PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp in Mulch Beds

Husky03
08-23-2004, 06:27 PM
I have aquired my first account where the lady wants me to weed her mulch beds every other week. They are 2 very large beds and it would not be effective for me to pick all of the weeds every other week. Is it safe for me to use RoundUp in the mulch beds? The beds have flowers and plants in them. Will it harm the other plants root systems? Is there something else that would work better? Am I supposed to have a chemical liscense before applying this? Please tell me anything you think I will need to know. This is my first time using any type of chemical.

Thanks...:)

i_plant_art
08-23-2004, 06:46 PM
round up is fine for the areas where there are not any other plants around also watch for over spray on windy days... if the mist gets on any of the other plants it will harm if not kills them.... also do not do not do not mix it stronger than it says on the bottle.........

another chemical you can get is Fusalade or Fusalade II it works to kills grasses and some weeds. also Lesco Gran is a good one to use too to control broadleaf weeds in beds ... both of these can be mixed together as specified on the bottle... they work good together........

i use the aboe listed Round-up Pro as well as the Fusalade II and Lesco Gran mix. keep seperate sprayers ... one for the round up and one for the fusalade mix... these things can be purchased from you local Lesco (http://lesco.com) or John Deere Landscapes ( http://johndeerelandscapes.com ) i think lesco gran is only available at lesco though

another thing i like to use is a product called Snapshot its a grainular pre-emergent that is used to flower beds to prevent weeds from comming up this product works REALLY REALLY good its listed for over 186 different weeds and last for up to 8 months..... it works good put comes with a price but is well worth it to me ... i pay $106 for a 50lbs bag (the smallest bag) but it covers a lot of sq.ft. round up Pro is roughly $112 for a 2.5 gal bottle but mixes out 2-3oz/gal ( it will last a long time,plus cheaper than going to home depot) and fusalade is about $45 per 32oz and mixes out .75oz/gal

these are the things that i use to control for weeds...... let me say this ive been using them for 2 yrs now and dont spend very much time each week pulling weeds mostly in part to the fusalade/lesco gran.

hope this helps ya out any other question feel free time PM me.

GrassBustersLawn
08-23-2004, 06:46 PM
YES - You are supposed to be LICENSED in INDIANA to apply ROUND-UP! Matter of fact, you are supposed to be LICENSED to apply anything other than STRAIGHT FERTILIZER! Classes are at PURDUE, right on your door step, so there is NO EXCUSE for you not to get licensed! If they (OISC) catch you, you can be fined WAY MORE then this job you are doing is worth. PASS ON IT until you can do it LEGALLY!

Mike

dvmcmrhp52
08-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I suggest you get some education on the subject first, then get licensed.

GrassBustersLawn
08-23-2004, 06:52 PM
OOPS, I see from your PROFILE that you are 15. You can't be licensed at 15. You need to PULL THE WEEDS BY HAND or PASS ON THE JOB! IF you get caught using products without license you are in for a big fine. How do you get caught? Spray Round-Up at your customer's house & have it drift onto neighbor's tomatoes (or any other plant). Neighbor will be pissed and report you to OISC, then you are SUNK!

DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT!

Mike

Husky03
08-23-2004, 06:58 PM
I am now 16. How old do I have to be? Seems like you can never become completely legal. I have heard so many different things on this board.:angry: Appreciate the help.

GrassBustersLawn
08-23-2004, 07:16 PM
I think it is 18. (You have to be 18 to be LEGAL for just about everything...sign a contract, etc.) You can call Purdue OISC office at 317-494-1594 and ask them.

To be LEGAL, you have to take (and PASS!) the CORE class & test ($90 & all day). Then take the 3B class & test (another $90 & all day). Then take a 2 1/2 day "practical" course (about $250 as I remember). THEN when all that is done you have to PAY for your 3B Certification ($30) and your BUSINESS LICENSE ($30). PLUS you have to have INSURANCE that is endorsed to cover pesticide use...which is where the BIG BUCKS start rolling out the door!

That is the long story. The short story is you HAVE TO DO ALOT OF BUSINESS (fert & squirt) to make it worth while! One customer isn't going to do it.

Guys that make their LIVING doing this kind of work, don't have any problem turning in ILLEGAL OPERATORS when the see them working. Just pull the weeds & when you develope enough business to support the COST OF DOING THE WORK, then get licensed.

Your comment "Seems like you can never become completely legal."....welcome to the world of business! It TAKES MONEY to MAKE MONEY!!!

Mike

Olylawnboy
08-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Great posts Mike, you said it like it is! Oly