PDA

View Full Version : Tallest lawn I ever saw

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
I got to get me a way to take pictures I just went on an estimate and nearly fell over when I pulled up to my 7 pm appointment. This does not qualify as a lawn its where the lawn is suppose to be but the weeds are so bad I saw no sign of grass any where I drive a dodge ram 1500 and the lawn was over my roof by 2-3 feet in some spots. Poor old guy is 82 and the threat of the health dept has forced him to do something with the disgrace he calls a lawn. I am looking forward to Saturday when I do this job just to see the looks on my guy’s faces when I pull up hehehe. As for lawn cut no way its a brush job all the way and it looks like 20-30 yards of weeds and saplings are coming out of there and he’s only got about 6000 sq feet of lawn.

drsogr
08-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Wow sounds like one heck of a job! What are you going to use to cut? Watch out for those snakes!

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2004, 09:01 PM
I'll use the metal saw blades on my weed wackers they sell for them. That eats through stuff like this very easily.

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2004, 09:02 PM
No rattle snakes around here its rather safe in new england but thanks for the tip.

LawnBoy89
08-24-2004, 09:04 PM
How much do you plan to charge him.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Man, that sounds about like a Realtor job...Even at only 6000 sq ft, I'd rent a WB Bush hog for that in a heartbeat!

Gilla Gorilla
08-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Try to get some before and after pics and post them later for us to see. That sounds like one hell of a job.

Oh yeah, how long are you estimating you will spend on this job?

Kelly's Landscaping
08-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Umm cutting, clean up and the fact my free dump site is only 2 miles away then add in spraying which we will be repeating 2 weeks later to try to kill off most of the weeds before we move on to new lawn work also once I am done with phase one we have to wait on a stump removal guy before we can start the new lawn part. I must of counted 20 large stumps in the lawn, which kind of makes using anything with wheels a nightmare. I could do the job in about 10 hours with 2 guys and me but I think I will throw my part timers a bone and bang this out a lot quicker. So it should be a nice one-day job.

dwost
08-24-2004, 10:12 PM
http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/twoStepInquiry.aspx?X=1&Name=FieldBrush2Step&src=AW43881XE2253309

ROFL!!!!

Looks good in the commercials!!!!

HOOLIE
08-24-2004, 10:56 PM
How did you even know where to find the stumps?

I did one like that years ago. Some family from Saudi Arabia bought the house over the winter, but didn't move over here until August. Seeing as there aint much grass in S.A. I guess they didn't think about it. What a PITA. Good luck Saturday, I won't touch jobs like that anymore.

fixer67
08-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
I drive a dodge ram 1500 and the lawn was over my roof by 2-3 feet in some spots........... I am looking forward to Saturday when I do this job just to see the looks on my guy’s faces when I pull up hehehe.

You had better careful or you could lose some of your guys in that jungle

CJ GreenScapes
08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Man, that has got to be unhealthy for that old man to live in those kind of conditions. I hope you are being paid well, but the true reward will be when this man can safely walk out his door. Some jobs are worth more than the profit made.

Good luck and do take some pics if you get a chance.

DALMlawn&landscaping
08-25-2004, 01:36 AM
amen CJ, i'd rather get barely enough money to help out a old person than to get paid 35 bucks a man hour to do it for some rich folk.

Liberty Lawncare
08-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
No rattle snakes around here its rather safe in new england but thanks for the tip.
Hi Kelly's sounds like a fun job. I love choppin overgrown stuff. We do have copperheads and they have fairly nasty poison. As everyone else said try for the pictures. Take um with a regular camera then scan them in. I have some I need to develop. Wish I had a digital camera.:(

Gravely_Man
08-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Be careful when you mow. Mowing the tall thick stuff just tears your equipment up unless you have something like a older Gravely walkbehind that can take the abuse.

Gravely_Man

jbell113
08-25-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a before and after pic I will show u after I figure out how to post one.

gravedigger5
08-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by dwost
http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/twoStepInquiry.aspx?X=1&Name=FieldBrush2Step&src=AW43881XE2253309

ROFL!!!!

Looks good in the commercials!!!!

I got one of those DR mowers with the 15hp Kawi on it. If the machine can knock it over it will chop it up. I have even chopped up 3" dia vines that grow up into trees. The machine is built fairly heavy but as far as commercial work I would not want to rely on this thing everyday to make a living with, but comes in handy for jobs just like this. I have even seen places that rent this exact item and the one I have has a finish mowing deck with it and is the mower I started my mowing business with:o Now I just use it for brush mowing jobs like this one and for a back up wb if I were to need one. Marc

locutus
08-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by DALMlawn&landscaping
amen CJ, i'd rather get barely enough money to help out a old person than to get paid 35 bucks a man hour to do it for some rich folk. Why the contempt for rich folks? If you truly would rather work for poor people and barely get by, then why dont you do just that and join the ranks of has-been LCO's.

jbell113
08-25-2004, 08:21 PM
this is a prop that took 2 guys 3hrs to complete

jbell113
08-25-2004, 08:23 PM
sorry they are out of order

SellPoint
08-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Jbell's pictures look all too familiar. The wonderful world of REO properties. I mainly mow repos for mortgage companies and invariably that is how almost all of my yards start out. Add to that fact that all of these companies allow for mows twice a month no matter the time of season, and it's hard to keep'em from lookin like a hay field.

:cry: I never get to do the perty stuff.

PMLAWN
08-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Does any body know how the DR compares to the Billy Goat? (price / build)

Gravely_Man
08-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Those were some wonderful pictures. You did a great job on cleaning that mess up. That why I keep some of the older Gravelys around. The fact I collect them has nothing to do with it. :D

Gravely_Man