PDA

View Full Version : Trade radio advertising for lawn care?

Lowcountry Lawn Care
08-24-2004, 09:29 PM
I have done some work for the couple that own the local FM radio station. I have trimmed shrubs and layed pine straw in their beds for them, but currently do not cut the lawn for them. They sent payment for the work I did for them, and they included a letter that they are interested in trading lawn care for radio advertising. I was wondering what you guys with lots of experience think about this. Their lawn would probably take me around 45 minutes. I don't know the exact trade info yet, but this could possible be an every week cutting. Do you guys think it is worth even looking into or is radio advertising a waste? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

tiedeman
08-24-2004, 09:32 PM
I do work for a radio station and I have asked before...not interested. It's weird! They are on a really tight budget because they don't want me to clean the place up and make it look nice, yet they don't want the mowing done for free if we just swap.

tsmith82
08-24-2004, 09:43 PM
I haven't traded with a radio station, but the owner at this bar I go to said he'd give me a $50 tab If I cut his grass and pulled some weeds. I was a little leary at first, I like money, but I went ahead and did it. I went up there the other night and no $50 tab. I'm sure he'll make good on his word, but I don't thin I'll do any more trades, watch your back

LwnmwrMan22
08-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Yep, used to trade work here too. I still do with my mower dealer, I spray his yard for him and in exchange get a $300 credit on my account for the year, but it's all prearranged.

I suppose if you're looking for more work, what the hey.

You might want to get your wife, or another buddy that's got a business to call up and inquire about how much it is to advertise on the radio station. This way you have an idea how much their time is worth to them and they can't over-inflate their prices to you to try to get more work from you for less air time.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 10:10 PM
What Lmwr 22 said, AND, what kind of market does this station reach? I mean like is it sports radio, talk, rock, etc.. Think about the demograpics ( i.e. $$$ the listeners can spend ) and if they would attract the kind of customers you want..I'd make em' sign some sort of agreement as well....But it does sound like it could be an excellent opportunity.

42homers
08-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Did it once...........got a total of .............zero calls.

Sent him a letter and said thanks, he was definately getting the better end of the deal.