PDA

View Full Version : riders that can fit thru gates

C&S Services
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Does any one have pics of riders that they use that fit thru gates? Terracare posted a pic of the gravely 34z, is there any other make of rider out there. Also if you own one how much did it cost if you don't mind.

op4_camper
08-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Did you look at these. I would really think about one if i needed one.

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/products/gateway.html

C&S Services
08-24-2004, 09:57 PM
That is real cool. What is the cost of that mower?

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 10:14 PM
More than $5 G list, and have fun looking for parts.. If you can wait till' next season, Hustler, Dixie Chopper, and Wright will all be bringing some VERY interesting machines to market specifically for gated props... I have this info on VERY good authority.. ( Factory reps )

BTW you may not have to wait until next season for some of them.....

42homers
08-24-2004, 10:23 PM
I demo'd a 44" Chopper the other day.....quick and very good cut. They are coming out with a 36" soon.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 10:30 PM
That's one of em' I was talkin' about, the 36, the DC guy said it will have one big blade with 4 swinging blades, and like a stump jumper in the middle ( ALA' a bush hog )... He sid it will be out soon. The Hustler dude said a Mini Z 36, and the Gate star will be materializing very soon, the Gate star supposedly in a month or so...Wright man said a 32" stander will be here soon as well, but was mum on any details other than what's been said here already ( wider wheels on the new 32 and the redesigned 36" Standers)...

Almost forgot, the DC guy said 20hp for the 36!!!!!!! Thats my kinda mower:D

It's too bad these new toy's arent out now , as the Hustler guy was saying with the increase in the $$$$ of steel, everything is going up next season:(

42homers
08-24-2004, 10:41 PM
I ran the 44" through some tall bahai and it didn't miss a lick. I guess the blade tip speed on that is fast enough to get it all.

Not plugging Chopper, just relaying what I did and how it performed.

Itsgottobegreen
08-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Wright man said a 32" stander will be here soon as well, but was mum on any details other than what's been said here already ( wider wheels on the new 32 and the redesigned 36" Standers)...:(

Heard the same. I know it exists already. All I know is I want one.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Homer, How was the cut? No streaks??

cantoo
08-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I have a 4x4 Steiner that will go thru most gates. In fact I have a 4'bulldozer blade that I made for it that will knock most things over. Most people here will suggest that you split the cost of a wider gate with the customer if possible. You will make it up in saved time later, make sure you have a long term contract first.

fixer67
08-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Have you checked out Encore? We have just starter carrying them this summer. As far as blade speed the one we have on the showroom floor the blades scream.

http://www.encoreequipment.com/pages/pages03/Z3403.html

42homers
08-25-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Homer, How was the cut? No streaks??

No, cut clean as a whistle. I own a 48" Scag and there is quite a difference.

I didn't look to see what type blades he was running but they dispersed the clippings pretty good.

DSIM
08-25-2004, 08:39 AM
I bought a mini z a few weeks ago and it has replaced my walkbehind hopefully for good!

Nice machine. The seat has a suspension platform underneath it. Low center of gravity and low weight were my deciding factors in purchasing this z.

I demoed the Gravely 34z but felt the ride was too rough and the seat was too high for the narrow frame and it was too heavy.

I will let ya'll know how she holds up.

DSIM
08-25-2004, 08:41 AM
Here's another shot. Not bad on slopes either.

Tom-N-Texas
08-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Snapper makes a 28" rider that gets in 99% of all gates. Only costs $1000.00 too. I use it all the time.

walker-talker
08-25-2004, 09:45 AM
DSIM, what size of deck is on that mini-z and that is a Hustler.....right?

LCRIII
08-25-2004, 11:52 AM
I have an Encore Z34 and love it. (see fixer67 post) Pros; fits thru all my gates, beautiful cut, extremly well built, etc. Cons; bumpy but all I have is residential, not good on slopes, I am in flat SE Texas. I run a mulch kit, paid 4K and for what I do I love it.

DSIM
08-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Walker-Talker, Its a 36" Hustler Mini Fastrak. One thing I thought was strange though, is the total length of both blades equal 34.25" & not 36".? One blade is 20.5" the other is 13.75"

So actually I think its a little deceiving, calling it a 36 incher.

ProStreetCamaro
08-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Our friend sells the Encore 34Z and i test drove it. I didnt want to hurt his feeling but it was a poorly made and VERY SLOW machine. We got the Gravely 34Z and all I can say is WOW. Awsome cut, very heavy duty and with the right air pressure in the tires the ride isnt bad at all. For $3,700 you can not go wrong with the 34Z unless you have alot of hills.

C&S Services
08-25-2004, 06:21 PM
I'm looking for something that I might be able to use if I relocate to Florida. Most of the yards I saw were gated and quite small, do not plan on useing a push mower if I can help it. The 34z looks like a good mower, does it have a bag system?

Tider6972
08-25-2004, 06:31 PM
Yes, there is a bagging system for the PM34Z (Accelerator or Grass Gobbler style).

For Florida purposes, put a mulching kit on it !

Be prepared to keep a 21 trim mower available.

gravedigger5
08-25-2004, 06:34 PM
I know mines not a rider but at 54" and will fold up and fit thru a gate as small as 39" I can knock out gated yards faster than most. Thats the object is to save time and you can put the flexdeck attachment on one of those small riders making it 18" wider and it is amazing how well it trims around obstacles compared to a regular mower. jmho, Marc

TXLAWNBOY
08-25-2004, 07:52 PM
DSIM, What kind of warrenty is on the mini fastrack. I assume you are using it for commercial use, right? I was under the impression that Hustler was only doing a 90 day for commercial use.

I have a 54" fastrack and love it, handles good, cuts good, 300 hrs. and no major problems yet. However I WILL NOT buy another piece of equipt. unless it has a commercial warrenty of min. 1 yr.

The reason I am asking is because I am currently looking at options for next season as far as equipt. goes. I need mowers that will fit through gates, allow my guy's to have less fatigue, and is faster than we are currently using.

DSIM
08-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TXLAWNBOY
DSIM, What kind of warrenty is on the mini fastrack. I assume you are using it for commercial use, right? I was under the impression that Hustler was only doing a 90 day for commercial use.

I have a 54" fastrack and love it, handles good, cuts good, 300 hrs. and no major problems yet. However I WILL NOT buy another piece of equipt. unless it has a commercial warrenty of min. 1 yr.

The reason I am asking is because I am currently looking at options for next season as far as equipt. goes. I need mowers that will fit through gates, allow my guy's to have less fatigue, and is faster than we are currently using.

I was told that the spindles and leading deck edge is 3yrs for both c/h use but only a 90 day on the rest.

Yes I am using it for commercial use. I had an hour meter/rpm gauge installed to help with maintenance times.

The hydro's are sealed but life expectancy is 700 hrs. That should last me at least 3 yrs, I'm guessing.

Think about this, the difference you will pay for a mower with a year or two warranty might be more than repairing these mowers
out of warranty.

TXLAWNBOY
08-26-2004, 12:23 AM
DSIM, I agree w/what you are saying about cost of equipt. vs. repairs.

How well does it handle the hills and slopes? This is a major worry of mine. All I have heard from everyone that has tried a Encore or Gravely 34Z is how they do a good cut but don't handle hills well. I know that a rider has less fatigue but a WB will handle a hill better right.?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much does the mini fastrack msrp for and how much did you pay?

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Dsim, TXLB, guy's the Fasttrack series are acctually called "homeowner or light commercial by Hustler" hence the short warranty if used for commercial..At the recent expo, in Houston, the Hustler rep told me that they would be bringing a 36" Mini Z to market very soon, which will have conventional Pumps/motors...I looked at the Fastrack's and truthfully, the only thing "homeowner about them seemed to be the Integrated drives.. Otherwise they looked Hella stout, especially compared to the Encore..Come spring, I will probly have either the 36" Hustler, the forthcoming 36" Dixie, or maybe even the Hustler Gatestar WB in my trailer...Even though I HATE WB's..hydro or not..Digger, if I could find a Hydro 32" er with some real HP, I'd probly build something like you've got... VERY nice!

gravedigger5
08-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Even though I HATE WB's..hydro or not..Digger, if I could find a Hydro 32" er with some real HP, I'd probly build something like you've got... VERY nice!

Yeah, I know the WB is not as much fun as a Z but I already got a 62" and needed a wb for the nasty stuff like steep hills, ditches and gated yards. And now that my 36" is 54" I have even used it as a backup for my 62" Z when it broke a belt last summer. Have even considered getting a Flex Deck for my Z. Marc

DSIM
08-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TXLAWNBOY
DSIM, I agree w/what you are saying about cost of equipt. vs. repairs.

How well does it handle the hills and slopes? This is a major worry of mine. All I have heard from everyone that has tried a Encore or Gravely 34Z is how they do a good cut but don't handle hills well. I know that a rider has less fatigue but a WB will handle a hill better right.?

Also if you don't mind me asking how much does the mini fastrack msrp for and how much did you pay?

Txlawnboy, the heighth of this mower is only at 37.3" which is one of the shorteset I've seen. The tires are are smaller than the Gravely 34z. 18" vs 21" so lower center of gravity plus this mower is 72.5" long, same as a Gravely 44. So longer and shorter makes for better versatility imo.
The cut is perfect!!! No Lucky Boys in St Augustine, like I was getting with my Lesco wb & my Toro 21"
Bladetip speed is 18,200 rpm
and yes a wb would handle a hill better side to side but straight up and down it I would rather be on the Fastrak.

The MSRP is $3495 w 15 Kohler / $3995 w Honda v twin 16hp

I paid $3395. Still waiting for my dealer to get me some gator blades so the length of the clippings will be shorter.

I'm getting so spoiled now I dread doing the properties where I have to use the trim mower. I could have used this mower a long time ago!

DSIM
08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
TXLAWNKING, one thing to consider too, is the weight of the z's. All I have is residential and many with thick St Augustine lawns that are prone to ruts esp when wet.

With the Fastrak at only 550lbs I can mow wet lawns w/o them being tornup and rutted.

I would hate to have to revert to mowing with the 21 incher everytime it rained because the z was too heavy.

DSIM
08-26-2004, 08:47 AM
Gravedigger,
very nice setup with the flexdeck! If I may ask, how much did you spend for that and will it hook up to a z?

gravedigger5
08-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by DSIM
Gravedigger,
very nice setup with the flexdeck! If I may ask, how much did you spend for that and will it hook up to a z?

DSIM, Thanks. For the Toro 36" hydro 15hp Kawi just over $4000 and the Flex deck was less than $1100 shipped (but I installed it)
Yes it can be installed on a Z, just depends on the deck design for how much fabricating you will have to do. Some Dixie Choppers come already set-up for the flex deck and it just slips right on. Even after I bought the 36" I still used a push mower once in a while, but since I got the flex deck I have not used the push even once! Marc

NNJLandman
08-26-2004, 11:06 AM
Can't a walker with a 36" deck fit through a gate, they make 32 riders too i think.

Jeff