PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Grubs

pben
08-24-2004, 04:50 AM
I have trouble killing large lawn grubs. Dylox doesn't work on them. They are easy to kill when they are small but what can be done to kill them now that they are big.
Please help!!

gscone
08-24-2004, 09:42 AM
How large is large? Are u using the correct amount of Dylox? Post a pic.

GC

pben
08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Large is about 1 inch long. I tryed Dylox granules at 25gr / square meter. (Excuse my metrics) but that is the advised rate.
I have digital photoes of them. How do I post them?

gscone
08-24-2004, 10:40 AM
In your post,, towards the bottom, click browse and point to the file on your local PC.

GC

Runner
08-24-2004, 04:58 PM
It is going to take heavier dosage, and longer to kill adults than small ones.

James Cormier
08-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by pben
I have trouble killing large lawn grubs. Dylox doesn't work on them. They are easy to kill when they are small but what can be done to kill them now that they are big.
Please help!!

I dont know turf where you are but maybe this will help.

Here in Mass (USA) grubs mostly feed in the late summer- fall months, thats when there young and small, they do much more damage at this stage than any other. I dont know of any species that dylox dosnt work well on.

In spring when they move up to emerge there big, and usually dont feed, controls at this time is usually not needed because there not feeding.

Spring and early summer we apply merit to prevent the grubs from feeding come fall, and dylox in fall when they are there feeding.

Some material in the past that worked, maybe you can get some over there.

Oftanal, triumph, sevin, or Mach 2

These Ive used in the past with OK results, but by far merit seems to be the best.

cemars
08-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by pben
Please help!!

Dylox requires at least a 1/2 inch of water to work its way through the thatch. If it's getting that you may need to up your rate a bit. I have never used a more effective product for active grubs other than possibly Diazinon, which I don't think you can buy any longer.

tremor
08-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Dylox also has a shelf life of about 12 months after which time it degrades pretty quickly. Some bags are date coded.

If the material is over a year old, I'd be concerned.

lawnboyCO
08-24-2004, 10:02 PM
actually dylox does work on grubs but you have to do like 3 apps within a 2 week time period to get results, this is probably not recommended but it is the only way I have found to get rid of the nasty little things. Billbugs too.

philk17088
08-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by lawnboyCO
actually dylox does work on grubs but you have to do like 3 apps within a 2 week time period to get results, this is probably not recommended but it is the only way I have found to get rid of the nasty little things. Billbugs too.

Is that consistent with the label? If not, its against the law.
You aren't giving the material time to even work. The grubs will still be present and alive but not feeding. Look for them to start turning black.

Also, do you charge your customer for 3-apps in 2 weeks? How much do you charge them?

lawnboyCO
08-24-2004, 11:18 PM
The label says do not apply more than 1 application in a 7 day period, so you can do an app on day 1, day 8, and day 15. You have to go after those nasty suckers hard to get rid of them because they are HEARTY and you want to end there 3 year life cycle now. As far as charging the customer, we will charge them for control of the insect, and do whatever it takes to do that. (usually we will charge them for the first app and hope that is all it needs, but with serious infestations 3 apps may be necessary.)

TREEGODFATHER
08-24-2004, 11:58 PM
I've never used the products mentioned, so excuse my ignorance.

How does Milky Spore granular stack up in comparison?

philk17088
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Dylox at cost is $4.30 per M, so 3 treatments on a 10m lawn is going to cost you $129 in material alone. Are you charging enough?
I'm not trying to put you on the spot, but be careful, your costs could eat up all you profit and then some if the problem is that bad.

I charge $12 per M for a mild grub problem. If they are over-running the lawn I'll charge $20 per M and do a follow up treatment.

Make sure you are getting paid for your service, remember, the grub problem was of no fault of yours. If people don't want to pay for it, show them the quote for restoration of the lawn.

GroundKprs
08-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Dylox is the only product to penetrate readily to the grub zone in the soil. But because it does move so well, it is necessary to be aware of the irrigation. Too much irrigation can wash your Dylox app right past the grubs. The ½" mentioned above is great if the soil is already damp - may take more if soil is dried out.

Only time I ever had to re-apply a Dylox treatment was when the client decided that she would enhance my instruction to water 30-40 minutes right after application. She watered 2 hours a day for 4 days - not a single grub was even stressed a week later. Second app, proper irrigation, and damages stopped.

tremor
08-25-2004, 10:03 PM
$43 a bag for Dylox????

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-26-2004, 09:10 AM
did you water it in long enough??

pben
08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Maybe I watered it in for too long and maybe the Dylox was old.
How much water should it get after application?

tremor
08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
Not more than 1/2 inch unless there is a lot of thatch. Dylox is VERY soluble & a little water goes a long way.

philk17088
08-26-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by tremor
$43 a bag for Dylox????

I was wrong, my cost is $2.85 per m.

DUSTYCEDAR
08-26-2004, 09:45 PM
How does Milky Spore granular stack up in comparison?
i used it 10 years ago and it seemed to work i have not used it lateley
has it worked for u

TREEGODFATHER
08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
I use it exclusively, and I have had good results; I just didn't have the experience with other products to make the comparison... which is why I asked.

Thanks Dusty!

Talstar
09-01-2004, 11:53 PM
The acidic value of rain water will almost double the performance of Dylox. Did anyone know that???

pben
09-02-2004, 12:45 AM
How does acidic rain help Dylox? Would acidifying the application also help?