PDA

View Full Version : dixie chopper advice

cntryboymc
08-24-2004, 09:52 AM
i want to add another ztr to my fleet and im not overly thrilled with the jd that i have.this summer i have demoed a scag and a ferris neither i thought were that impressive.ive talked to some guys in my area that have dixies and they claim they are extremely fast,cut very well,and are easy to maintain.i have a demo set up for next week.im considering a dc xt3200-60 with a stripe kit and xblades.any thoughts from dixie owners?i was also told by a dixie owner to have the baffles cut out of the deck to prevent clumping in wet grass.anyone had this done?

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Buy the Dixie it's the best move you'll make, especially time wise. I don't even have a bagger for my 60 inch...it's so fast if I need to cut twice, I kick the deck up and go over the clippings, comes out perfect and I'm still done faster than the guy bagging and dumping, not to mention the clippings are great for the soil being smaller. Speak to John Solazzo in Liverpool...CNY Power Equipment, 315.652.5734....Tell him Jason from Albany referred you to him...I picked up the new 27HP Generac, 60 inch Dixie, retailed at $8,995 at the fair this spring at a show for $7,499...and they drove the mower to me over 2 hrs away. That's service

Metro Lawn
08-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Ever consider the Hustler Super Z? It's as fast or faster than the Dixie line, built better, and easier on the operator to use. I bought a Dixie several years ago. It didn't make it through a single season without major breakdowns and shop time. I ran Exmarks until the Super Z came out and now that is all we buy. Dixie had it's day, but due to the lack of upgrading... it has imo fallen behind the times.

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 02:05 PM
What can be easier on the operator besides flying across the lawn and making it look beautiful while being fast and making money? Does your mower offer back rubs and grilled cheese sandwiches? that's the only way it would be "easier"...so several years ago you had a bad experience, and they never upgraded since? weird, haha. Hustler makes a good product I'm sure, but come on man

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey Chevy,

How come you bash every product out there (even if you haven't used it), except Dixie, but no one else is allowed to provide any constructive critisism against a product you are partial to?

Actually, don't bother responding. I'm sure it won't be worth the read.

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 02:15 PM
I learned my lesson, make sure you check it out and use it then talk about it. Notice I said "I'm sure they make a good product" because I haven't used it. He was just a little mistaken there...I'm raising the bar buddy, hope you can catch up

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by chevyman1
I learned my lesson

I'm raising the bar buddy, hope you can catch up

yeah, you've got all the answers, huh?

I don't think I could ever keep up to your pace, so I won't even bother trying.

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 02:34 PM
This is a professional forum, let's both act that way. If you have a problem with me, PM me others don't need this. I gave that guy in Auburn a great dealer for his question. We all use good equipment, enough already with your pessimism

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:40 PM
I'll quit the "pessimism" when you stop the hypocrisy.

You've arguably littered this forum with more unprofessionalism, name-calling, arrogance, and unbiased opinions than possibly any other member in lawnsite history. The proof is out there.

As a result, I don't like you, nor most of your replies. But, in the spirit of "professionalism" I will abide by your wishes to discontinue a public pissing match.

later.

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Have a good day....like I said, I learned and now am a contributing member and avid learner. I'm sure you are a Red Sox fan, best of luck to your team, end of the summer always means ulcer time in Red Sox land

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by chevyman1
I'm sure you are a Red Sox fan

what was your first clue?

We don't need "good luck" wishes from a Met's fan....

We take a great deal of pride in stepping on our dinks year after year!

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Mark why aren't you working right now? Is your business a part time LCO as well? I am up to 32 homes and 3 commercials nights and weekends now, and my regular job is 8-4

GreenMonster
08-24-2004, 02:55 PM
oh, geez. Don't try to suck me into being your buddy now.

Yes, I'm p/t.

Town maintenance, plus handful of residentials and commericials.

I'm actually focusing more on landscape & hardscape installs.

chevyman1
08-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Nice man, good for you. Next year this will be full time for me....I'm focusing on cutting and total lawn stuff, and small landscaping, no fert. Well back to the day job, take care

Metro Lawn
08-24-2004, 10:36 PM
Chevyman1, I have gone through this debate with you before. You are a new part time lco that thinks whatever you own is the best. When you have been in business 20 years and have spent over a half million dollars on lawn mowers, then feel free to give advice. No large lco that I know of runs Dixies. I wonder why? Because they are junk. They may work well for a part timer such as yourself but for us, no. I will strongly stand behind my remarks regarding machines and you can bet they are time tested. I don't mean to come down on you so hard, but you post the same remarks about Dixie in all these posts. Your machine is new. When your machine has 2500 hours on it and you still feel the same way, then I may take you serious. I see so many guys like yourself that just get in over your heads. I generally buy 2-3 small companies out a year. It is usually poor business decisions that cause them to fail. Just stick to the basics and you'll do fine. Actually thinking about what I said before... Most of the big lcos in this area don't use Dixie, Exmark, or Hustler. I see them with more Bunton and BobCat Zs than anything. Nobody ever comments about those units. Maybe we are all missing something.

42homers
08-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Anyway..........back to the question. I have run Dixies for the past 6 years. Mine are old and need work.......they still cut great. I will tell you this from recent experience...........do not cut the baffles out.........mine were falling apart........yes after 7 years they needed to come out and be replaced..............well I haven't replaced them yet and it cuts terribly without them. More like a bush hog........clumps now where it never clumped before.

7 years -- 3500 hours----use em every day.

Are there better mowers? Probably. Each one has its pro's and it's cons. Will I ever buy another one? That's a decision I'll have to make when these finally give up!

Eric 1
08-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Metro Lawn
Chevyman1, I have gone through this debate with you before. You are a new part time lco that thinks whatever you own is the best. When you have been in business 20 years and have spent over a half million dollars on lawn mowers, then feel free to give advice. No large lco that I know of runs Dixies. I wonder why? Because they are junk. They may work well for a part timer such as yourself but for us, no. I will strongly stand behind my remarks regarding machines and you can bet they are time tested. I don't mean to come down on you so hard, but you post the same remarks about Dixie in all these posts. Your machine is new. When your machine has 2500 hours on it and you still feel the same way, then I may take you serious. I see so many guys like yourself that just get in over your heads. I generally buy 2-3 small companies out a year. It is usually poor business decisions that cause them to fail. Just stick to the basics and you'll do fine. Actually thinking about what I said before... Most of the big lcos in this area don't use Dixie, Exmark, or Hustler. I see them with more Bunton and BobCat Zs than anything. Nobody ever comments about those units. Maybe we are all missing something.

There are actually 4 large companies here that run Dixie's, replacing the scags/jd/toro and other various mowers with all dixies, they all seem to like them, I have one and could not be happier.Maybe its the different grass's and lots to do with a good dealer....

oh i forgot, you have been in business for longer than me, therefore you are right...........:rolleyes: sorry.

Green King
08-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I am not looking to get into a big debate. But in this area Dixie was the dominate mower for years and then for the last two years are fading away. I beleve they are good but they are old technology. Nothing wrong with that but when you can buy current modern machinery for the same or less money Then for me that is a better decesion. By the way if you do a search on here called Drag Race you will find that dixie finished third in a race. I was there and Dixie had no excuses! The man himself was there Art Evans.

matthew horner
08-24-2004, 11:33 PM
Had to chime in, I to have run both. Both do the job, but when I get on a mower day in/day out, it is a hustler z. I bought one new this year and haven't looked back...........cause I can't, i'll run over something.:eek:

91 Bagr
08-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Cntryboymc, I just found this site by accident while trying to get some info on Dixie Choppers myself. I have two ZTR's by Snapper that I want to replace and was thinking about a Dixie Chopper but have not been to a dealer as of yet. After you demo a dixie would you please post your opinion. I have just located the closest dealer to me and plan tp give him a call in the near future and will share my opinion as well. I dont really have a reason to choose Dixie over anyone else. I have on ever used Snapper ZTR's and my walk behinds are Ranson Bobcats I have no real complaints about ethier other then the Snapper have always had charging trouble. Thanks for your time, Bagr

Lbilawncare
08-25-2004, 12:00 AM
What a waste of time reading through you guys bickering just to answer this mans question (I though maybe there might be something worthwhile in your rants, but NOPE) We are a decent sized company that runs Dixie Chopper exclusively. This years models do not have the same baffling as last years so that is not an issue, I didn't care all that much for the x-blades because they threw the grass a lot further. The 32 Generacs are incredible, not as smooth as the 28efi Kohler but you can't have it all. Everyone has their opinion on what a great mower is, good luck with the demo.

Lawn-Scapes
08-25-2004, 12:07 AM
I switched to Dixie Chopper this year and couldn't be happier. I was a little angry/disappointed in the beginning with the cut quality but after playing around with the deck.. I got it tuned in just fine. My Generac blew a hole out the side a couple of weeks ago but hopefully that was freak thing :)

I'm not sure what is so old about the technology... My Dixie has an engine, wheels, hydros, deck, belts and blades.. etc. It is by far the most comfortable and easy to use mower I've been on.

Oh and it cuts nice too..........

matthew horner
08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
lawnscapes, i'd kill for some lawns like that.
Matt

txlawnking
08-25-2004, 12:17 AM
I was/ am considering a DC, I really like some things about them, one being the controls.. Best in the biz bar none, IMO.. I also like the lack of an electric clutch, and I like the extra oil coolers/Amsoil filters etc.. However, I did not like the local dealer telling me, afterI saw his serriously "mickey mouse" parts inventory, " We don't stock that many parts because they don't break that much.. Nevertheless, I may have the new 36" Silver Eagle if I demo it and like it..

As has been said probly a Gillion times here... DEMO,DEMO,DEMO, and Demo some more, if you find a couple you think may be keepers.. BTW, try to acctually put some Hours on the machine if you can... You'll know 1000 times more aboput a machine after an Hr or few than you will In 20 mins at the dealer's side lot....

Lawn-Scapes
08-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Matt,

I have 30 or so just like it. I try to be selective when taking on new work.

cntryboymc,

Like txlawnking said.. try to demo for more than 20 minutes. Make sure everything is set up properly too... I demoed one for 2 days before making my decision.

I just bought a new camera so I just have to post another picture. This was also cut with my piece of junk - old technology Dixie Chopper. :)

Good luck with your search.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-25-2004, 02:04 AM
dont have a lot of time to discuss this issue tonight, but dixie choppers are a very touch subjects around this forum..they always seem to bring out the most heated discusions.. but let me leave you with this to chew on.. every DC owner will fight till hes blue in the face that dixie is the best machine out there...theres a reason for that

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-25-2004, 02:08 AM
i will agree that most large companys in my area do not run dixies and i think its mainly a price issue, when you buy in bulk you can get exmark bunton toro and bobcat a heck of a lot cheaper than dixie...dont think its a quality issue

Richard Martin
08-25-2004, 05:08 AM
I won't fight till I'm blue in the face that Dixie is the best machine out there but I will tell you this. I won't give up my Dixie until you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I used to fight about Dixies and their superior technology. Not any more! I really don't give a rat's butt what anybody else buys. In fact I hope they don't buy a Dixie. It just gives me that much more of an advantage.

broken leg
08-25-2004, 06:23 AM
Easy way to answer your question. Leave the Dixie at the dealer and go ahead and buy a Walker mower. Not real fast but you can put it were you would only put a walkbehind mower. See how easy that was to settle.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-25-2004, 08:57 AM
you can put it where you want on a lawn....but you have to have a semi-trailer if you want to haul more than 2.....they are some long mowers

chevyman1
08-25-2004, 09:38 AM
I can't wait to get another Dixie, but I will demo them all in fairness. Sorry about the Green Monster guy, we are finally square I think

cntryboymc
08-25-2004, 09:51 AM
i willl let everyone know what i think of the dc after the demo.im working with cny power.it will be a few days as im taking a quick vacation to bristol,tn for the nascar race.

chevyman1
08-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Did you talk to John? how's everything working with him?

cntryboymc
08-25-2004, 10:03 AM
he seems pretty cool.i went up there last week drove the 60" extreme ,he is gonna bring out for me to use.i also spoke with the dc field rep at the shop.he was a lot more knowledgable than a lot of these so called mower salesmen.i have also spoken with a couple guys i know in this area that mow with dc extremes and a dc diesel,they love them.for the record a lot of people in this area tell me that ferris and walkers suck.

chevyman1
08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I only see one company in this area using Walkers....pretty much Albany seems to be a Toro/Exmark market...I'm the new guy with the Dixie out here...I get a lot of compliments and inquiries just because of that machine...yeah John at CNY is more the salesguy, and good at that. And Chris the regional DC guy is excellent...he literally spent over an hr going over every portion of the machine with me. I'm going back out there in the spring, maybe fall to buy another...I want to go for an extreme myself or a diesel perhaps...these guys are the best at CNY

cntryboymc
08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
thanks for the input!

Jimmyed
08-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Im not commercial. I just work on mowers.

Other guy i work for does some mowing.
11 years ago he bought 2 dixies with 52" decks and 20 kohler magnums on them. Both have damn near 5000 hours on them. aside from maintance, wheel bearings, no spindles bearings, belts, he has had no trouble out of them since he bought them. When he bought them we broke the shafts on all 4 wheel motors. They replaced no charge with the upgraded ones (1 1/4" shaft i think).
These machines have probably 20 different people on them abusing them. We had a wheel motor mount crack. Took them over to the factory, they replaced both frames this spring warranty. Only one had broke.

As for the cut, its all about sharp blades. We change them every time we use them (saturday and sunday).

To be honest I have used about every kind of ztr out there at one time or another and yet to get one that I can manuver as well as the chopper on hills and around stuff.

We mow around the farm and theres alot of tight off camber spots. None of the low riding exmark, scag, kees, ect.. ztr's seem as nimble as these.

Ride is bumpy as hell on them also.
We did get the deluxe seats for them this spring when we was at the factory. Bought 2 defective ones for $50 each. one had a stain on it and the other a tear on the back.
Great company and mower.