PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy Customer :(

alpine692003
08-25-2004, 09:26 PM
"Please, don't send me the same person to clean the flower beds, as he knows nothing about plants. He took out flowering plants in full bloom! Poppies that I was waiting to send when dry, mini roses etc.. I am not charging you for the plants this time.

------------ signed customer... :mad:

Well, I was here @ this house with my employee doing this bed. I do recall us both doing it and I remember it was impossible to clear out the area nicely because it was COVERED WITH WEEDS!

You could not pull out the weeds without pulling out the plants..

Anyways, what would you guys do about this? I had called the customer, told her I apologize for this. I will replcae whatever you would like to be replaced and I will take care of this situation. I do not want unhappy customers!

:confused: :confused:

Ken Kesey
08-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Apologize and replace. Not a lot else you can do.

Hey, **** happens and that's life. You made a mistake and you're fixing it.

Watch out for freebie this and that from her. Don't let her take advantage of you.

Coffeecraver
08-26-2004, 09:56 PM
if you don't know weeds from flowers then you should not take on the job.

Poppies and mini roses have very distinct leaves

The client thought she had a landscaper when in fact it was just another grass cutter

BCSteel
08-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Coffeecraver

The client thought she had a landscaper when in fact it was just another grass cutter

Wow, choke on that eh? Geez, some people ;)

D Felix
08-28-2004, 09:41 AM
That comment reminds me of a Sherrill's bumper sticker I recieved a while back:

"Hire an arborist-- Let Tom, Dick and Harry cut the grass!"

We've started using it for our own purposes here, only we've changed "arborist" to "landscaper".....

Dan

trying 2b organic
08-29-2004, 03:17 AM
btw california AND oriental poppies grow like weeds here and are regarded as such by most. Many customers would be calling me if I Didnt pull them out of the beds right alpine and BCSteel?

Coffeecraver
08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
The poppies were not in California and the statement was the flowers were in full bloom.

There are alot of people cutting grass who call themselfs Landscapers.

This is simply not true. Read the post about
"Quote You Know you are a landscaper When?

The people who responded talk of cutting grass not designing and installation of plant materials,or hardscaping.

To landscape is to modify (a natural landscape) by grading,clearing,or decorative planting.

To run a sucessfull Landscape business it may become necessary to incorporate grass cutting and other maintenance. So therefore
Landscaping and maintenance (grass cutting) are a natural marriage.

Any Landscaper can push or ride a mower, but not any grasscutter can be a landscaper. Go after more education if you want to be a landscaper,learn your flowers,trees and hardscapes
Don't take the job if don't know how to do it.

The extension agency has free phamplets on most every thing you do. They have a master gardener program which teaches
basic landscaping and design, they have a Horticulturist program.

A book from Lowe's , or Home Depot can help. if you have not done the job take the time to learn it before taking it on.

BCSteel
08-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Coffeecraver
Any Landscaper can push or ride a mower, but not any grasscutter can be a landscaper.

Ha! By extension then, any lawn jockey can be a landscaper as well. Or dont you like the way that fits your narrow profile of landscape maintenance.

D Felix
08-29-2004, 05:27 PM
There's a big difference between LAWN maintenance and LANDSCAPE maintenance.

I agree with Norm on this one......... There's more to landscaping than just throwing mulch and firing up the gas shears......:rolleyes:

Dan

BCSteel
08-29-2004, 09:10 PM
There is more to mowing than jumping on the old deere as well.

alpine692003
08-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Coffecraver - seems like you dont nkow what youre doing, but its okay..

Coffeecraver
08-30-2004, 05:49 AM
I am a Landscape Designer,and Contractor.

I have worked for the City for twenty years,and have done my share of cutting grass.
I do not cut grass in my business

I have a problem with people who cut grass and think that they are landscapers.

I have seen many of these people install mulch vocanos,improperly install plants,Top trees,install plants too deep,run airators and thachers over tree roots,weedeaters on the base of trees,mulching over top of grass because it was sprayed with round-up,jacking up the price on a job to use a piece of equipment to avoid doing something by hand,weeding flower beds and pulling the flowers along with the weeds.

There are many people who do both very well,and those people would agree with me.If you are going to do Landscaping do it right,get some education.

When I install sod,and other landscapeing I always recommend a
maintenance contract.I have not kept up with lawn maintenance
and won't do it.

I

:)

D Felix
08-30-2004, 10:08 AM
There is more to mowing than jumping on the old deere as well
I never said there wasn't. I agree with Norm completely. There are companies that do both well. There are companies that should stick to mowing, just as there are companies that should stick to landscaping.

Just because you mow doesn't automatically make you a 'scaper. I think we can all agree on that.

That being said though, there's probably a lot more knowledge needed to landscape well than there is to mow well. Equipment plays a big part in the mowing end, whereas when landscaping it's who's controlling the shovel..........

This debate could go on forever, if you still disagree with me, let's just agree to disagree, OK?:)

Dan

Ken Kesey
08-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Got to agree with CoffeeCraver on this.

He's 100% correct.

I think the only reason a lot of these mow boys get these "Extra/side/add-on" jobs is because they are simply there on site and it's easy for a h/o to say, while you're at it could you..

When doing any type of landscaping is not their cup of tea it really shows.

Not to say there is not both sides of contractor/maintenance that do well in both but it's few and far between with what I've seen.

BCSteel
08-30-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by D Felix
Just because you mow doesn't automatically make you a 'scaper. I think we can all agree on that.

That being said though, there's probably a lot more knowledge needed to landscape well than there is to mow well. Equipment plays a big part in the mowing end, whereas when landscaping it's who's controlling the shovel..........

This debate could go on forever, if you still disagree with me, let's just agree to disagree, OK?:)

Dan

Just because you are a landscaper doesnt automatically make you mowing expert either though. I think we can all agree on that as well :p

Anyways, yes, I will agree to disagree with you although as you pointed out, for the average guy out there, it is harder to come up with a decent install job than a good one time mow and go.

GreenMonster
08-30-2004, 12:02 PM
I get more mowing from my install work than the other way around.

Hey, we really like the landscaping you did next door. Do you mow grass too?
:eek:

firststarkid
08-31-2004, 12:19 PM
I am a Landscape Maintenance and Design/Build firm. Every grass cutting contract i get i sub out to somebody that just does grass wacking. There are plenty of guys out there that think they know everything there is to know about the green industry. At one time i was one of those guys. The only lawn maintenance I do is Aerating, Seeding, Dethatching, and other services along that line. Basically what i am trying to say stick to your strengths, if you are could at Landscape work stick to it and if you are good at grass wacking stick to that as well.