PDA

View Full Version : You know your a landscaper if........

Liberty Lawncare
08-24-2004, 12:35 AM
You know your a landscaper if you watch baceball to see the stripes on the field:cool:

LAWNS AND MOWER
08-24-2004, 12:40 AM
So what you spend of pizza and beer while watching the game could be consider a business expense???:D

TClawn
08-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
You know your a landscaper if you watch baceball to see the stripes on the field:cool:

I'm guilty of that.:rolleyes:

HOOLIE
08-24-2004, 12:43 AM
We were on our honeymoon at DisneyWorld 10 years ago, walking to breakfast and I said "Look honey, that guys using a stick edger to trim the beds!" (Never seen anyone do that before up to that point).

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-24-2004, 12:50 AM
you have to peak over the fence to see if the other guy has better landscaping than you in his backyard... if he does, its war.

Phishook
08-24-2004, 12:51 AM
if you have a tan line across your knuckles.

IMPACT
08-24-2004, 01:03 AM
..if your wife refuses to let you vacuum the carpet because she hates the stripes..:D

fga
08-24-2004, 01:06 AM
you only have free time on rainy days...

if you can't not turn your head when you hear lawn equipment within 500 feet of you..

if you wind up wearing your work clothes all damn day.... then your wife says " you smell like grass...." and you say " that's the smell of money, dear", but she says "you still smell like grass, regardless" and the you go on LawnSite.......

vadeere
08-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Ive been guilty of the following:
Using a backpack blower to dry a pair of pants, when you have to wear them and they are still wet.

GrassBustersLawn
08-24-2004, 01:27 AM
You know your a landscaper if........

you think grass clippings are supposed to be attached to ALL YOUR SOCKS!

Mike

grassyfras
08-24-2004, 01:35 AM
You drive to school with yardwaste/mulch/power equipment in the back of your truck and or trailer

PLI1
08-24-2004, 01:39 AM
at the end of the day, even the flies leave you alone!!!

Fantasy Lawns
08-24-2004, 01:41 AM
If your have your boots off .... your still have "your socks on"

ie ...... "Farmer's Tan"

IMPACT
08-24-2004, 01:57 AM
...if you tell your golfing buddies what kind of greens mower made the stripes on the putting green, and they just look at you and shake their heads......

....if your yard is the last to get maintained each week...

..if you named the family pet after an equipment manufacturer...

..if you have read Dave Mellor's book more than three time....:D

Itsgottobegreen
08-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by IMPACT
..if your wife refuses to let you vacuum the carpet because she hates the stripes..:D

Your not the only one. But its my mom not my wife (still live at home)

If you take your mower to the drag stripe to compete in the wheelie pulling contest. (impact I know you know what I am talking about when it comes to those antiflip wheels on the stander)

You can tell what make, model, engine, etc. of any mower with only a 4 second look. If your really good a year and amount of time on the clock.

You can tell who cut any lawn in your town by the width and style of the stripes.

l1011100
08-24-2004, 05:46 AM
If you pass a terrible looking lawn and you just want to fix it!!!!

Littleriver1
08-24-2004, 07:14 AM
When Lawnsite.com is your home page on 3 computers.

HydroBC
08-24-2004, 07:29 AM
You have tan lines around your ankles!!!

walker-talker
08-24-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by l1011100
If you pass a terrible looking lawn and you just want to fix it!!!! Guilty of that one...constantly.

Gravely_Man
08-24-2004, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IMPACT
[B]...

That one is too funny. My wife was about to die laughing at that one.

Gravely_Man

CJ GreenScapes
08-24-2004, 10:34 AM
If you've ever watched Nascar and cringed when the winner did a donut in the grass... you might be a landscaper!

If the word "scrub" and "lowballer" is part of your everyday vocabulary... you might be a landscaper!

If you know what PITA and LCO stand for... you might be a landscaper!

If you think the Stihl/Echo debate is worth fighting over... you might be a landscaper!

and finally - if you're reading this and not working... you just might be a landscaper!

hnter
08-24-2004, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by IMPACT
[B]...

i hope it isn't scag...that could give the family pet a complex...

MMLawn
08-24-2004, 11:57 AM
...if ALL your customers lawns look better than your own

...if you pay another LCO to do your lawn because you don't have time...or want to either at the end of the day

Itsgottobegreen
08-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Like the always say "the cobber's kids always have the worse looking shoes, if they even have them at all. "

My lawn never gets cut and the mulch for the beds end up sitting in the driveway for 2 months. Maybe I should hire a scrub to cut my lawn. LOL

jug head
08-24-2004, 12:16 PM
you have a tan line on your "forearm" from the sweat band to keep the trimmer burns down. (that one is hard to explain to folks)

zpoore
08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
if you take off your white shirt and still looks like your wearing one

Aproct
08-24-2004, 12:28 PM
If you take your socks off and your wife asks you, "weren't they white this morning?"

DLCS
08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by HOOLIE
We were on our honeymoon at DisneyWorld 10 years ago, walking to breakfast and I said "Look honey, that guys using a stick edger to trim the beds!" (Never seen anyone do that before up to that point).

LMAO

We went to Orlando on vacation a couple of years ago. The resort we were staying at was having landscaping/ maintenance done at the hotel. Well, I would get up early so I could watch the landscapers work before we would go eat breakfast and go to Disney. Yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts.:p

meathead1134
08-24-2004, 01:27 PM
ALso when I turn brand new white socks to green or when I walk in the door and my future wife won't go near me until I take a shower. I didn't think I stunk be she thought other wise !!!! oh well what are you going to do. When the humidity is near 100 percent and it's 90 degrees out I think I smell like roses every time I come home from mowing.

MMLawn
08-24-2004, 03:35 PM
If you have done them so many times before that you can stick edge your clients lawns 1 handed while talking and looking the other way

Ursushorribilus
08-24-2004, 03:59 PM
a little different version: You know you WANT to be a landscaper if...

* you spend 3 hours a day for the last 6 months on lawnsite.com

* the vehicle you are preparing to buy, the one you will be taking your girlfriend on dates in, has over 500 ft/lbs. of torque and a dump body (but does have a crew cab for the dogs:))

* everyone that you see running a commercial mower that you can corner, you ask questions about the business

* you tell friend and family not to expect Christmas presents this year, all your money is going into lawncare equipment

* you have a streak of independence of mile long, can't stand the idea of working for someone else

* everyone thinks you're nuts!

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 04:02 PM
you know your a landscaper if you only look at the lawns on a Sunday drive, nothing else

l1011100
08-24-2004, 04:07 PM
If your constantly thinking of ways to justify new equipment to your wife.... I hope she likes the new pole hedge trimmer I got her for her birthday.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 04:09 PM
If your constantly thinking of ways to justify new equipment to your wife.... I hope she likes the new pole hedge trimmer I got her for her birthday.

that is so true.

Or buying equipment, and not telling her until a year later

"When did you get that?" my wife asks.

"Oh, long time ago, got it real cheap (tongue in cheek)," I say.

dkeisala
08-24-2004, 05:39 PM
You know your a landscaper when you'll spend more money on a lawnmower than many people do on a car!

Turf Dancer
08-24-2004, 06:02 PM
You know your a landscaper if your equipment is worth more than your house and your wife!

slikrick
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM

i hate that!

how about....... when you cant find a nice pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear when your not working!

dkeisala
08-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by slikrick
i hate that!

how about....... when you cant find a nice pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear when your not working! Now this I TOTALLY agree with. I don't own a pair of jeans without at least one grass stain on them.

Eric 1
08-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Itsgottobegreen

You can tell what make, model, engine, etc. of any mower with only a 4 second look. If your really good a year and amount of time on the clock.

You can tell who cut any lawn in your town by the width and style of the stripes.

Guilty of that.

Eric 1
08-24-2004, 10:56 PM

And that................

We pass a lawn that looks bad and i'm like"man that looks so bad!"
Friends just laugh and roll their eyes saying, your the only one who ever notices.

In fact, i think i do just about all the stuff posted here:D .

especially of spending more on a mower that a car, that was crazy........:dizzy: But its so much fun.:cool:

EastProLawn
08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by zpoore
if you take off your white shirt and still looks like your wearing one Yep. that's me...LOL:D

fixer67
08-24-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by vadeere
Ive been guilty of the following:
Using a backpack blower to dry a pair of pants, when you have to wear them and they are still wet.

I will have to remember that the next time the clothes dryer is acting up.

smlavin
08-25-2004, 12:10 AM
You might be a landscaper if . . . you spend more time on lawnsite than watch the Olympics!;)

IMPACT
08-25-2004, 01:34 AM
If you have more cuts, scars and scratches on your shins than a shark bite victim, you just might be a landscaper....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

....if you can't go on vacation without talking to the gardeners at the resorts and amusement parks about their landscaping and IPM practices..( I'm definitely guilty of this one at Dollywood, every fall!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

....if you go to play golf just to smell freshly cut grass that you didn't have to mow.....

Itsgottobegreen
08-25-2004, 02:19 AM
....if you can't go on vacation without talking to the gardeners at the resorts and amusement parks about their landscaping and IPM practices

Yep thats me. I had my best customer send me to his weekend house in deep creek, MD to take a forced vacation. He claimed I was working to hard and needed a break. Well anyways I spend two hours talking to the guy that cuts the place. Then another hour with another guy at the gas station thats is around the corner. I will talk to any LCO in any place I go, everyone has ideas to share.

Same goes for any fire house. I got to stop at them, to check out their toys. Hear some stories, share some of my own.

TROTTMAN
08-25-2004, 03:24 AM
Hahaha, I always notice the stripes on the field. I have seen some really detailed patterns too, no idea how they did those. They looked too detailed to have been done with a rake too.

Coffeecraver
08-25-2004, 06:20 AM
You know your a Landscaper when you design,and install
Landscape plans.

A phone,calculator,wheelbarrow,drafting table
plant books,wholesale guides,are your main tools.

On Saturdays you pay your son to cut the grass.

IMPACT
08-25-2004, 05:49 PM
..when you give the new equipment catalogs priority over Playboy..

..when you can't go out with your wife's friends without everyone asking you questions about their yards....

...when it's 95 degrees outside, you're sweating like a pig, covered in grass clippings, and can do nothing but smile..:D

Lazer_Z
08-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Is anyone guilty of cleaning out the truck with the BP? Or for that matter drying off your truck or the wifes car after a fresh wash?

How about giving yourself a once over with the blower before going home for the day?

Great thread guys :)

Gtotoy
08-25-2004, 07:35 PM
~~You know your a landscaper when your hair is bushing out like an afro, from it not raining for two weeks. Can't get it cut without a rainday.~~

Heron Cove PM
08-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Blowing your nose after a mulch job only to find that missing yard of mulch.

Blowing your nose after laef clean up all day long only to find 4 yards of mulch.

promower
08-25-2004, 11:37 PM
When you finally look in the shower drain to see whats plugging it up and you pull out as fist full of grass.

Davis Lawn
08-25-2004, 11:57 PM
"How about giving yourself a once over with the blower before going home for the day?"

Thats Great! I do this everytime before I get in my truck.

SpudsM15
08-26-2004, 12:18 AM
When inside a house you hear equipment running, stop whatever your doing, and then you can tell what brand of equipment it is running, engine size.....
My g/f thinks I'm so wierd "shhh shhh you here that??" no " dude thats a redmax eb-7001!!!" what I don't even hear anything "omg i can hear two of them running"
!!!
If you can tell if its a kawi or a kohl mower just by sound....

EJK2352
08-26-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Davis Lawn
"How about giving yourself a once over with the blower before going home for the day?"

Thats Great! I do this everytime before I get in my truck.

Me too!!! I will leave my EB7000 running, hang it on the rack and do a once over before driving off. My wife and son have allergies, so I try to keep the grass out of the truck cab.

Itsgottobegreen
08-26-2004, 02:40 AM
..when you give the new equipment catalogs priority over Playboy..D
Originally posted by SpudsM15
If you can tell if its a kawi or a kohl mower just by sound....

Impact - It has happened!

spuds - And what model of engine and horsepower by sound.

You can smell a scab coming down the street. Because of their cheap homeowner equipment blowing smoke from being worked to hard.

Ever late for a date, because you were on lawnsite.com. (check one that applies)
( )More than once.
( )More than 5 times.
(x)don't ask

Want to buy girlfriend's parents a new mower, because the lawn looks so bad, but will not let you cut it.

Got chewed out for aerating your girlfriend lawn, because you didn't ask. (I was just trying to be nice, it needed it)

Cut a heart into your girlfriend's lawn while she was with her parents on vacation. (only time her lawn ever looked nice, 3/4 acre, took 3 hours)

Had your girlfriend leave, because you spent to much time at work. (dame that ring was expensive, I could have bought a trenchmaster bed shaper instead, at least I would still have that around)

Itsgottobegreen
08-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Ever ask a really hot 20 year old chick sun bathing next to a pool to move because she was blocking you view of a tree you were planting next to the pool to make sure from a distance it is straight and equal distance apart from the other four. (customer chewed me out, staying I should be looking at the hot chick(his daughter) not the tree) (I guess he wants her to get out of the house.) That dedication to your work.

PMLAWN
08-26-2004, 03:31 AM
Herron Cove-- The nose thing-- YES, LOL.

If you are on Lawnsite at 2:25 AM instead of in bed!

Blessed 1
08-26-2004, 10:08 AM
You buy your wife a Trimmer for your anniversary!

(Just happened to be in Home Depo and ran across a Echo return for $129.......couldn't resist.......then said.....Happy Anniversary Baby!:rolleyes: )

l1011100
08-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Your watching Blue Collar TV and you notice the Turf Ranger in the still shots

Greenservice
08-26-2004, 09:40 PM
You walk into a place for lunch and realize that you still have your ear protectors around your neck.

.....and you leave a pile of grass clippings under the table when you leave.

chuckers
08-26-2004, 10:51 PM
oh my ear protectors i could care less about them... but i am guilty of sitting on teh mowers and eating lunch...

mbricker
08-27-2004, 01:40 AM
or you drop your jeans to take a dump, then when yer done, you notice all the grass clippings that fell out of your shirt and shorts on the floor and toilet rim

IMPACT
08-27-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by mbricker
or you drop your jeans to take a dump, then when yer done, you notice all the grass clippings that fell out of your shirt and shorts on the floor and toilet rim

ROTFLMAO!!!:D

Itsgottobegreen
08-27-2004, 01:52 AM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

IMPACT
08-27-2004, 03:03 AM
...if your boots and wallet are always green:D

Liberty Lawncare
08-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by mbricker
Yes that is a good one. Its a big mess in the fall during leaf cleanup.

lawnmowingboys
08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
When you finally cut your lawn...mowing at top speed....all your neighbors watching you go on the ZTR with your legs crossed....a bottle of beer wrapped in a towel (to fit in the beverage holder and to keep it cold) and finally the puzzled look on your neighbors faces when you unscrew the cap each time you take a drink.

You are a landscaper when you can taste grass in your beer!

Doc_77
08-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Ursushorribilus...
a little different version: You know you WANT to be a landscaper if...

* you spend 3 hours a day for the last 6 months on lawnsite.com

* the vehicle you are preparing to buy, the one you will be taking your girlfriend on dates in, has over 500 ft/lbs. of torque and a dump body (but does have a crew cab for the dogs)

* everyone that you see running a commercial mower that you can corner, you ask questions about the business

* you tell friend and family not to expect Christmas presents this year, all your money is going into lawncare equipment

* you have a streak of independence of mile long, can't stand the idea of working for someone else

* everyone thinks you're nuts!

lol Ursushorribilus, that is so fitting for me it's scary !

Eric 1
08-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by lawnmowingboys
When you finally cut your lawn...mowing at top speed....all your neighbors watching you go on the ZTR with your legs crossed....a bottle of beer wrapped in a towel (to fit in the beverage holder and to keep it cold) and finally the puzzled look on your neighbors faces when you unscrew the cap each time you take a drink.

You are a landscaper when you can taste grass in your beer!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats great.

Mark Lawncare
08-28-2004, 10:51 PM
When a lawn mower is the most expensive thing you own.

l1011100
08-28-2004, 11:37 PM
When your friends find out how much you spent on your mower and say "thats more than I paid for my car, and it holds more gas too"

qualitylandscaping
08-29-2004, 12:05 AM
You know your a landscaper when:

1) You have a chance to get laid, but you have to get to bed cause you have to get up at 5am the next day.

2) You walk in your front door, don't take your boots off, and leave mud tracks from one end of the house to the bathroom, because you haven't seen a toilet in 10 hours.

3) Your new asphalt driveway looks like a lawn.

4) You wake up your neighbors at 5:30am when loading mowers.

5) You eat, hang out on lawnsite, and mow.. Completley forgetting about sleep..

6) You are late for a meeting or date, because you got tied up in making your stripes look perfect.

7) You and your girlfriend both love the smell of grass. She works for me too..

8) Everytime you see a friend you are driving a newer truck..

9) The two words that best discribe you are flithy and rich.

10) You have the worlds biggest farmer tan.

bladeheart
08-29-2004, 02:16 AM
while working you fill up your clean glass with water and after one drink you look into the glass and it is full of grass and dust that has fallen off your face, hair etc... and you continue to drink the rest of the glass anyway.

JBird
08-29-2004, 04:56 AM
......when all the books in you bathroom are Turf, Pro, equipment sales brochures and service manuals.....

.....when your only tan between the bottom of the shirt sleeve and the second knuckle......

......have a boot tan (white from the top of the boot to the toe)...

..... run off the road at least a dozen times a day looking at the equipment on the guys trailer that just passed you going the other way to see if his is bigger, better and newer....

....stop everything when you see or hear someone else and just have to look....

...Find grass in your underwear everyday.....

....find any excuse to buy the next best thing.....

.....and yes watch t.v. and don't notice the woman in the commercial but name the brand of mowers and sit in awe of those awesome stripes....

....and finally when your wife says, Look, I've heard enough about the new blade sharpener, you need to get a life! and you feel like someone just punched you in the stomach. As, you walk away you think to yourself, But....that is my life! God I'm fortunate

Itsgottobegreen
08-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by qualitylandscaping
You know your a landscaper when:

10) You have the worlds biggest farmer tan.

Originally posted by JBird
......when all the books in you bathroom are Turf, Pro, equipment sales brochures and service manuals.....

..... run off the road at least a dozen times a day looking at the equipment on the guys trailer that just passed you going the other way to see if his is bigger, better and newer....

........find any excuse to buy the next best thing.....

....and finally when your wife says, Look, I've heard enough about the new blade sharpener, you need to get a life! and you feel like someone just punched you in the stomach. As, you walk away you think to yourself, But....that is my life! God I'm fortunate

So true, so true. Landscaping is my life.

Itsgottobegreen
09-07-2004, 10:59 PM
How To Sell Lawnmowers

A young man just got a new job running the register at a store. The old-timer said he would teach him how to sell things. "Watch how I do it" he said to the new hire as a man came up to the counter.

The customer put a bag of grass seed on the counter. The old-timer then said to him "You know when you plant those seeds and the grass starts growing you're going to need a new lawnmower to cut that grass." "You know," said the man, "I do need to get a new mower, sure I'll take one."

After the customer left, the new kid said, "I think I see what you mean. Let me handle this next one." A man then stepped up to the counter and set down a box of tampons. The young salesman then said, "You know you should get you a new lawnmower to go with that."

The man then asked the young salesman, "What are you talking about?" "Well," he said, "It looks like your weekend's shot so you might as well cut the grass!"

coastallandscapesolutions
09-07-2004, 11:03 PM
When in a heavy rain you use the rooster tails off the rear tires of your ZTR to cut a straight line.

Ability
09-08-2004, 02:41 AM
And the number one answer of You Know You're A Landscaper When...you over hear someone say in a nearby conversation the word chopper and you immediately think Dixie Chopper only to find out they were actually talking about West Coast Copper motorcycles

Green Quality
09-08-2004, 08:27 AM
How about when you run out of clean white sock,and go for the dress socks. or :realmad: when in a jam, the same sock again, :realmad:

jgc8fan
09-08-2004, 10:34 AM
...When you are outside at 2 AM trying to fit more vinyl lettering on your truck. (that was me last night... I know I can get some more services listed on there)

...When you blow your nose and it's black.

... You refer to your ear protectors as "my tie"

... Everytime you open the truck to get out you have to pick up all the Gatorade/Powerade bottles that fell out when the door opened.

... You get banned from taking your truck to coin car washes. :angel:

Eric 1
09-08-2004, 01:08 PM
And the number one answer of You Know You're A Landscaper When...you over hear someone say in a nearby conversation the word chopper and you immediately think Dixie Chopper only to find out they were actually talking about West Coast Copper motorcycles

Thats me........................

Itsgottobegreen
09-08-2004, 03:51 PM

... Everytime you open the truck to get out you have to pick up all the Gatorade/Powerade bottles that fell out when the door opened:angel:

For me its golf balls. A bunch of my accounts are on a golf course. So I got to pick up every stray ball. So when the bucket on the floor of the truck gets full. Then the rest of the golf balls go on the floor. Open the door and 40 balls come out.

RedWingsDet
09-08-2004, 05:04 PM
you know your a landscaper if you go to school with grass/materials/equipment in the bed of the truck

(that changed this week because i got a truck finally just for the business)

you know your a landscaper if you dont have one pair of clean socks

you know your a landscaper if you have several holes in pants and shorts from holding the blower by your leg to blow yourself off (hard to explain lol)

you know your a landscaper if your dryer/clean clothes smell like an evergreen

you know your a landscaper if you had to put a privicy fence up because the neighbors didnt have a decent looking backyard!