounding area). This was in June. I aerated the field, applied a heavy dose of fertilize, reseeded directly on top of the areas of tall fescue (no roundup) and by late August, when the fall season started, most of it was gone. Had an "oldtimer" that I cut for tell me that it's easy to crowd out with good grass.

I think he may have been right.

MOW ED
05-01-2005, 03:23 PM
I have always noticed the TF is prevalent in the spring and goes away as the season progresses with no intervention. I do like the idea of crowding it out and I will give it a try.

scout_pete
05-01-2005, 06:46 PM
One man's weed is another man's turf. Tall fescue is also the preferred seed for much of the mid-atlantic area. It is not rhizomatous (does not spread by runners) and it clumps naturally. Most goos stands of tall fescue around here are Kentucky 31. Becasue it does not fill in, the best looking K31 lawns most likely have been overseeded in spots each year, and need to be overseeded every five years, or so. Do a Google image search for images of tall fescue and you can see pics of the beautiful, the bad, and the ugly:

Tall fescue picture search (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=tall+fescue&btnG=Search)

You might want to do a search on Goose Grass, too, from what I see in the pictures above.

PR Fect
05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
This is not the tall fescue that you like. Yes, some folks prefer tall fescue, but this type is a gargantuan problem and not the "nice pretty" tall fescue that folks like.

For what it's worth. I cut several soccer fields and one of them was overun with this. The Athletic Director and the coach were concerned that athletes were going to trip over it (once it's mature, it actually forms a root clump that is higher than the surrounding area). This was in June. I aerated the field, applied a heavy dose of fertilize, reseeded directly on top of the areas of tall fescue (no roundup) and by late August, when the fall season started, most of it was gone. Had an "oldtimer" that I cut for tell me that it's easy to crowd out with good grass.

I think he may have been right.
Good luck with that. I have some really nice lawns that have tall fescue in them. And it does not go away on its own. The corsair is the first thing I seen work other than Glyphosate.

fjhemmer
05-05-2005, 02:07 PM
I believe it's called Chewings Fescu.