PDA

View Full Version : cutting after seeding

rdran5
08-24-2004, 08:21 PM
On average how long do you guys wait after seeding to cut, I am planting winter rye, I have had several customers ask me to aerate and seed, but I don't wont to mess up my cutting schedule
I normally bag, should I mulch if cutting after I seed.

Thanks for the input
Rich Landscapes

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:25 PM
with new grass, I usually always wait until it is at least 3 1/2 inches or higher.

MudslinginFX4
08-24-2004, 08:28 PM
I usually seed right after I get done cutting one day. I then skip the next cut and allow the new grass to grow out for at least 14 days or so. I guess the real answer would be whether the new grass has germinated or not yet. If there has been no water on it and it hasn't sprouted yet good then you might not want to cut it.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 08:30 PM
oh, I thought this was for a new lawn...my bad. Sorry about that

rdran5
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks tiedeman and ECM, Ensuring the germination is more important than cutting, I just hope the fescue doesn't go crazy waiting for the rye to come in, Thanks again guys

Rich Landscapes

Cutters Lawn Care
08-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Why don't you wait until October and overseed with fescue and rye at the same time?

rdran5
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Here in my zone, which is transitional, everyone seems to have great results planting winter rye in fall and fescue in spring, last winter my yard was green all winter and I actually cit up until the first week of December. I mid to late march plant fescue and so the cycle goes. What you are saying is plant both in fall, the fescue will just compete with the rye, right. I also have some older customers that insist on winter rye in september, thanks for the advice

Cutters Lawn Care
08-24-2004, 09:00 PM
We plant both here in the fall. Sept 15th-Oct 15 are the peak times to plant fescue and winter rye here. I try to get it done bye the first week in October so it can get established some before the leaf season comes in November. Alot of people try to put out fescue here in April and May and it just doesn't get established before the summer heat thins it out really bad.

rdran5
08-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks Cutter, I wil let you know how it turns out, this is my first year planting grass for someone else, kinda nervous don'r want to mess it up.

Ray & Karen
08-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Chief,

I'd cut the fescue down a little lower than normal. That would also allow the seed to more easily meet the soil, and would give you the two week grace period that you would need to allow the Rye to germinate.

polecat63
08-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Hey Rdran5, don't seed in the spring. Fescue needs to be seeded in the fall, just like rye. Most of what you seed in the spring will not make it through the summer heat, even with irrigation. At the very least it may be stunted and have a less than vibrant color. Although this is not true in all cases, why take that risk with others money?

rdran5
08-25-2004, 11:07 AM
You guys (and gals) Rock.. Thanks for all the great advice, I think I will try the fesue in the fall this year, do I just mix it with the rye when I overseed??

Rich Landscapes:)

MMLawn
08-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by rdran5
You guys (and gals) Rock.. Thanks for all the great advice, I think I will try the fesue in the fall this year, do I just mix it with the rye when I overseed??

Rich Landscapes:)

Yep, that is what we do and if the lawn has some bear spots we hit it a bit harder with the fescue.

bottlefed89
08-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Hey guys, I was thinking along the same route. I am going to aerate, verticut and overseed a few yards next week with fescue. I've also had some dethatching requests, it's too hot now, so when do I fit this in the schedule??
thanks