PDA

View Full Version : Grub alert in Central MA

James Cormier
08-24-2004, 02:10 PM
First time this season I found grubs feeding and some damage, so be on the look out. Seems a little early but they are there. I didnt check their but's to see what kind they where. I just gave them a little dylox

BTW, this was on a lawn I use Mach 2 on , I gave them another ( mach 2 ) chance after faliure the first year it came out. I hope I didnt make a big mistake.

TSM
08-24-2004, 02:19 PM
from UMass Extension, Gail (cant think of her last name)

Oriental beetles are much less vulnerable to halofenozide (MACH 2)than are other species of grubs. In general oriental beetles are less sensitive to many turf insecticides but the trend is most noticeable with halofenozide.

Japanese beetles are the easiest of the four New England species to control, and are quite vulnerable to halofenozide, imidacloprid, and trichlorfon. As long as the timing of the application is appropriate and the material is watered in, turf managers should achieve very acceptable levels of control.

European chafers fall somewhere in between. Field trials using imidacloprid or halofenozide against European chafers have provided a wide range of results. In field trials conducted in Massachusetts the level of control has ranged from less than 20% (usually with applications that were made in May or June) to nearly 100% control with both products, at one time or another. In general imidacloprid provides slightly higher levels of control than does halofenozide against European chafers, but these differences usually are not statistically significant.
One of the keys to achieving good control of European chafer grubs is to remember that the chafer life cycle is about two weeks earlier than the life cycle for Japanese beetles. The "application window" for halofenozide or imidacloprid is probably a bit shorter than the manufacturers tend to suggest, and the application must be watered in.

Asiatic garden beetles are still more of a curiosity than anything else in New England, but their numbers appear to be increasing in some areas, particularly in unirrigated or poorly maintained turf settings. They are essentially untouched by imidacloprid - which may be why their numbers are increasing.

James Cormier
08-24-2004, 02:25 PM
now you tell me......lol

I new all that but was lead to believe they solved the problem with the Oriental beetles with the change in lable and higher rates....

I guess we will see

Flask
08-24-2004, 03:41 PM
I believe you are referring to Pat Vittum. She is the entomology professor. Gail Schumann is in pathology.

TREEGODFATHER
08-24-2004, 11:09 PM
I've noticed more and more trees from Brookfield eastward infested with Japanese Beetle grubs in the last 3 years; usually a secondary issue to the root cause- large spots of decay that make for easy evenues of entry.

In particular was a property in Worcester I removed a very large silver maple from this march. Without being scientific, I counted 40-50 grubs per square foot of wood- both wood otherwise solid and decayed.

Although I didn't get too in-depth, a survey of other trees from the same neighborhood showed other large trees infested heavily as well.

In contrast, trees I've removed from Belchertown to Westifield in simialar condition revealed very few grubs.

philk17088
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Those aren't Jap. Beetle grubs in side the trees. Japs fly over the lawn and lay eggs in mid flight.. The eggs hatch and burrow into the soil deeper, and later in the sumer they move to the surface and feed on the grass plant roots.

Idon't know what type of larvae you are seeing but they aren't Jap Beetle grubs.

TREEGODFATHER
08-25-2004, 04:59 PM
If I'm incorrect, I apologize.

What are these then? I've been digging them out of trees by the hundreds lately:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=772062

TSM
08-25-2004, 07:11 PM
treegodfather, might be a june beetle grub or even a may beetle grub. these grubs spend 2 seasons in the grub stage, get a bit bigger and are not uncommon to find them in tree roots.

from your photo,,,,hard to tell what species of grub, but if you are or have seen them in tree roots my bet is june beetle

but, a grub is a grub for the most part. june beetles and may beetles are 'tougher' because they do spend two seasons in the grub stage where other species of beetle only one season.

TREEGODFATHER
08-25-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm finding them anywhere from ground level right up to 50-60 feet... essentially the entire decay column, and then some.

I ID'ed them as JB based on the head, tranclucency in the thorax area, and the coloring in the rear. When I get the chance I will collect some samples and have them sent out to an entymologist.

These things are really getting BAD.

TSM
08-26-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by TREEGODFATHER
I'm finding them anywhere from ground level right up to 50-60 feet... essentially the entire decay column, and then some.

this is interesting. a grub feeds on roots, i cant imagine what would be keeping a grub alive 50 feet up a tree.

stranger things have happened, i guess

i'd be very interested in the id of these guys

if you can let us know the outcome of the entomolgist

TREEGODFATHER
08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Anywhere there's decay(ed)(ing) wood. I would presume that's what they're feeding off of. Usually from old LARGE pruning cuts made improperly.