PDA

View Full Version : What to spray weeds with


HazellLawnCare
08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Ok I will start out by saying that yes I do have my applicators license but I don't have a big sprayer yet. I have picked up some new yards that have a pretty good stand of grass but a few weeds. What should I spray on the yard? I'm wanting to just do some spot spraying with a backpack now until I have a full blown spray rig next spring.

MrBarefoot
08-25-2004, 03:39 PM
What weed are to going after?

Most Broad leaf weeds can be controlled with a typical 3-way, Trimec 992, Trimec 899, Lesco 3-way, Triplet to name a few.

Difficult to control weeds like violets or clovers can be controlled with a "Premium" product, Momentum, Confront, SpeedZone are good examples.

Some grassy weeds, like Crabgrass or Dallisgrass can be controlled with Drive 75, Acclaim, or MSMA. Be sure to read the label regarding air temperature limits and growth stage treatment windows.

And there are other weeds like Yellow Nutsedge that require a specialty product to control, like Manage.

There are some weeds that just can't be controlled.

So the answer to your question depends on the weeds your going after. If you need a weed identified, take a picture and post it for us to look at.

Edited for spelling.

HazellLawnCare
08-25-2004, 03:43 PM
I've been considering Momentum will I have a decent rate of success on most weeds?

MrBarefoot
08-25-2004, 04:02 PM
In 2002 and 2003 I used Momentum at 1.3 oz/.5 gallon of water/1,000 sqft and some Lesco Spreader Sticker with great results.

If you have some real tough weeds like violets, come back 2 or 3 weeks later and hit em again.

I highly recommend that you use the spreader sticker. It will work a lot better.

HazellLawnCare
09-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the spreader sticker?

Ric
09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by HazellLawnCare
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the spreader sticker?

HazellLawnCare

Sorry but I really got to ask. What are the requirement for a Pesticide License in your state???

ArizPestWeed
09-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Some call it a surfactant or adjuvent

MrBarefoot
09-03-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by HazellLawnCare
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the spreader sticker?

Lesco sells a product called "Spreader-Sticker", you can find the label at...

http://www.lesco.com/Label.aspx?label=005182.pdf

When added to a weed control product, it will help keep the product on the target plants. This will give you better control on tough weeds like clover and violets.

In my experience, I get better control of weeds with 1.2 oz./1000 sqft & spreader sticker, then I get with 1.5 oz/1000 sqft and no sticker.

Considering the cost of a gallon of sticker and 2 pints treats 100 gallons, it is a worthwhile investment.

There are similar products from other manufactures that work as well. So if you have no Lesco near you, look around.

2 man crew
09-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Ric
HazellLawnCare

Sorry but I really got to ask. What are the requirement for a Pesticide License in your state???


This could be a problem!

HazellLawnCare
09-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Sorry now that I think about it I realize what it is. I originally thought why in the world would I want to put something in my Lesco spreader if I am spraying it with a backpack sprayer. Sorry guys it was an honest brain fart.

Ric
09-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Ric
HazellLawnCare

Sorry but I really got to ask. What are the requirement for a Pesticide License in your state???

Can anyone tell me what Missouri's licensing requirement are?? Is there a testing requirement and do you have to work under a Certified Applicator first?

DLS1
09-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Ric
Can anyone tell me what Missouri's licensing requirement are?? Is there a testing requirement and do you have to work under a Certified Applicator first?

I have a Missouri license and it is fairly easy. There is the main test area that everyone takes and then you take a another test in your specialty area. I just bought the training books and read it and took the test two weeks later and passed okay. You must get at least 70% correct answers for each test.

There is no requirement to work with a certified applicator before you take the test. Cost I think $25 or was it $40 for the license. You must also provided proof of insurance for property and liability for a minimum of I think it was $25,000. I have 1 million coverage.

Ric
09-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by DLS1
I have a Missouri license and it is fairly easy. There is the main test area that everyone takes and then you take a another test in your specialty area. I just bought the training books and read it and took the test two weeks later and passed okay. You must get at least 70% correct answers for each test.

There is no requirement to work with a certified applicator before you take the test. Cost I think $25 or was it $40 for the license. You must also provided proof of insurance for property and liability for a minimum of I think it was $25,000. I have 1 million coverage.

DLS1

Thank you. Your answer is what I was expecting the requirement to be.