PDA

View Full Version : Best 21" in Wet Grass?

asyracus
08-26-2004, 08:05 AM
This year I've had to cut more wet grass than ever. I'm finally fed up with clogging side dischage chutes. Can anyone recommend a 21" that can handle wet grass without a problem?

I heard that the Exmark and Toro Proline do not side-discharge well. Is this true? If these don't, then what does?!!

dishboy
08-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Why would you want to side discharge with a twenty one? Other than mowing hills if you have the space to side discharge would not a bigger mower work?

For bagging the HRC 216 is the ticket.

J-dub
08-26-2004, 08:56 AM
FWIW, my ProLine discharges just fine.

That said, almost ANY 21" will clog from time to time, especially in tall and/or wet grass.

asyracus
08-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I use side-discharge when the grass is tall and/or wet. The reason I'm using a 21" is because I mow primarily small lots. I don't even own a larger commercial walk behind (yet). It seems like every 21" I try tends to clog up so easily. Any suggestions of one that performs well in tall and/or wet grass?

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Asyracus, I do almost nothing but discharge.. If it's in your budget, I would get a 32" WB.. then you'll have a gate mower when you get bigger, and something way more productive than a 21" for now.. That said, My little 21" Snapper commercial with the Kawi motor, will march through tall, wet growth and almost never clog.. I mean you would have to TRY to clog it.. It also discharges nicely after I trimmed the deflector back about 4"... It will throw the grass about 3 mower widths now in the real heavy stuff. This, plus the machine's very high ground speed ( for a 21 ) are afew reasons why I bought a Snapper vs. a Toro....Still, I wish I had a 32"er, I'm fixing to go do a property now that involves about 30 solid minutes of 21 work......Arggh

dkeisala
08-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Mowing and bagging wet grass in the NW is way too common but we don't side discharge. Having used Honda HRC 216, Toro Pro Line 2-stroke and JD JX85, the JD is far superior in wet grass but the JX85 is no longer made - I think either the JX75 or 65 is virtually the same mower without the pressurized oil filtration but this can be added. The JD 21's are problematic with small, yet easy to fix, things commonly breaking on them. More a homeowner model rather than a commercial mower. The Honda comes in a close second and the Toro is left in the shed on wet days.

asyracus
08-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Why don't you discharge? It seems like bagging would be even MORE of a pain with wet grass. We don't have a commercial Honda dealer here, but we do have Snapper. I

'll have to check out the Snapper 21" with the Kawasaki that Txlawnking is talking about. That is a commercial unit, correct? Mind me asking how much those run in price?

dkeisala
08-26-2004, 12:58 PM
It is but try getting people around here to let you side discharge. Bagging is mandatory around here - everyone does it.

Fareway Lawncare
08-26-2004, 06:30 PM
No 21" Discharges Much Better than it can Mulch...eXcept the Lawnboys...

If Discharging w/21"'s Very Important not to run over Any Discharged areas....Mow Counter-Clockwise from perimiter or start in center & Blow Everything in..

Wet Grass ? The Honda Discharge Bad Boy....

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Asyracus, yes the Snapper I described is a commercial..You can get one with a Honda 5.5 GX ( commercial ) series engine as well. I paid $740 for mine.. I probly coulda got it for less if I had pushed the deal... As far as 21's go.. It's great

Fareway, that is a Canadian model, correct?? I've never seen one before, it looks VERY cool...

vipermanz
08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking

Fareway, that is a Canadian model, correct?? I've never seen one before, it looks VERY cool...

don't get him started on that thing, he'll start on how he has a friend that is a european dealer and basically give you the ULTIMATE story about how you can't have one...

txlawnking
08-26-2004, 08:56 PM
In that case, I don't envy him when it breaks...

fescue
08-26-2004, 09:13 PM
would like some info on the mower in the picture

odin
08-26-2004, 09:30 PM
rained like pouring piss out of a boot this morning .It was to wet to mulch so i bagged several back lawns with the toro proline .Did a great job ..The bag didnt pack as good as when dry but none the less filled up good.

Frosty_03
08-27-2004, 12:54 AM
My Honda HRC 216 dose just fine in wet grass, it has rear wheel drive and a hydrostatic tranny you can control the speed and it is really smooth to operate. I did Pay a good Penny for it though.:cool:

jphag
08-27-2004, 01:40 AM
Toro proline discharges from the rear and does work well as long as your not mowing in the rain. If the grass isn't extremely long and overly wet this mower works well.

John

ince8728
08-27-2004, 03:59 PM
i have a honda harmony 216 and it is fantastic in wet grass and has a great quality of cut. But I just got it back from the shop after having to put in the 3rd tranny so if this happens again I will be in the market fot a new 21". Any suggestions??

barringtonbrothers
08-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by hagemanj
Toro proline discharges from the rear and does work well as long as your not mowing in the rain. If the grass isn't extremely long and overly wet this mower works well.

John

I dont like the way my 2 cyc proline discharges at all, wet or dry clumps all the way. I dont bag either and the standered set up for mulching on it does not live up to my standereds, though I am really impressed with how well built it is and the fact its self propelled which is nice on those long days. I would side discharge and have to blow clumps aways, would have to blow clumps when I mulched too. I started using a lawn boy push 2 cyc, even though I had to push it, it was less work cause I didnt have to often blow clumps. I put double blades on my proline this spring, and put the mulch plug in, and now Im in love. It will mulch in thick wet grass with the best. It looks like its been bagged when I use it cause there are no clippings left. I dont know if I would buy another one, but at least Im getting what I expect out of it finally