PDA

View Full Version : Arguing with other LCO's

packerbacker
08-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Last week i was doing a 3 acre church. The house next to was having some work done on their pool house so some construction trucks were parked about 15 feet over onto the churchs property.

I moved a couple stripes over so i didnt blow grass all over their new trucks.

I finish up, load up my mower and im going for my trimmer when i notice a guy rolling through the property on his rider and up to my truck.

He informs me that i missed about 15 feet, but he's not going to make me unload my mower to finish it.

I tell him that there was some trucks parked there and i didnt want to get to close to them and then i thanked him for putting tracks through my fresh stripes.

He then informed me that i was rude and i wouldnt last long in the business being rude to other LCO's

I told him to take a hike.

Anyone think i went overboard? The church takes me 2 hours to do and i want it to look nice. So i dont need some a-hole messing it up.

muddstopper
08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
If you argue with an a-hole you will soon become one.

dvmcmrhp52
08-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by muddstopper
If you argue with an a-hole you will soon become one.

That pretty much covers it.
I have an account that used to belong to a women lco,she did a lousy job, I got the account, she still mows next door.
The lawn she does next door looks like a hay field EVERY week and she continuously leaves a strip of grass about 2 feet wide along the property line.
She knows where the property line is and I've talked to my customer just to be sure..............She won't make it to next year and I will have ANOTHER of her accounts. It all comes out in the wash.......err...........lawn.......LOL!

Tharrell
08-25-2004, 09:12 PM
Yup, can't argue with one without eventually becoming one. Just blow it off and move on.

GeeVee
08-25-2004, 09:24 PM
///////////////////////////////////////////
I finish up, load up my mower and im going for my trimmer when i notice a guy rolling through the property on his rider and up to my truck.

He informs me that i missed about 15 feet, but he's not going to make me unload my mower to finish it.

I tell him that there was some trucks parked there and i didnt want to get to close to them and then i thanked him for putting tracks through my fresh stripes.

He then informed me that i was rude and i wouldnt last long in the business being rude to other LCO's

////////////////////////////////////////

What was the kook thinking, "I won't make you unload....."

You might make me kick your ass.

Hello Kettle? This is the Pot, You're black.

Great, I won't stuff you under your POS for tracking up my stripes, but I might backcharge you Bobby Geek style.

No, I don't think you over reacted.

Green Care
08-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Your are a PRO!

So act like one keep up the good work no need for that.

Runner
08-25-2004, 11:42 PM
So, let me get this straight...the guy was informoing you that an area on your prop. was missed, but he was willing to knock it out for you,..hence the "I won't make you unload your mower" line. I don't think he was saying that to sound like a smart-alec. I think that was just the expression he used while he was out working. I could've very well said the same type thing under such circumstances. And you payed him back with a sarcastic "Thanks for ruining my "stripes"." comment. I may very well have said the same thing he did AFTERward, too. I'm sorry, but I think that he just took you as being cocky. It's funny, I've been in this business for 20 years now, and have met aLOT of lco's...both me initiating it AND them initiating it. I've talked to a few that haven't had much to say, and have talked to several who are as friendly as can be. I've met some good friends and allies out in the field. The ones that really get me are the young, insecure ones that think you're going to "infiltrate" thier business and steal all their accounts. Give me a break! More like GIVE some accounts AWAY to them! I've stopped on the roadside and in stations to offer help to different lco's before, and sure enough, I've had lco's stop and offer help, thinking I needed it, when they saw me changing blades or changing a tire on the trailer. THESE are the guys who are true pros in my book. I don't think I'd be too upset about a set of tracks going over your lawn...they'll go away. I remember one time, I was upset that this one guy (lco) while cutting grass at a residential across the street where my my truck was parked, blew grass on my truck. He didn't really mean anything by it, it just happened. Well, later, I ended up meeting this guy. He turned out to be a nice guy, and we talk every now and then. He is the only one in that neighborhood that does great work (comparable to mine), and I don't really mind him being in there. I know I can't mow the whole neighborhood. I would trust him to take care of my jobs for me if I ever needed help (like I just did during the last month) . I would also like to think that he could call on me if he ever needed help with anything. It is just professional courtesy bound by ethics.

HOOLIE
08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
He didnt say the other guy mowed that area for him, maybe he did though. Still, any lawn guy should know not to muck up nice stripes, they teach you that in Lawnmowing 101. But I agree that packerbacker should have held his tongue. The other guy probably didn't ride all the way over there to start something.

Pecker
08-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Runner, I'm with you on that.

printer88
08-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Unless this guy was the pastor of the church,it was none of his business.You did the right thing man.

olderthandirt
08-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Now argueing about was it right or wrong Lmao. gotta love the internet

65hoss
08-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Now argueing about was it right or wrong Lmao. gotta love the internet

Yep. Don't argue with an LCO, but do it on lawnsite. :p

Randy Scott
08-26-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by packerbacker
Last week i was doing a 3 acre church. The house next to was having some work done on their pool house so some construction trucks were parked about 15 feet over onto the churchs property.

Ummm, why didn't you kindly ask the construction guys to move their trucks? That would have allowed you to do the proper job, and never put yourself into the situation you ended up in.

IMPACT
08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I have a commercail property that borders a church paroperty maintained by a fellow LCO. The two lots meet in the middle and there is always a different crew from the other LCO there each week. One crew mows about ten feet from the middle, and I make two passes with the Stander and cut it. Maybe the following week, I will go to mow, and Dave has already been to the church to mow himself, and there will be about 3 or 4 passes into my lot that is already mowed. Now if I could only get them to mow an extra 30 feet or so over the line:D

Gravely_Man
08-26-2004, 11:23 AM
I too believe the guy that came over was just trying to be nice. That is just my impression without seeing his facial expressions or hearing his tone.

Gravely_Man

Runner
08-27-2004, 03:01 AM
It happened again today. I was going down the expressway, and near an entrance ramp, there was an LCO pulled off to the side, and he was talking to a guy in a car. I pulled off to the side, to ask if he needed ant assistance, and aaaaaall I got was a big smile, and a loud THANK you, He said HE was all set, he just pulled over to help the OTHER guy out, who happened to have run out of gas. This LCO was just on his way back to his truck with his gas can when I approached him. He said Thank you again for stopping. I said no problem, see ya around!

GarPA
08-27-2004, 03:21 AM
I'm with Randy on this one. I would have politely asked him to move his trucks for about 5 minutes and thanked him for doing so.

I'm with you Runner on talking to other guys in our business....but I have to say most of the yahoos I run into, won't or can't, even a generate a sentence or 2. Just today I was doing a property and bid good morning to an lco working right next door...the mouth-breather looked away and kept his head down. About 2/3rds of the time this is the reaction I get ....Its kind of funny to see how we are so chummy here on LS but I'd bet there is a considerable number of us here who won't communicate unless we're in front of a pc. Like others said, I won't stoop to their level and will continue to be helpful/friendly to others in our biz.