PDA

View Full Version : churches

jsfrk
08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Does anyone have that much success with churches?

The mayor
08-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Twice bitten from 2 different churchs on non payment. Never again. Filthy thiefs that's all they are.

GrassBustersLawn
08-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I gave up soliciting them. They always have a "church member" willing to cut it for free or next to free. Several churches I know have member on a sign up sheet taking turns. Stupid thing is, I know they have paid BIG BUCKS for a tractor that none of them take care of. They ending up paying BIG BUCKS for new equipment every couple of years. Could pay a LCO to do a QUALITY JOB and not have to mess with the equipment!!!

MIKE

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Chances are every church has a member that owns an LCO, if you arent a member there...good luck getting a foot in the door. Some people do pretty well with churches. I got my first call from one, very early this year...(Deacons decided to maintain it), got a call last week...Bid still pending.

In my church alone there are 4 of us that i know of that own LCO's. Only have about 600 people that attend.

Trevor

SodKing
08-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I secured a $200,000 contract with a church to landscape the entire property. The project will be completed in $50,000 phases. We completed the first phase last year.

Trevors Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SodKing
I secured a $200,000 contract with a church to landscape the entire property. The project will be completed in $50,000 phases. We completed the first phase last year.

congrats.....you prolly got one of the catholic ones, before they had to start settling lawsuits because their priests are gay, and love little boys.

Trevor

65hoss
08-23-2004, 08:00 PM
I haven't had any problem with churches. I'd rather do them than most any other type of property.

promower
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I do a church that takes me about 7-8 hrs to mow. They are late on the payment once in a while but other then that I like doing it. I'm a member, so I was first pick over non-members. I should post some picks I have some nice stripes coming in there.

NNJLandman
08-23-2004, 08:24 PM
I love it when they call...yea we want this this this this this and oh yea this....sure we can do that.....oh one other thing we have a really tight budget oh yea what that, well ever hear of a donation.

Jeff

Sooners
08-23-2004, 08:38 PM
I mow the church property where I am a member. I mow it on Friday get paid on Sunday and the money's in the bank on Monday!

Creative Lawn Care
08-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I mow the church I attend. They are occasionally late but not bad. Have been there for for about 6 years now. Only real problem is somtimes the older members of the church have thier own opinions on how things should be done.

odin
08-23-2004, 09:43 PM
I was doing three ,now two despite being chonically slow i consider em good accounts.

Do the preachers homes to they shoot a lot of biz my way so i overlook the slowwwwwwwwnessss in their payments.

One out and out tryed to beat me out of money dropped them..and was creative with my collection methoid with them.

I threatened to start attending services.

meathead1134
08-23-2004, 10:10 PM
I mow a church weekly and have no problems sometimes the payment maybe a week late but ok here.

txlawnking
08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Our church has a pool of about 8 guys who rotate out every other Sat.. including myself.

tiedeman
08-23-2004, 11:09 PM
I do the mowing at my church for free (only takes me 20 mins) but it does lead to other things from the church people....a lot of work

CJ GreenScapes
08-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I do not do a church, but I do the entrance of our subdivision. It's hard enough to please 70 people with different opinions, couldn't imagine trying to please a whole congregation... Also, since I live in this neighborhood, everybody thinks I should do the little extras for free - for the good of the neighborhood. I don't think so... There is no way I would do my own church and magnify that problem.

Blessed 1
08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
I have a church that I do. No problems at all. I even have been doing the Pastors house for the last 7 weeks at $125 a week. Last week I told him 1/2 price, I was so pleased!

Runner
08-24-2004, 11:20 AM
I have two churches that right next door to each other that I do. Great stop. The first one, I aquired about 10 years ago. The pastor lives in a subdivision near me and stopped me. I went over to look at it, and it was in dire need of help. It was this great little "chapel" type of church, but it had weeds growing up all in the sidewalks and along the buildind thorough the concrete. Bushes overgrown, no edging had ever been done, overgrown ditch, etc..
It was a cloudy, rather gloomy day the day I went over to do it. I took my time, cleaned it all up, took care of all the weeds in the wakk and lot, cleared the ditch, edged, trimed the bushes, and mowed and picked up. This place was shining when I finished. When I was done, I walked back to the rig, which was parked out in the street (sidestreet). I noticed the sun peaking through the clouds, and as I was putting the blower back on the trailer, I turned around and was amazed at what I saw. A beam of sunshine was shining down on this little white chapel amongst all the other area (entire neighborhood) around it that was still all gray and gloomy. It was so cool looking, I only wish that I would've had a camera. I still laugh, because it reminded me of something hearing the choir strike out a chord "Aaaahhh" lol
I just looked up into the sky at this time, and said. "You're welcome!"

zpoore
08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Who do you ask to cut a church? Do you walk in and ask the pastor or how does that work out?

Outsiders Lawn Artists
08-24-2004, 11:41 AM
If you cut a church, Do you have to pay taxes on it. If not why?

new guy to site/lco

DLCS
08-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Outsiders Lawn Artists

new guy to site/lco

Yes, why wouldn't you?

Remsen1
08-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I was trying to add a couple churches with the idea of giving a price of (ex.) $200 per week (for a yard that I would normally charge $125), and get $75 from the church and a receipt for a $125 donation. x 2 churches x 20 weeks = $10,000 tax write off. All the churches I've inquired on have a member who does the work, haven't even got around to talking about price. I'm not sure if this would work out too good either that's why I was going to charge enough to cover costs and make a little for my time.

Turf Dancer
08-24-2004, 04:10 PM
They are slow paying for me most of the time. But hey I only do one now and it takes me 35-40 minutes and I get $30 plus I get referals from a few of the members.

CJ GreenScapes
08-24-2004, 05:09 PM
Remsen1, I'm not sure if that would work, but I like the way you are thinking. I really don't see what's in it for the church in your scenario - they write you a receipt for a $125 donation and a check for $75? In theory they only received a $50 donation because the normal charge would be $125.

Remsen1
08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
The Church wouldn't know that I would normally charge $125. So when I say "... It's a $200 yard, but I'll do it for $75 if you write a receipt for $125..." they would feel like they got a $125 discount. This and the fact that they only have to spend $75 in actual cash would be the only real benefit to the church.

My mark-up from $125 to $200 would cover me for the fact that I won't get all of my $125 donation back when I get my tax return.

So far this is all hypothetical cause I haven't been able to land one of these, I haven't even gotten as far as quoting a price cause they've had people doing them for free.

Sooners
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Outsiders Lawn Artists

new guy to site/lco No! You don't have to pay taxes. You have the right to be fined or go to jail. Actually, they're like a business. You get one of those little forms at the end of the year that they send a copy of to the IRS.

jug head
08-24-2004, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Remsen1
[B]I was trying to add a couple churches with the idea of giving a price of (ex.) $200 per week (for a yard that I would normally charge $125), and get $75 from the church and a receipt for a $125 donation. x 2 churches x 20 weeks = $10,000 tax write off.

---LOL- God will send a yellow jacket after you for stuff like that--
but it is good thinking--I mow our church and ask them to pass the plate twice if there isn't enough to pay me:D but have had to do it for free a couple of times when the money wasn't there. keeps them loyal to me==plus, I would hate to have another memeber srew up my nice stripes:cool:

Royalslover
08-24-2004, 11:55 PM
I mow two churchs; My own and one that I've been doing for 16 years. It's my biggest account and I have never had any problems with pay or anything else. I do my own church for free, not because they asked me to, but because the Lord(yes I know
Jesus personally) :angel: convicted me about charging for it.