PDA

View Full Version : August Pickups !!!!

Matts Mowing
08-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Just wondering how many of you out there are have a pick up of calls for lawn service in August? I have only been in the business 4 years but EVERY year I receive a large amount of calls in August. I advertise in the local small city newspaper and their is a ton of competition around. It seems that I receive more calls this time of year than I do in the spring. I assume that either they get tired of mowing this time of year or their LCO went out of business. :confused: Gotta Love August !!!!:D

gottamow
08-25-2004, 02:32 AM
That's encouraging news to me. I just started my business (part-time) this month. I made the decision today to place an add in the local paper. I figured in the long run it would be worth it even if I just got a few clients out of it. I hope it works for me like it has you.

Matts Mowing
08-25-2004, 06:11 AM
I tried the fliers when I first started. I sent out about 500 and received 3 calls and actually landed 2. I put my ad out the next month and have never looked back. I get several calls a day and it is well worth the money. Good luck in your business gottamow....

wriken
08-25-2004, 07:19 AM
I just picked up 3 lawns yesterday, 2 of them include fertilizing.

Littleriver1
08-25-2004, 07:23 AM
I usually get a few new accounts in Aug. This year I got 1 from a new home owner and 2 from unhappy service. Just a note about unhappy service. Any time I have gotten new accounts this way, it is because the LCO didn't get there on time or at all or didn't call the customer to discuss the problem. If you have a problem with a customer and you don't want to get fired, get on the phone. It is not always about quality.

grass_cuttin_fool
08-25-2004, 07:33 AM
I picked up another account for today, think it has got too hot for some lol

Josh18
08-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I put an ad in the paper about a week ago hoping to get some that were unsatisfied. Havn't received one call yet. Still have 7 more weeks though.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
08-25-2004, 10:00 AM
the surge in accounts in fall is most likely due to all the highschool and college kids who have started up shop this year and now are going back to school and cant handle the load.

MMLawn
08-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Five Star Lawn Care LLC
the surge in accounts in fall is most likely due to all the highschool and college kids who have started up shop this year and now are going back to school and cant handle the load.

I agree as that too is why I think we get these calls. We picked up 2 new accts yesterday while I was here in the office on the computer on lawnsite:p and those were from postcards we had mailed back in May. More than the accts I am glad that it shows that folks are holding on to the cards for possible future work for us instead of throwing them away:D

AuburnGuy
08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I have also been suprised how long people hold on the cards and fliers. I have had and excellent second year. I too have found that the most important thing you can do is showup when you say you will or call when you can't. I get so many complaints about the customer never knowing when there grass would be cut.

Avery
08-25-2004, 06:12 PM
August picks up because the Craftsman mowers used by the low ballers will only run so long when used commercialy. That and it gets a little hot for the part timers. At least that is the case in my area.

Richard Martin
08-25-2004, 08:02 PM
I experienced the July/August phenomenon for the first time in 2000. It was a very wet year and the crabgrass was growing like crazy. I thought I was "the man" because I landed 4 or 5 new accounts in short order. Well next April came around and not a single one of those customers wanted to re-up. I quickly realized then that they only wanted my services because of the crazy crabgrass growth.

Last year was a very wet year (as is this one) and the crabgrass was growing like wildfire again. Wouldn't you know it that one of those people called me again to take care of their mess. I told them I was booked up.

I am really only interested in long time relationships with my customers. These 7 or 8 cut people can find a scrub somewhere to take care of their messes.

Tharrell
08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade but be careful. You may not have them next year. I've gotten them at the end of the year and for one reason or another, they didn't last. Mostly because they're pitas to begin with and some other lco figured it out before me. My best, most loyal accounts have always been referrals.

Greenservice
08-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I've known people who fired their lawn service in the summer because they were coming and mowing when the grass was burned and were just running over the dry lawn to make money.

promower
08-25-2004, 10:50 PM
I have picked up about 4 new ones in Aug. One was a condo unit I gave a bid for 7 weeks ago. Surprised to hear from them, locked them up for snow and grass.

HOOLIE
08-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I agree, the phenomenon is partly due to it being the end of the "Summer Scrub Season". Lots of kids hanging it up for the year (football practice, homework, chasing girls, etc.)

I just picked up 3 new lawns on a street where I'd only had one lawn for the past 2 seasons. Seems the strapping high school lad suddenly decided to leave them high and dry. Nice part is, one of them is a sales rep for a fertilizer & seed company, might be able to work with him in the future.

So to all you scrubs everywhere, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. LOL

MMLawn
08-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Avery
August picks up because the Craftsman mowers used by the low ballers will only run so long when used commercialy. That and it gets a little hot for the part timers. At least that is the case in my area.

Too Funny!!:blob1:

Matts Mowing
08-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Tharrell
I don't want to rain on your parade but be careful. You may not have them next year. I've gotten them at the end of the year and for one reason or another, they didn't last. Mostly because they're pitas to begin with and some other lco figured it out before me. My best, most loyal accounts have always been referrals.

I have had very good luck with all of my accounts. It seems the only time I lose an account is when the customer dies or moves. Once in awhile someone loses their job. I tell all my new customers that my work and reliability will speak for itself and have only lost 1 customer for business reasons. Man, I will say that the winter always wreaks havoc on my customers. I think that I lose 10% a winter from them moving on to the big guy upstairs...:angel:

snippy
08-26-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by HOOLIE
I agree, the phenomenon is partly due to it being the end of the "Summer Scrub Season". Lots of kids hanging it up for the year (football practice, homework, chasing girls, etc.)

And us "pros" get to keep on mowing... gee aren't we lucky :(