PDA

View Full Version : stick edgers

fga
08-24-2004, 03:46 PM
i've never used one, (or even seen one in person for that matter), no one around here uses them at all, either weedwhack the edges or use the walkbehind edger for the tough stuff. I was wondering if they are easy to use on the outside of the curb(street side) i can make some nice edges, but when i edge the outside with the string trimmer usally just contours the lawn, rather then cutting in. this would be a deciding factor for purchasing a stick edger, can't even borrow one around here to check it out.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 03:49 PM
I used to use a walk behind edger all the time but it couldn't do curves really. The best thing about stick edgers is curves. Got to love them for that.

dkeisala
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Stick edgers have a wheel on them that allows you to follow the curb or walkway. They don't cut away as much material as a string trimmer does so your edges look green rather than being able to see the entire profile of the turf. It's a matter of preference, some people like seeing a nice, tight, vertical edge while others like a softer, greener edge that stays close to the opposing surface you are edging against. I use both a stick edger and string trimmer depending where I'm edging. I think string trimmers edge better around beds while stick edgers perform well along hard surfaces. The main reason I went with a stick edgers is due safety and liability as they don't turn rocks into bullets like a string trimmer can. Very important in tight residential areas and busy commercial sights with lots of cars, traffic and pedestrians. Stick edgers can also be mounted on your trimmer rack, taking up less space in your trailer than a walk behind will.