PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Renovator

HBFOXJr
08-24-2004, 07:17 AM
I'm looking for feedback on the Lesco Renovators vs other seeders you have used such as BlueBird, Ryan Mataway, etc.

Easy of handling, reliability, seeding results, durability, fatigue when using all day etc.

Thanks

olderthandirt
08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Lesco 20 renovator, nothing but good things to say about it. Biggest draw back might be fatigue if I used it all day but it covers alot of ground per hr so never had that experience. Never had any problems and the results I get are fantastic. I've owned and used it for 5 yrs now.

Mac

James Cormier
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Ryan, top shelf slice seeder, if you plan of doing alot of slice seeding and want the best results thats the machine, however it costs over 5k ( i think)

lesco renovator, I own one, it works very good, I am very pleased with the results,and after 6 years of heavy use I had to replace a lot of items on it. But for the money I think its a good investment.

When Im ready to replace it what would i buy.......ryan no doubt

kickin sum grass
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
the lesco kicks the blue birds butts. It is easier to use as it is self propelled, and the results increase as well. You will not be sorry if you get one. The ryan looks topheavy if I am thinking of the same thing although it looks like it would do a kickin job. The lesco goes across hills great.

cemars
08-24-2004, 05:53 PM
The lesco renovator is one of a kind. I worked at Lesco for over 5 years and this is the one piece of equipment Lesco made that I truely believed in. There is nothing else in it's price range that can compare. I only use mine on 15-20 jobs a year, but other than having to replace (or flip) the blades, change the oil and lubing the chain, it's never been worked on

tremor
08-24-2004, 06:56 PM
My opinion isn't worth dung on this thread but I'm not bashful so I'll toss it out anyway...............

It has reverse. When properly maintained, the Renovator doesnt run down hills. The seed hopper doesn't clog unless the user sweeps the road debris & tosses it back into the hopper hence rocks might be a problem. The big belt actually lasts an entire season now & most people can change it with simple hand tools in under 10 minutes.

But....

Unless you own the right air ratchet...changing those blades is a bother.

HBFOXJr
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks Guys.

I own a Ryan and have for years. They work but are a dog to handle and actually the drive tires can slip a lot leading to increased seed usage (hopper is poweer driven) and lower production.

BlueBird and the like are lighter and easier to handle but must be handled and since they are lighter so they can be handled leave something to be desired.

Also had a Jacobsen years ago just like the Ryan. Blades are too far apart on these machines and i think maintenance costs and time are high for the useage they get.

To me, the Lesco Renovator looks to be the best crossover machine but I wasn't sure. I don't think there are any others like it.

kickin sum grass
08-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I saw an orange one once. I think it said MTD on it. It was the exact same thing as the lesco now and as MTD makes lesco stuff.

grassguy_
08-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I've used the Olathe, Ryan, and Lesco slitseeders and have to say the Lesco is the best for manueverablilty and ease of operation. I've had my Lesco Reno for about 14 years now and the Honda engine still runs like it did the first day I bought it.

James Cormier
08-25-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by kickin sum grass
I saw an orange one once. I think it said MTD on it. It was the exact same thing as the lesco now and as MTD makes lesco stuff.

Thats the one I own, Few years back I was mad at lesco ( sorry tremor :p ) I went to a ryan dealer to buy the mataway, and they had these MTD machines. They are the same as the renovator just with red paint.

Its funny everytime I go to a lesco store with it they always ask me why I painted my machine.

I think they only did this for 1-2 years

My comments about the parts that needed replaceing, it was after 6 years of hard use, so yes they stand up well. And Yes it is a major pain in the a$# to change those blades.

HazellLawnCare
08-25-2004, 02:17 PM
I have also been looking at the Renovator. My question is once you run over and dethatch it and slice the seed in, how do you pick up the thatch? Can you use a mower with a vac since the seed is sliced in instead of sitting on top of the soil?

Premo Services
08-26-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by HazellLawnCare
I have also been looking at the Renovator. My question is once you run over and dethatch it and slice the seed in, how do you pick up the thatch? Can you use a mower with a vac since the seed is sliced in instead of sitting on top of the soil?

When I do this, I run the machine over the area to get the thatch up and then use the lazer with ultra vac, then do the area with the hopper open. I thought about doing it the way you stated, but did it twice. I think it made the seed to soil contact much better also. It didn't take that much more time either.

tremor
08-26-2004, 08:26 AM
James,

Regarding those blade changes. Back when I ran my last Service Center I bought an outrageously expensive open backed ratchet set from Mac. This is the sort of socket/ratched combo that can turn down over a threaded rod indefinately. Well after some months of waiting, the Mac dealer finally showed up with the equally over-priced air ratchet.

The power head & socket together could just make it into the reel to catch the first capscrews as long as we loosened the large nut that keeps the reel together. But there was no way they'd get it onto the inner capscrew without dropping the reel first. My head mechanic felt that if we dropped the reel out of the machine, there was little reason to bother with the ratchet & we might as well just disassemble the reel & use convential impact sockets. The fancy ratchet collected dust.

One day we had made a promise we shouldn't have. I decided we didn't have enough time to prep a rental unit to meet a customer's expectations. I checked to see that only one half of the blade was worn on our last available machine, but no. Both ends were worn beyond use so they couldn't be flipped so now required removal of both bolts.

In fustration I took the $279 ratchet (with socket installed) to the bench grinder & made it fit. Low & behold the fool thing still worked. I handed it to the assistant mechanic & told him he had 20 minutes to finish the job. He was done in about 15 minutes!

The last time I saw that ratchet about 3 years ago it was going on 5 years old & still working.

I still have the manual version of the complete socket set that I bought for myself. Let me know if anyone wants a stock # & I'll look it up.

olderthandirt
08-26-2004, 10:04 AM
Ok, I'll tell you guys the secret of changing the blades but don't be sharing it. lol I hired a retired mechanic that has every tool imaginable and give him $15 to change them for me HaHa. Only had to use him once though.

Mac

HazellLawnCare
08-27-2004, 12:32 PM
So when you run the machine over the second time to do your seeding does it kick up more thatch or does it get all of it loose the first time? Right now I use a dethatcher, run over it with my toro z and bagger with a jrco tine dethatcher on the front just for a little extra help picking it up then run over it another time with a slit seeder. My question is when I run over it the second time with the renovator will it bring more loose thatch to the top to look bad?

olderthandirt
08-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Yes it will bring up a little more, and tear out more good grass also.

TOTALLAWN OF KY
08-29-2004, 08:12 AM
I have a salsco slice seeder .I have had it for 4 years .
it is the best slicer out there , but its very pricey. I usually have one of my helpers get up the Thatch with a rake as needed.
anyway its very durable and part are easy to get .its a family business i think they out do lesco 4 to 1

walker-talker
08-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by HBFOXJr
Also had a Jacobsen years ago just like the Ryan. Blades are too far apart on these machines and i think maintenance costs and time are high for the useage they get. The Ryan blades are spaced 2" apart and the Jacobsen are spaced 1.5" apart. Is this the Jacobsen that you have.....the Aero King 1321?

HazellLawnCare
08-29-2004, 11:03 PM
So the Renovator isn't going to save me any work over running over a yard with my Bluebird lawn comber and picking it up with the z and then going back over and slicing seed in with another machine?

James Cormier
08-31-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey Guys, IVe been on vaca for a week, sorry for the delay on my posts.

As far as thatch, I leave it, theres alot of seeds mixed in there and I dont recommend a vac after you slice seed with the renovator.

Heres what I do,
I carry a old toro 44 proline with me when I slice seed, after I slice seed I just run the mower over the lawn with the bagger off, this breaks up the large clumps of thatch, Then I tell the customer to mow 4 days after with their mower and dont bag again, then finally 1.5 weeks after ( and good watering ) I instruct the customer to mow and bag.

I charge extra for the 44 work, some customers opt to do this first step on there own.

Tremor, Send along the part number for that rachat, and how much did it cost.

Thanks
Jim

gml9
09-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Do you aerate prior to slice seeding....lawn I'm planning to do is very compact, so I planned on doing that after I mow the lawn short and kill the existing lawn. How much would you charge for a 40 x 50 front lawn that is level and very easy to get to.

LawnSolutionsCP
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Lesco 20 renovator, nothing but good things to say about it. Biggest draw back might be fatigue if I used it all day but it covers alot of ground per hr so never had that experience. Never had any problems and the results I get are fantastic. I've owned and used it for 5 yrs now.

Mac

Send me an email or give me a call.

Thanks

David

DUSTYCEDAR
05-21-2007, 10:20 AM
the lesco renovator is a great time saver and the lawns look great when done

upidstay
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Lesco is the best for the money. Ryan's is a bear to run. The Salsco does do a great job. We had an old one that was a bear to run, but did a beautiful job. Sal makes nice stuff.

As far as the thatch goes, I lightly rake off the heavy stuff (clumps) and leave the rest.

Used a ratcheting box wrench we bought at Sears to change blades. Made the job a little more bearable. Didn't cost much. But come on, who needs skin on their knuckles anyway??

CHARLES CUE
05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
After renting a so called self propelled over seeder last year[a blue bird if i recall wright] almost killed me. I looked at lesco and try ed it out and looked at the lawn solutions . We bought the lawn solutions seeder have done several jobs and are very happy and at a lot better price than lseco would give me. Just what ever you do make sure it will pull itself by its wheels not by the cutting blades.

good luck
charles cue