PDA

View Full Version : Dead Live Oak Removal

ken50
08-25-2004, 07:07 PM
I need to turn in a bid for removing a dead live oak tree. The tree is about 30' high, I would guess. It is at the back of the property of an apartment complex that I do. The apartment manager told me she thought it should be about $200, I don't think so, doesn't that sound awfully cheap? Haven't bid anything like this before, so I was just wondering if I could get a little help on it...

Thanks in advance...

rockandroller
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Sounds real cheap to me. Probably 75- 100 just in dumping fees, unless you have a chipper/shredder..I've done a few small trees pretty cheap, but not that cheap. Without seeing it I would think it might be double her price???Good luck

PLM-1
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
around here you are lucky to get a tree removed for less than $800!

Mowing Mike
08-25-2004, 07:54 PM
What is the diameter of the tree and can you drop the tree all in one piece or do you have to climb and rig it out? 30ft is a relatively small tree. diameter would be helpful to give you help further.

Mike

Oldtimer
08-25-2004, 09:05 PM
If you don't know how much to charge you probably haven't tackled a dead live oak either. Call a couple of tree companies for estimates, sub it out and make 10% with no liability. The stump will need to be ground

Always get a certificate of insurance before they start work.

The Almighty can't split live oak with a lightning bolt and it's useless as firewood.

Oldtimer

Olylawnboy
08-25-2004, 10:06 PM
What do you guys mean by a "dead live oak tree"? Just got to ask. I've never heard that term here in the Pac NW. We have some oaks here and a thirty footer isn't that big of tree. And someone just said it's not even good for firewood? And if it's dead, that's pretty hard on a saw. So all things considered, I wouldn't touch somthing like that for under $400. and I have a chipper. Oly

GeeVee
08-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Live Oak is a subspecie of the Quercus Family.

Live Oak typically don't drop all their leaves.

The tree has a habit of branching many limbs of large caliper and being a squat full tree.

30' could be a single ten inch caliper trunk at breast height or four six inch........

One thing to consider. If you aren't a tree service, its not a easy segment of the market to master without taking some serious hits.

You have any idea what a hollow tree filled with cement can do to your saw?

Sub it.

GeeVee
08-25-2004, 10:16 PM
I burn the hell out of it for firewood..............

DFW Area Landscaper
08-26-2004, 01:03 AM
No way in hell would I touch a 30' tree of any kind for $200.

That lady is dreaming.

Live oaks are bad about having branches that have lots of bends and angles. If you're using a chipper, be ready to spend a lot of time using the chain saw on limbs. If you're planning to haul the stuff away, you'll have the trailer full in no time because those branches are angled so much. The trailer will be full with no way to get more branches in, even though there's no weight to it.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 01:32 AM
If it's anything like some of the 30' Live oaks around here, ( some of which can be 5' in main trunk diameter,give or take a foot or two..) The lady is high as a kite.. I would not touch it for a dime less than $1,000... and this is sight unseen.....Lots of work there....

ken50
08-26-2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah, you guys are right. I am just going to sub it out, and add my 10 percent.

Thanks!