PDA

View Full Version : Where did that pile come from?

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Ok, so we are doing a huge clean up project for this one lady that wants it done before labor day because her family is coming up. It involves, pruning approx 15 shrubs around her house, pruning 105 pine trees (yup, not a typing error, 105), hauling away 3 years worth of leaves and grass in a huge pile in the backyard, mowing the lawn and bagging all of the pine needles, picking up some brush piles, and edging her driveway. And everything needs to be HAULED AWAY!!! Almost everything is done but a few things.

So last week I did all the pruning of the trees and stacked them in six piles around the yard (this is why I have been asking about a chipper). Then my worker and myself raked up and hauled away all of the old grass clippings and leave piles around the yard. It took four 6x12 trailer loads to haul the piles away.

So we come today to start to pick up the piles of tree limbs that were pruned and notice too small little piles of grass, leaves, and red bark chips from what looked like a 21" mower bagger unit (could tell by the shape of the piles). I was like, what the heck is that. Did we forget that last week? My worker told me no, that it actually looks new.

Yup, brand spanking new pile. So I was generous enough to pick it up throw it into the truck, went up to the house and told the lady that why was she trying to pile stuff back there when we just cleaned it up. At first she lied about it, but then she confessed. Said that she was sorry. I then told her, well, that changes the whole bid that I gave you. Now its going to be more.

Well, she got all mad at me, but sorry, I am not going to get screwed anymore. I learned my lesson after the $400 refund customer

Randy Scott
08-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Oh my god tiedman, you get stiffed once and now everyone is going to take it in the brown eye because of it! :D J/K

That's people for you. Think because you are there it costs you nothing to do a little extra. People want the professional service and cry when it's not, yet they pull little shenanigans all the time like that. I don't get it.

promower
08-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Charge an extra $400 to make up for the last guy:D

HOOLIE
08-24-2004, 06:29 PM
tiedeman,

I have complete confidence that you will recoup that $400 one little bit at a time...LOL

specialtylc
08-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Youre getting all bent out of shape over 2 little mower bags of clippings? And you want to charge her more after you have already hauled away 6 or more trailer loads. You need to get a grip on yourself.

Gtotoy
08-24-2004, 06:41 PM
~~"So we come today to start to pick up the piles of tree limbs that were pruned and notice too small little piles of grass, leaves, and red bark chips from what looked like a 21" mower bagger unit (could tell by the shape of the piles). I was like, what the heck is that. Did we forget that last week? My worker told me no, that it actually looks new."~~

~~All I have too say is WoW!! Sounds more like ya misbid and got Pissed over Nutin'~~

ken50
08-24-2004, 07:34 PM
How much did you get for doing that job?

Richard Martin
08-24-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by tiedeman

Yup, brand spanking new pile. So I was generous enough to pick it up throw it into the truck, went up to the house and told the lady that why was she trying to pile stuff back there when we just cleaned it up. At first she lied about it, but then she confessed. Said that she was sorry. I then told her, well, that changes the whole bid that I gave you. Now its going to be more.

Well, she got all mad at me, but sorry, I am not going to get screwed anymore. I learned my lesson after the $400 refund customer

You should have stopped your post right at the point where you were generous enough to throw it into the truck. Good Will is earned and not paid for. Unless she got your number out of the phone book she heard about you from someone else. That is called Good Will.

Although she should have asked before leaving you two new "small little piles" it is not good policy to go bitching even though she didn't ask. It took you what? Two minutes to clean it up? At 60 an hour that is 2 dollars.

Don't let that $400 mistake change your attitude towards customers. Contractors who go around nit-picking every little thing get a reputation and it's not a good one.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by promower
Charge an extra $400 to make up for the last guy:D

ya, thinking about it. :) I wouldn't have made so much of a big deal about, but the fact that when I gave the estimate she was big on getting everything spotless. So it kind of choked me that after I spent so much time on Friday cleaning up the pile that she would do something like that.

Did that one customer change my attitude? Yes, it's sad to say, but he did. I learned my lesson that day, and I promised myself that I will never let someone or something like that happen again to me.

Am I over reacting? Ya, probably. But it's time I start to tighten up the reins

Turf Medic
08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
Ok, so we are doing a huge clean up project for this one lady that wants it done before labor day because her family is coming up. It involves, pruning approx 15 shrubs around her house, pruning 105 pine trees (yup, not a typing error, 105), hauling away 3 years worth of leaves and grass in a huge pile in the backyard, mowing the lawn and bagging all of the pine needles, picking up some brush piles, and edging her driveway. And everything needs to be HAULED AWAY!!! Almost everything is done but a few things.

So last week I did all the pruning of the trees and stacked them in six piles around the yard (this is why I have been asking about a chipper). Then my worker and myself raked up and hauled away all of the old grass clippings and leave piles around the yard. It took four 6x12 trailer loads to haul the piles away.

So we come today to start to pick up the piles of tree limbs that were pruned and notice too small little piles of grass, leaves, and red bark chips from what looked like a 21" mower bagger unit (could tell by the shape of the piles). I was like, what the heck is that. Did we forget that last week? My worker told me no, that it actually looks new.

I'll bet $20 it took less time and energy to pick up the extra clippings than it did to type out this post. Bet you won't let lawnsite do that to you again.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
I'll bet $20 it took less time and energy to pick up the extra clippings than it did to type out this post. Bet you won't let lawnsite do that to you again.

LMAO!!! Took me about 20 secs to pick it up.

I am starting to sound like Bobby with customers now:p

Turf Medic
08-24-2004, 08:27 PM
LMAO!!! Took me about 20 secs to pick it up.

I am starting to sound like Bobby with customers now:p

Cool, well you can send my $20 to,

hell that would cause you more effort, just drop off the $20, to a local soup kitchen

Thanks

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
Cool, well you can send my $20 to,

hell that would cause you more effort, just drop off the $20, to a local soup kitchen

Thanks

d@mn...now I am out of $420. Thanks a lot turf medic.:D

ken50
08-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Tiedman, I have been reading your posts for quite awhile now, you are one of my "many" favorite posters. You are better than this though. Don't let that one pita customer keep you from being the businessman you are capable of being. Our customers test us sometimes, I know, but they are the reason we are in business....well, their MONEY is the reason we are in business, anyway.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ken50
Tiedman, I have been reading your posts for quite awhile now, you are one of my "many" favorite posters. You are better than this though. Don't let that one pita customer keep you from being the businessman you are capable of being. Our customers test us sometimes, I know, but they are the reason we are in business....well, their MONEY is the reason we are in business, anyway.

thanks appreciate it. Other times I would pick it up no problem, it's just that $400 customer left a bad taste in my mouth

fixer67
08-24-2004, 09:10 PM
I just the opposite of your story to tell. A few years ago I was helping a LCO on the side clean up after a snow storm. One of his accounts had pine tress blown down we had to cut up and haul off. Well we had already hauled off about 14 or 15 loads that day and we were starting to run out of places to haul it to. Well before leaving for another load we made a big pile of wood by the road to be ready for the next trip. Well can you imagine our surprise when we came back and found that some one had "stolen" the pile of wood. We both sat down in the road laughing. We would have gave them all the fire wood they could have hauled if they had just asked. We hauled another load and piled up another one by the road hoping our "helpers" would come back for a second load.

Ursushorribilus
08-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by fixer67
I just the opposite of your story to tell. A few years ago I was helping a LCO on the side clean up after a snow storm. One of his accounts had pine tress blown down we had to cut up and haul off. Well we had already hauled off about 14 or 15 loads that day and we were starting to run out of places to haul it to. Well before leaving for another load we made a big pile of wood by the road to be ready for the next trip. Well can you imagine our surprise when we came back and found that some one had "stolen" the pile of wood. We both sat down in the road laughing. We would have gave them all the fire wood they could have hauled if they had just asked. We hauled another load and piled up another one by the road hoping our "helpers" would come back for a second load.

Now that's funny!:)

42homers
08-24-2004, 09:57 PM
I had a huge pile of freshly raked pine straw (we use it down here) piled up by the road........left to empty the trailer so we could load it and it was gone when we got back.

Lot a labor getting that raked up.........