PDA

View Full Version : Remote Control Lawn Mower

Wreak
08-23-2004, 11:42 PM
Hmmm, it would be pretty cool if there was a mower that would learn your mowing habits and how to mow different properties to where you could stick it in the yard, turn it on, and go eat lunch. LOL Now we need to figure out how to invent an "auto weed eater"

Remote Control Lawn Mower (http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/auction/86993086?aucview=0x23)

HOOLIE
08-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Actually, the neighbor of one of my customers has a robotic mower. It cuts worse than crap. And, he pays me $20 to trim and edge his lawn every 2 weeks. Picture an oversized George Foreman Grill on wheels cutting grass.

Wreak
08-24-2004, 12:03 AM
You have to lay wire under the ground around the permiter and let it go. I guess it's like one of those toy cars that when it hits a wall it will back up and go another direction.

Robotic Mower (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71272&item=4319406187&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

dkeisala
08-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I just read an article about an ongoing university challange where teams take commercial mowers, hook the steering up to actuators and add GPS units to them. They are rated on quality, speed and efficiency of the cut. Their results so far are lacking but it's an ongoing yearly challenge. Who knows how long before you simply drop a mower, program in GPS coordinates and let her rip!

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:27 PM
I will take the "auto trimmer" any day

burnandreturn
08-25-2004, 01:42 AM
We played with a GPS mower and it was a great challenge. I would go out and mow with my laptop connected to the
GPS system and we used software to have the mower retrace the places it had been before. We used metered air cylingers to run the controls. All I can say is, if a bomb hits within six feet it's gonna do it's job. When the mower was off by six feet it was a disaster. Imagine your Mercedes parked in the driveway and the mower thinks it's on the grass but is bearing down on the car. It wasn't pretty. Out in the open, no obstacles, it's fun. A better deal is a wireless remote controlled mower with a dog on the seat mowing the bar ditch. When the mower get's to the end and turns and comes for another pass the cars stop and want to buy the dog. A wireless video camera is a must to cut well. It is actually more stressful to mow remotely but it is a great crowd pleaser to be in the hammock and mow the lawn.

Wreak
08-25-2004, 02:18 AM
I just hate to see the day when this type of thing is perfected. Only the rich will be able to use this type of thing or big companies.

Or they can call an LCO and they can drive by the place, drop off the mower and go to the next call. Then drive back by all the places and pick up all of the mowers. LOLOL

dcondon
08-25-2004, 05:04 PM
If we had one and walked away there would be golf balls flying everywhere.