PDA

View Full Version : Trimming around a Chain Fence

Drew Gemma
08-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Does anyone have any tricks to trimming around chain link fences. Most of the ones I have encountered go all the way down into the turf so you can't slide the line underneath the fence. Plus spraying them would kill the neighbors side which would get them fired up at me.

Josh18
08-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Chain link fences are deffinately one the things I hate most. I really don't know if there is a trick to doing this, if there is I would like to know also.

CJ GreenScapes
08-24-2004, 10:42 PM
If you figure out a good way, let me know too. Very frustrating...

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't call this a "trick" but I'll tell you my deal.
I run my trimmer 3/4 to wide open 75% of the time. The other 25%, I run it just over Idle, on you guessed, chain link... BTW .105 line is your friend, as well as Gator Magnum..When I bid props with lots of Chain link, I deffinately bid accordingly. Your results will improve with time, I can almost run with a trimmer and trim chainlink now....:cool:

fga
08-24-2004, 10:55 PM
i just let the trimmer line hit on the fence. if the other side is the neighbors side, no need to do it anyway. if its my customers fence, say a front fence, i just do the same thing on both sides..... simple. i guess maybe i hold it on a more downward angle..

Mickhippy
08-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Dosent work always but.... If you hold the trimmer in your right hand, walk back wards along the fence(fence on your left). This way the line pulls away from you into the fence and not away off the fence. If that made sense.
Like I said, it dosent always work but you could give it a go!

gl1200a
08-24-2004, 11:03 PM
I can usually talk the owner into letting me run a line of Round Up along the fence so as to eliminate the experience of trimming it all together. Not always though.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I have seriouly considered using something like Primo Maxx, or Embark to stunt the grass, but with these products being in the $200 something a gallon range.. It may be a while before I experiment with them! Two hunch buys a lot of trimmer line....

walker-talker
08-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I agree with txlawnking, gator magnum and a slower rpm. This way the line does more "bouncing" off the fence rather always cutting it. I also have considered a growth regulator. I remember seeing Embark for around $55 a gallon, but that might have been a "not so" concentrate mix. Let me know where you can find Primo Maxx for $200, that would be a pretty good deal.

txlawnking
08-24-2004, 11:20 PM
Walker look no further than Lesco... It might have been more like $250... Memory got fuzzy after I heard over $200 you know...LOL

Pecker
08-25-2004, 12:04 AM
I don't find chainlink difficult to mow at all. In fact, I can trim it as fast as nearly any other obstacle. Just don't run your trimmer too close to the link you you will end up wasting alot of line. I run mine about 75% throttle and walk at a comfortable pace. Give it a try. . .just don't let it eat your line.

IMPACT
08-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Residentials get a slower head speed and .105 line, commercials get WFO( where appropriate), and .155 line. The T 270 sounds like a Huey whipping 12" of dual .155..:eek:

Richard Martin
08-25-2004, 04:16 AM
I'm with ****** on this. Don't treat chain link any different than a wall. Just walk along and trim it at the same height as any other grass. If there are any tall stragglers you will see them next week or the week after and knock them down.

I used to drive myself nuts trying to make sure I got every last blade of grass. I tried all kinds of wacky thing like fga and MickHippy talked about. Now I don't worry about it. And the best part is you can't tell a difference.

ducky1
08-25-2004, 05:19 AM
I use a edgit on chainlink with ariund 1/2 throttle or so and works fine for me.

walker-talker
08-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Walker look no further than Lesco... It might have been more like $250... Memory got fuzzy after I heard over $200 you know...LOL $250...are you sure??? Thats a good deal for Primo Maxx!! My local dealer sells it for $499 a gallon. I have heard of some golf courses getting it for around $300 from other suppliers. It may sound like a lot of money, but with that stuff, a little goes a long way. I think its something like 1/2 oz per gallon or so, but dont quote me on that.

naturescape
08-25-2004, 08:29 AM
If the grass is high along the fence, you can use the trimmer in an edging position, walking backwards, "edging" along the fence. The go back over the area as if you're trimming against a wall.

txlawnking
08-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Walker, You're probly correct, but I thought the Lesco dude was talking about Primo... Maybe he meant $200 per 1/2 gal.. Yeah, he said it was some real trick stuff...

Itsgottobegreen
08-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Bunton used to make a roller that when on the side of the deck for chain link fence. The roller would push the fence out of the way so you could cut where it normally stands. I wonder if you cans still get them.

Or use the rounded side of a standers deck to push back the fence while cutting it.

Or buy the edgit attachment, the plastic disk rolls right alone the edge of the chain link. I plan to put one on my trimmer next year.

Gravely_Man
08-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Chainlink fencing is really bad. You just have to go slow and if you can do both sides of the fence even better! Definately something to notice when bidding

GRavely_Man

Precision
08-25-2004, 09:04 PM
I run my whacker at 3/4 speed and with a long line. this seems to let the string bounce off the link. I can walk just a tad slower than normal and get it done.

I have a property that has +400 feet of link and I usually don't need to advance the line but once in that distance. The cut isn't perfect, but you get 80-90%.

I have heard rumors that roundup at 1/4 strength works as a growth inhibitor. Not tried it yet.

LwnmwrMan22
08-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Primo here in MN, $450 / gallon, 2 oz / 1000 sq ft.

Anyways, chainlink is a piece of cake. The problem is when the chainlink is vinyl coated, so you don't tear the coating off.

Walk backwards, 1/2-3/4 throttle, and get it so it looks good. Next week you can get what you missed the first week, like Richard Martin said.