PDA

View Full Version : Mower accident kills city worker

Littleriver1
08-26-2004, 06:24 AM
Mower accident kills city worker

Richmond Times-Dispatch Aug 26, 2004

A Richmond maintenance worker was killed yesterday when the riding lawnmower he was operating plunged down an embankment in the city's Oregon Hill neighborhood.

Montgomery Thornton, 46, was mowing a flat piece of land adjacent to the 700 block of Oregon Hill Parkway about 2:20 p.m. when the lawnmower went over the embankment, said Bill Farrar, spokesman for Richmond's Department of Public Works.

He said Thornton was a member of a crew of four or five Public Works employees, but none of the other workers saw Thornton go over the embankment.

Farrar said Thornton joined Richmond's Department of Recreation and Parks last November. The parks department's mowing operations were transferred to Public Works about two weeks ago, he said.

HydroBC
08-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Thats really sad, Ive been mowing in some pretty hairy areas myself lately, for these I try to always use walk-behinds. I'd rather have my feet on the ground than riding in a Z-turn incase I need to haul-ass in a hurry.
R.I.P brother

walker-talker
08-26-2004, 08:48 AM
It's always sad to hear of an accident that could have been prevented with just a little bit of caution. It's aweful to hear of this, but I hope others can learn from his mistake.

LwnmwrMan22
08-26-2004, 10:24 AM
Um, the news story says he was "mowing a flat piece of land". All of a sudden he went down an embankment.

Sounds like the guy either had a heart attack or other medical issue, or was not trained properly???

Gravely_Man
08-26-2004, 11:13 AM
That is so bad news to read. Accidents like this always bother me the most as this should have been preventable unless a medical issue caused the operator to have the accident.

Gravely_Man