PDA

View Full Version : Got me a Walker!

southside
05-26-2000, 09:46 AM
Just took delivery of a 2000 model Walker<br>GHS 48&quot; with 26hp Kohler EFI. Put on the<br>video they gave me with the mower in the vcr<br>and the tape jammed up in the video.I hope<br>the mower is better than the &quot;how to mow&quot;<br>tape,that my dealer strongly suggested that I<br>watch.Mower looks good,sounds good.Noisy<br>motors,them Kohlers.Gonna try it out on Sunday in the backyard and then to work Monday.Wish me luck. :)<p>Karl<br>

AB Lawn Care
05-26-2000, 11:50 AM
I think after useing tractor style mowers for years you are going to love it!I like the sound of my 20hp kohler,sounds like a little motorcycle.It is too bad the tape jammed!Make sure you get an other.It has good tip for those who have never driven a Walker before.The most important thing is don't use 2 hands to steer it!!!!!!!!Not only will you be jerking all over the place you will also do some good damage to lawns.It will take you a bit to get on to the steering but it is very easy to run once you have a little experence.One BIG tip is untill you really get into driving it allway keep an eye on the back of the mower when backing up and turning near cars houses ect.I'm glad you took the plunge!I am shure you will never think twice about buying a Walker agian!Have fun...........and don't slam into any parked cars!!!!!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Guido
05-26-2000, 12:16 PM
Congratulations.....Enjoy!!<p>----------<br>&quot;guido&quot;<br>David M. Famiglietti

HOMER
05-26-2000, 10:48 PM
Way to go Karl, keep us updated on the performance. <p>Homer

southside
05-27-2000, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the comments,guys. I will keep <br>you updated as things progress.Hitting things<br>with the back of the unit was one of my concerns.I'll take things slowly for now.<p>Karl<br>

MOW ED
05-27-2000, 01:06 PM
Good Luck with your new mower, the Walker name is great but I'm still wondering about Kohler. I hope you have better luck than I have had with my 25hp piece of ****. Sorry but I just took it in for the fourth major repair in 2.5 years, I'll know more Tuesday. Thank God for my TORO.

gene gls
05-27-2000, 11:41 PM
GOOD LUCK ---Karl. Just remember to back away from an object when cutting close and not drive away. As you drive away,the back gets closer.

OBRYANMAINT
05-28-2000, 12:10 AM
all machines have their small quirks and special traits but the versatility of the walker is what makes me thankful for mine<br>i change back and forth from 42 and 54 decks quickly

southside
05-28-2000, 04:55 AM
Just mowed the backyard with it this morning.<br>Grass was knee high,I was gonna put the <br>tractor/slasher through it first,but I thought I'd give the Walker a try first.<br>It ploughed through it real easy,revs didn't<br>even drop at all.Has a **** load of power.<br>Off to a big sub division tomorrow,should<br>be great.<p>Karl<br>

AB Lawn Care
05-28-2000, 12:41 PM
I large tip I forgot to tell you karl!Buy a speed up kit for it!It will speed you up from 5mph to 8mph.I bought it last year for mine and I love it!It is just a pully you change.It will not cost you much even in AUS and you will gain ALOT of time!Hope this will help! <p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

JJ Lawn
05-28-2000, 01:55 PM
&gt;Off to a big sub division tomorrow,should<br>be great.<p>&quot;Watch out for that Tree&quot;<p>Go slow around buildings, cars, privies, etc... Watch out for the back end swing.<p>Jim<p>I remember the first time I drove my Walker, forgot to pull back on drive lever looking for break....ran right up a tree. The next time I put a ding in a customers car from the back end swing. so I speak from experience.

Bobby
05-28-2000, 03:10 PM
Hey Karl. Being a slasher man, your probably used to running over stuff and not worring to much about it. Your Walker however will not take much of a hit without the shear bolts breaking. When this happens, the blades slam together . Usually, damaged beyond repair. P.S. Don't even try to take on an outhouse. Seat is dangerously low. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

walkerrider
05-28-2000, 08:47 PM
Hey Southside. Glad to see you went top end on that mower. I have the 25HP version and love it. I have hit a few obstacles. The shear pins on the blades will handle it before you shear the gearbox pins. Great cut great versatility. I have swung into a few things during my ramp up period. Luckly missed my wivies car first time I tried the Zero turn feature. Everything I have hit has taken the worse of it. The machine is realyy well built and can take a beating. I try hard to baby it but it is a horse<br>

southside
05-29-2000, 06:21 AM
AB Lwancare,<br> I got the speed up pulley on<br>it,works well.Also got manual deck lift and<br>atv tyres as we do some steep areas. I went<br>to the subdivision today and it worked real <br>well.This is gonna save me heaps of time.<br>Gotta watch the tight turns as the atv tyres<br>really rip up the ground if I balls up the<br>turn. It also seems to have a habit of <br>standing up and lifting the back wheel.Very<br>scary backing up onto the truck for the first<br>time.Arse was going 50 cents - 5 cents with<br>inflation getting worse. :) All in all <br>though I am impressed with it's performance.<p>Karl<br>

sdgoes
05-29-2000, 10:35 PM
Karl,<br>Glad to hear your happy with your walker. Has anybody used the kabota engined walkers?<br>Diesel or gas. How do the run and how much money are they?

southside
05-30-2000, 05:58 AM
sdgoes,the diesel model here is around $4k<br>more.I looked at it,but the fuel economy<br>on the Kohler EFI motor is pretty good.I<br>believe the 26hp efi also has more torque.<br>I would like to see Walker make a larger<br>machine,say 60&quot; GHS with a 30-35hp diesel<br>for the larger areas.That would be interesting.<p>Karl<br>

Flex-Deck
05-31-2000, 12:15 AM
In SE. Iowa John Deere is big and I run JD equip. and I like it, but we have very little exposure to other brands, and I notice that nobody really discusses JD equip. It seems other brands are popular every where but here, WHY?

Toroguy
05-31-2000, 07:34 AM
Dentist,<br>Deere is big north of you in MN also, Toro is the most popular based on what I see in the field. I had never heard of exmark or Dixie Chopper until this forum. I was also suprised there was no talk of Deere here, everyone has a Deere hat right?<p>Congrats on the Walker Karl

Eric ELM
05-31-2000, 07:58 AM
Mowing Dentist:<p>Everyone has been led to believe Green and Yellow meant quality. I started out with JD's when I started mowing and had nothing but problems with them. My dealer told me that I needed to have a back up mower when taking my last 430 in to the shop for the umpteenth time. I got a Chopper 7 years ago and it's never been back to the dealer for repair. The JD has been parked since and doesn't mow a blade of grass. The 430 has a 60&quot; deck and will actually go faster than my Chopper, but the Chopper will mow 2 times as much grass. JD didn't make a ZTR til it was too late and now they have to work the bugs out of them and offer them to the public at a cheaper price to get in the market again. I have not seen a JD ZTR mowing in the Chicago area yet. For us commercial guys, it's all about dependability and as far as I'm concerned, JD hasn't figured out how to build a dependable machine. I sure don't miss those trips to the JD shop.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

Flex-Deck
05-31-2000, 09:18 PM
I bought a 332 in 1988 and it has 4500 hours on it and has had a 68&quot; deck under it for the last 2500 hrs, and the only thing I have done is replace a water pump, injectors and a generator at about 2500 hrs. Still uses no oil and runs like a charm. I have 3 455's 1200 hrs, 585 hrs, and 110 hrs, and have had no problems. Am I just lucky?

Eric ELM
05-31-2000, 11:25 PM
I bought a 332 in 1988 also. The left wheel spindle broke off by the weld where the steering arm is welded, this same thing happened on the 430 also. The 332 had sealed spindle bearings they all had to be replaced. I traded it in for the 430 so I could get greasable bearings and the gear box on the pto kept falling apart. I take very good care of my equipment, because it makes me money and I couldn't afford the down time. After making several trips to the JD shop, they finally put on a new gear box on the deck and it fell apart. I think I have a legit complaint. I'm not bashing JD, I still have the 430, but it sure isn't the best thing to mow with. My 60&quot; ZTR's will mow twice as much in the same time and they hold up great. I was just saying, there is a lot better way to mow than with a tractor. Yes, I know how you are getting the extra width out of your decks.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

lawrence stone
05-31-2000, 11:37 PM
Since those JD's are not zero turn they must really blow when it comes to lawns under one acre.

southside
06-01-2000, 07:03 AM
Well Guys,I put the Walker to work this week.<br>WOW! It took us 15 hours to mow this subdivision with our Kubota.It took us 10 hrs<br>with the Walker.Thats with me going slow and<br>still getting used to a ztr.Reckon I could <br>finish it in 8.5 - 9 hrs.Amazing machine with<br>a brilliant cut and plenty of power.<p>As for JD gear,I've only used their tractors<br>(1140 & 1750) and as far as I'm concerned,<br>the only good JD is a burning JD.<p>Karl<br>