PDA

View Full Version : Honda Or Stihl?

Petr51488
08-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I was looking at 2 trimmers. Either the Stihl FS80 31.4 cc 4 mix or the Honda 31.0 cc 4 cycle (no oil mixture) Which would you choose? I never considered Honda but when they come to engines they are pretty damn good. What would be your choice?

printer88
08-23-2004, 11:36 PM
All I can say is that the honda engine on my pressure washer is awesome.I have had it 3 years now and it is as good as ever.I did look at the honda trimmers though and they seemed kinda heavy.As for Stihl everyone knows they are hard to beat!

dvmcmrhp52
08-23-2004, 11:48 PM
The fs80 is a 25cc motor not a 31cc.

I'm a Stihl person, honda used to beat the competition but I don't think they are any better than their competition any more.
The other companies have done their homework.
JMO.

Lorge
08-23-2004, 11:53 PM
I think you mean the Stihl FS 110. I own 2. They are great! The power is amazing compared to your average 2 cycle. My only complaint is that they eat through line fast when you use the trimmer to edge sidewalks and curbs.

jsr2741
08-24-2004, 12:16 AM
I have both. I like some things better about the Honda over the Sthil; i.e., no oil to mix, a lot better fuel economy, its longer allowing me to reach under bushes and whatnot, no where near as loud and in my opinion it does trim a bit better.

The Stihl on the other hand is lighter, has a better trimmer head (the Hondas head will for some reason unlock and throw the spool and everthing out if you get in some heavy grass/weeds), and it does a better job edging.

I do like the feel of the new 25cc honda as it is lighter (2 lbs less than the umk 431) but I haven't used one of those yet.

Turf Dancer
08-24-2004, 03:37 AM
I have had the pleasure of running both and I like the Hondas better. I have two Hondas a 31 and an old umk24 I think it is. They are heavier and I wouldn't own anything else, quiet and use half the fuel and no stinky exhaust. I also own a Red Max and the only reason I have it is because I wanted an Edgit ! They don't make an Edgit for the Hondas because Honda won't give them a gear head to fit one to it. Go Honda. They are heavier but I got used to it quick, I think they are better overall.

shepoutside
08-24-2004, 04:23 AM
I've run both, but would take the stihl as my choice, as I've had problems starting the Honda, and the dealer never was able to fix the problem. That dealer has both, so traded it for a fs80 which I love.

ed2hess
08-24-2004, 08:37 PM
I think it will be difficult when the engine starts using oil to keep from letting it run dry. Go get a Echo 260 demo....

pjslawncare/landscap
08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
I recently bought a Honda unit and it seems to lack the power of my 260 Shins have. I do like how quiet it is though (almost dont need hearing protection)

carlsmower
08-25-2004, 08:53 PM
check out the stihl fs110 trimmer it kills the Honda

HondaFreak
08-25-2004, 11:25 PM
I have the Honda GX25 version. It's good, the only thing I don't like about it is the weight.

jtm45
10-11-2004, 02:48 AM
the 2 stroke you can hold in any position and not worry about starving the engine for oil as its in the gas as you know. and the honda mya be a bit heavy, even if only by a lb or 3 it makes a HUGH difference in a long day trimming and the lightest weight trimmer you can find is the best and your trimmer guy will appreciate it. I help a guy, has a stil...FS85, end of the day my arms are about to fall off, i have a tanaka,its a couple lbs lighter and i could probably go thru the night if i could see in the dark. :drinkup:

Turf Dancer
10-11-2004, 03:36 AM
The Hondas can be ran in any position and the weight is not a huge difference ! I have a Red Max, Stihl and 2 Hondas. I would rather pack the extra couple pounds of weight and not get an upset stomach from the 2 stroke exhaust ! The Hondas are great, I was thinking of trying out a Stihl FS110 but I thought I would get the Red Max and I now remember why I switched to the Hondas in the first place. Exhaust ! I don't get head aches from running the Honda trimmers.

Travis Followell
10-11-2004, 07:24 AM
I believe you mean FS110. The FS80 is a 2 cycle. We have a FS110 and we love it. It is the best trimmer I have ever used and it is very powerful. There the best trimmers available in my opinion.