PDA

View Full Version : alittle off topic, but, what would u charge for this?

FrankenScagMachines
08-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Ok here's the deal, this lady is the boss at a nursing home in my town. she lives north of here 45 minutes. her mother lives south of here 45 minutes, or her house is there rather. Her mother is in this nursing home the lady works at and the mother is being transferred to assisted living in my town. The mother's house has been sold but an auction is going to be held there for furniture and such. This lady wants some of her furniture moved to her mother's for the auction and some of her mother's stuff moved to her house to be kept, and some of her mother's stuff to be taken to the assisted living apartment. so, she needs some furniture moved from a place 45 minutes north of here to 45 minutes south of here, then some from the south place back to the north place and one stop on the way from south to north, to a place in my town. We'll be using my truck and trailer and i'll have a helper. I'd say about 5 hrs into this, 6 at absolute most. What would be a fair amount to charge? I asked what she had in mind to pay and she said "at least $500". I don't want to take advantage, but in my mind i've never felt like i was taking advantage if the customer thought they got a fair deal. Now, i'm not sure but the price may be charged to the nursing home/assisted living place, which probably goes to the insurance?
I think $500 would be more than enough for the job, don't you? LOL.... Thats about $100/hr. for truck, trailer, me and a helper.
what ya all think? i know what i'm gonna do but what would you do?

Timbo
08-24-2004, 11:28 AM
If she can afford it, and that's what she wants to pay you, GO FOR IT! If you feel guilty, take your helper(s) out for a beer when you are finished.

FrankenScagMachines
08-24-2004, 11:39 AM
I'm 17, my helper is 18. Neither of us drink anyway.

The job was referred to me by a friend who works under this lady. I'll ask her if she thinks the price will be billed to the nursing home place or not. if it is, i won't worry about it. If not, hey thats what the lady said she'd pay right?

jug head
08-24-2004, 11:46 AM
do it--and sleep good--She set the price--and it's cheaper to pay you $500 than for her to buy a truck and trailer--Plus she trust that you won't destroy her stuff-- Credability is worth alot to some folks.

Gravely_Man
08-24-2004, 11:51 AM
If the $100.00 an hour is what you need to make per hour mowing then go for it. If you get it done sooner then expected you can give her a break on the price. I would be concerned about damage to the items with you not being a commercial mover.

Gravely_Man

MJB
08-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Just make sure you don't damage anything. Make a note of any damaded furniture before you load it etc. so you are not held responsible.

Randy Scott
08-24-2004, 12:04 PM
First of all, you'll have about 3 hours alone in drive time. That gives you 2 to 3 hours to load, unload the furniture. How much furniture is there? What if it can't be done in one trip, then it will cost YOU money to do it in drive time alone. Do you have enough wraps to use on all the furniture? What happens if something is damaged? Who is responsible? Using blankets and sheets won't cut it when wrapping furniture up to avoid damage. You really need the thick cloths they designed for moving.

Personally, although it COULD be good money, it could ALSO be a sour job. I know you want to help, but are you an LCO or a moving company? Just explain that as much as you'd love to help out, it just isn't a variation of work you get into.

DLCS
08-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Another thing to consider is how heavy is the furniture? Do you have enough help? I know your young but hurting your back isn't worth $500. Just make sure you got enough help. Also, bring plenty of tarps in case it decides to rain.:)

FrankenScagMachines
08-24-2004, 12:19 PM
She described what furniture was to go, i can easily get it in one load. I've helped lots of people move before but never for money (just helping friends/family). Peice of cake for the money. She already is getting the small stuff today, it's not like moving a whole house or anything. I've got furniture coverings covered. Like i said i already know what i'm going to do just seeing what you all would do and see if maybe you would think of something i forgot- but Randy's post did remind me i need to buy more tie down straps.

FrankenScagMachines
08-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Mike heaviest thing is an electric bed. I may go ahead and get another guy to help cuz that'll be heavy and I want to get this done in a timely manner and get back to other important things i had planned for the weekend.

burnandreturn
08-25-2004, 02:24 AM
Stairs, ask about stairs! Don't forget to ask her about stairs. Did I mention, ask if everything is on street level and are there any narrow gates, doors, and don't forget to ask her about stairs!

walker-talker
08-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Down the road you are going to take a job that is going to pay much less than expected. I would look at it as if this job will just equal things out. I scalp warm season lawns in the spring, it is much like leaf removal, when coming up with an estimate. Sometimes I am short and other times I am long, but it has always came close to equalling out.

65hoss
08-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Do it. At the end if it took a lot less than you thought, you can always give her a break on the price. Its your call. You will spend 1/2 a day driving and moving and paying 1 or 2 guys. Don't lock yourself into anything lower until you do the job.

FrankenScagMachines
08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
ok guys. Oh thanks for the reminder about stairs! quick thinking!!!

GrassBustersLawn
08-25-2004, 08:33 AM
FSM

I would definitely mention (or even give her a letter in writing) that you are NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO FURNITURE. I'm sure your INSURANCE (if you have it) will definitely not cover any damage since you are an LCO & not a moving/storage company!

With that said, I would then like to quote STEVE MILLER BAND and say, "GO ON TAKE THE MONEY & RUN!"

$500 ought to handle your expense & time as you've described it.

Mike

FrankenScagMachines
08-25-2004, 09:24 AM
Yes I have $1 million liability insurance and full coverage on equipment. Thanks, good idea on the disclaimer paper.

Chase
08-25-2004, 09:48 AM
I did some moving for several customers of mine this summer and I charge plenty for moving. The way to look at is, how much would a professional moving company charge to do this. Well they would charge her more than 500, therefore you are giving her a good price, and you feel great about it too.

cntryboymc
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
i always do jobs like this,even cleanouts and demo work.as long as you get your price,go for it!

wjb123
08-25-2004, 11:00 AM
I just had professional movers last month. For two men and a truck it cost $92 per hour, and they included drive time from their office to my house.

Some movers charge by the job. But I imagine they are very good at estimating. It might take a lot longer than you think. I find moving ALWAYS takes longer than I would have guessed. IMO you are rolling the dice by charging by the job. That's fine as long as you know the risks.

FrankenScagMachines
08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
wjb, then sounds like i'm just about right on the money according to your moving company's estimate :) I was counting drive time to and from the job and to all locations of the job as well.

Talked to her this morning- there are only stairs at her house, nothing real big or heavy at her house, just needs stuff from the basement brought up and out. She will be there the whole time to help and will follow us to the other locations to help.

MMLawn
08-25-2004, 02:05 PM
FSM, unless that $1M Policy is an Umbrella Policy and not just your LCO Policy I doubt it will cover any damage outside of lawncare damage as these policies are very direct in coverage. Also if you have time see what your State Law is on "waivers of liability" as in NC they are not legal and not worth the paper they are written on. Also most professional movers at least the big companies charge by the pound as they have a formula that they come in an estm the pounds and their time is included it that formula. Good luck.

PLM-1
08-25-2004, 06:34 PM
About a month ago i did some moving of furniture for a lady that i mow for because her basement flooded. she gave me $600 and felt bad she couldn't give me anymore. i only moved it about 15 miles and there were 2 trips. i did it at night so i didn't lose any mowing time. just something to think about.