PDA

View Full Version : pita customer called me a liar!

nriddle77
08-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Tonight I get a call from Mr. X. He tells me that my services are no longer needed. I said ok that's fine, I sent you an invoice today.
He said "I don't owe you anything, you haven't been doing any work"
I said excuse me sir but I have cut your rental property twice already, as requested by your wife. He insisted I haven't been there and that the grass is overgrown. I told him to talk to his wife, because she had seen the grass after I cut it the first time.
So he called me back and said that I only cut the front, not the back and has no way of knowing if I cut anything on the second visit.
He said he'd pay me half the money, or nothing at all.
I said he can pay me half, and I'll spray the grass with roundup so mowing won't be a problem anymore. He didn't care for my suggestion.

I won't kill his grass, I was just blowing smoke. I just don't like being called a liar. The man doesn't even live there, he lives 35 minutes away. I think he's just trying to save a few bucks.

Gene $immons
08-23-2004, 10:41 PM
Great one

today I made over 2000.00 without doing much at all.

qualitylandscaping
08-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Wait until they sue you for everything you have for the "threat"..

fga
08-24-2004, 12:17 AM
you're such a liar...:)

but that's why customer relationships are important, gotta know who you're dealing with. landlords in general are usaully cheap, unless they are renting out an apartment in their own house. i don't like working for people who i don't even have an option of seeing them personally each week. i don't knock on doors unless i have to, but its nice to have the option to discuss any matters personally face to face if they arise.

GrassBustersLawn
08-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Take him to small claims court! That'll make his day.

Mike

IMPACT
08-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Well, unless you can produce a route sheet or an employee to vouch for you in court proving you did the work as agreed on the dates in question, you're pretty much boned. Big problem with absentee owners is communication.I would call him every time I cut, etc. , at his property and leave a voice mail on his phone as well. I don't know how much this guy owes you, but I'm sure it's not enough to waste a day's wages in court to play "he said, she said" games with an unamused judge who is just waiting for the right time to dismiss the case because he has an afternoon tee time. If you have the proof, take it to him and counter sue for costs, opportunity time, and all fees associated with the proceedings. It may change his mind about paying his bill in full. He's not foreign by any chance, huh?:eek:

nickslawn
08-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Just turn it over to your local collection management. It always works. They don't pay or pay slow it goes on their credit. That how it is done here.
Nick

Gravely_Man
08-24-2004, 09:19 AM
That is some bad news to hear. I would think about contacting a collections agency , having a lawyer send them a letter, or taking them to court. The threat you made will not sit well with the judge however.

Gravely_Man

HayBay
08-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Search the site for Crew Worksheets.

Similar to what IMPACT metioned.

Keep track of things like, date, temperature, time in/out, jobs performed, exceptions to the norm, tools accounted for, etc...

Might help for situations like this.

Mr. Magpie
08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Write him a letter: Payment is not contingent on your ability to tell whether I came or not by looking at the lawn weeks after the fact. The fact is I personally came and worked my butt off. I remember coming the second time, and my records show that I came. Your property is a part of a route; my system does not allow for skipping lawns. Your perception of grass growth could possibly be your shortcoming here. Some grass/weeds grow decievingly fast, I forgive you. Just pay for what I earned and we'll part ways. I do not work for free just because someone speculates that I didn't show up. Thank you for your prompt cooperation.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 02:46 PM
oh yeah, been called a liar bunch of times before.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I agree with Impact, any time I'm dealing with an out of area owner.. I take before and after digital pix and email them to the owner.. I also require payment up front as well....

Tonyr
08-24-2004, 05:51 PM
every new client, i take before and after pics...too many smart arses around these days.

DennisF
08-24-2004, 07:22 PM
Check the lien laws in your state. You may be able to place a lien on the property. That usually opens up the wallet of cheapskate property owners.

By the way...I don't do rental properties unless the job comes from a rental agency. Individual landlords are the scum of the earth and will lie, cheat and steal to save a buck on rental properties. JMO.

nriddle77
08-24-2004, 07:32 PM
When I came home from work today, I had a message on the machine. It was Mr. X, saying he would in fact pay me the full amount owed. I turned off the answering machine for awile, after he left two angry messages. He called about 5 times before I finally turned the machine back on. It seems that I made him sweat a little bit.
I'm not saying that this is a good thing to do to someone, but I am glad that he agreed to pay me. The amount he owed was not very much, so I wouldn't bother pursuing any legal action. I just don't like someone insisting I'm a liar.:D

HOOLIE
08-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Glad its worked out. Had a similar situation today with a former client who owes me a small amount of money from 2003. Tried calling & leaving messages. Finally reach him today, he says "you never did the work". And that he tried to call ME (BS). Anyway, I found my route sheet from Nov. 4, 2003 and faxed it to him.

The deal was, I told him if I couldn't find the route sheet I'd drop the charges, otherwise he didn't have a leg to stand on.

Mr. Magpie
08-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Even scum people have a hard time keeping it up. The truth shows even with these purposely (or conveniently) ignorant folks.

all ferris
08-28-2004, 12:19 PM
If they don't pay I just tell them I will turn them in to a collection agency. I'm usually not too worried about the money (I'll get by without it) it's the principal that if the work was done we should get paid.

fcl01
08-28-2004, 12:44 PM
had a guy who thought we skimped on his mulch. turned out to be he said/we said. called us liars and said hed never have us do mulch again but wanted us to continue our other services. told him no and that we wont service anyone who treats us like that. may of been a mistake cuz he was a doctor in a very rich community but i dont think so. mainly because his wife loved us and called several times afterward to try and get us back. i felt bad telling her no but her husband can take his million dollar home and his P.H.D. and shove it up his azz.

Im glad to say that he did find another landscaper. and his property looks like crap!!

HOW YA LIKE ME NOW DR. DIPSH*T!!

Expert Lawns
08-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Here is part of a letter I got off of lawnsite. Not sure who the original author, but I used a few lines out of it in one of my letters that was VERY effective when it came to deadbeats...

Dear Customer,

Your account is seriously past due. We’ve sent several statements, going back several months, which have gone unpaid. You have made no attempt to communicate with us regarding the balance due. We have concluded that you do not intend to pay the balance due.

We intend to file suite in small claims court for the balance due if it is not paid in full within 5 days from the date of this letter. Any unpaid judgments from small claims court against you, in the county in which you live or once lived, will likely have a negative impact on your ability to obtain credit from other lenders, including mortgage companies, potential landlords, banks, credit card companies, departments stores, etc. You will also be responsible for any late fees, judgement fees, and/or court costs incurred during this time.

Enclosed you will find a copy of the original invoice, as well as your new invoice including any late fees that may have been assessed. Again, if this has simply been an oversight on your part, we apologize for making the wrong assumptions and look forward to receiving your immediate payment.

Sincerely,