PDA

View Full Version : Powerwashing

double e
08-25-2004, 10:32 PM
I have chance to do lawn maintenance for a chain of gas stations- 10 total- I'm also thinking of buying a powerwashing business- turn key operation- trailer, and steam cleaner. Thinking about offering a contract to gas company for powerwashing pavement on a monthly basis. Does any body have any input on commercial powerwashing. Ex. pricing?

The reason I'm thinking of adding the business is 1. I think I can get the contrat and 2. My employees are mainly hispanic base who want as many hours as they can get.- They can do the powerwashing morning and nights when places are closed or not busy.

fga
08-25-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by double e
My employees are mainly hispanic base who want as many hours as they can get.- They can do the powerwashing morning and nights when places are closed or not busy. my guy is awesome. he doesn't care if we work 3 hours a day, or 12. i buy him lunch, my wife makes coffee in the morning...

bayoulawn
08-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Dont buy a power washing business. Just buy a power washer/steam cleaner.

PMLAWN
08-26-2004, 01:54 AM
I would ask why the business is for sale. Does it come with a route?
The next thing you have to think about is can you pay overtime to the labor to run a business? Does the gas station need/want pavement washing?
Of all the pavement cleaning, oil soaked drives are the hardest to do. Will the guy you buy from teach you how to run the business?

moneyman
08-26-2004, 02:30 AM
Make the offer, if they accept buy the equipment. If your offer is not accepted your not out a dime.

geogunn
08-26-2004, 09:52 AM
you need to investigate whether permits are required to discharge waste water.

mobilizing volatiles and hydrocarbons for discharge to surface and ground waters can be a trickey biz in terms of state and federal EPA requirements.

GEO

lpwhandyman
08-26-2004, 05:21 PM
Pressure Washing gas stations is one of the worst things to attempt. That is unless you like having your hoses run over constantly, people parking directly in front of the work you're about to do, people walking withing inches of you working and all the while thinking about the liability if someone gets hurt because of what you're doing. And as mentioned, don't get caught not reclaiming the runoff. We used to do a lot of chain type stations due to their upcoming inspections, but it doesn't take long for you to find out it's better left to someone else. I've even watched the sun come up a few times to avoid the traffic issue. But then again, just my opinion. Either way, good luck.

Del9175
08-26-2004, 06:57 PM
While I think there is some money to be made with a pressure cleaner, I would be real careful with gas stations. Do a search on pressure cleaning sites that are similiar to lawnsite. Those folks there could possibly help with these issues.

double e
08-26-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for your help- never even thought of water run off.

I'm really just buying equipment from someone getting out of the biz.- Not his routes. So basically his steam cleaner, trailer, etc.
Overtime is not a problem- going to factor it in proposal anyway. My guys already work 50-60 hr weeks anyway

Anthony-MB
08-26-2004, 11:50 PM
double e

check out Delco Cleaning Systems website,
www.dcs1.com/del/index.html (http://www.dcs1.com/del/index.html)

this page provides a lot of info on pressure washing,
they also offer onsite training and training tapes

dvmcmrhp52
08-27-2004, 12:49 AM
Hope this link works..............
Good place to start for pricing info........

http://www.dcs1.com/del/pricing.html

jphag
08-27-2004, 02:49 AM
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!1